Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times

Advertisements

I just wrote this in another thread, but I thought that I would put it in its own thread so that it would get more attention by people. Hopefully I can get through to some of you.

I am absolutely appalled at the current health situation in America. So many people are overweight and sedentary. People don't know how to eat or take care of themselves. And, when they try to lose weight they don't know how to do that either. Often they will try to starve themselves or over-exercise. Healthy weight loss is not going to be fast. It is a slow process and if you attempt to speed it up you can damage your body. This isn't healthy either.

To be healthy is not rocket science. It requires the following:

1. Eat a healthy balanced diet. Follow the food pyramid. 3-5 veggies a day, 2-3 fruits a day, 3-5 grains a day, 1-2 lean meat servings a day. If you get cravings for high calorie stuff then eat healthy high calorie stuff (olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc..). Drink only water. If nature made it then eat it.
2. Don't eat crap. If it has refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, trans-fats or something you can't pronounce then don't make it a part of your diet. If man made it then try not to eat it. I haven't drank soda in over 12 years. Occasionally I ingest something with refined sugar as a treat, but it is rare (no more than once a week).
3. Move everyday. Use your muscles.

I can't stress enough that you CANNOT starve yourself. You will only slow down your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight. You will also balloon back up quickly when you start to pig out again. By exercising you are using your muscles. Therefore you need a decent amount vitamins, minerals and protein to repair your muscles and keep them going. You still need a decent amount of calories to fuel your activity as well.

I am 31 years old and look like I am 21. I take care of myself. You don't need a personal trainer, gym membership, weight-watching plan, set of exercise DVD's or any of that crap. It just takes willpower, basic common sense and some work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,358 times
Quote:
I haven't drank soda in over 12 years.
Wow! That's impressive!

I only drink diet soda, but there is still something in the carbonation that makes me hungry! I've heard that if someone is serious about losing weight that they should indeed give up all soda...diet or not.

Now...if only I can follow my own advice!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Whenever I get a hankering for carbonation I drink carbonated water with a lime thrown in.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 16,943 times
water is the key for a feeling of faked fullness

Old 08-20-2010, 06:44 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
I should follow my own advice too, but I used to be really good about curing my diet soda craving. I would just drink flavored seltzer - lemon lime and it made me feel (kinda) like I was drinking Sprite.

I need to go back to that.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
I think you are missing one element. You loose muscle mass when you age and that causes your metabolism to slow down. You must lift some weights, I'm not talking body builder or anything, to keep your metabolism where it was when you were younger. You always hear people say that their metabolism has slowed down as they got older and it has, but not because they've gotten older...only because they have lost some muscle mass.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Yes this is pretty much common knowledge.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Yes with mrsjohnson1985 comments added.

Weight that comes off easily at 31 is much harder at 51 - do it now if you can and keep in shape. It also helps to work with a trainer when you are older to prevent joint issues and come up with a sustainable plan. You don't "need" a gym, but it sure is nice and there are some nice, affordable, gyms out there now.

It is all the same basic concept that you simply need to eat less than you burn - but you have to count on your experiences because the "calculators" may not fit everyone.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Great Advice. Losing weight is best done naturally without supplements or dieting. It takes self control and determination. I struggled with my weight during and after college and finally figured out how to keep off my unwanted pounds for good. Learn how you can do by reading this ebook: 'Time travel Back to Cute and Skinny and Stay There.' [url=http://cuteandskinny.com/]Cute and Skinny | A simple guide to shedding college pounds and returning to your high school weight[/url]

Good Luck!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I think you are missing one element. You loose muscle mass when you age and that causes your metabolism to slow down. You must lift some weights, I'm not talking body builder or anything, to keep your metabolism where it was when you were younger. You always hear people say that their metabolism has slowed down as they got older and it has, but not because they've gotten older...only because they have lost some muscle mass.
If you keep using your muscles you will not lose muscle mass. Look at Jack Lalanne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss