Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times

Advertisements

If I have to wash and chop veggies on a daily basis, eating my veggies ain't gonna happen. Trying to figure out a way to make sure I have a salad every day at least. I have washed and chopped lettuce and kept in a tupperware, and have kept carrots bits in water in a tupperware, but can you do the same for cucumber, green peppers, or other salad fixings? I don't want slimy veggies! Any ideas for how to ensure a good intake of veggies and salads daily would be appreciated. I don't work outside the home but I have twin infants and right now I'm in survival mode!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I make individual salads every day for my family. I haven't had much luck cutting veggies up in advance - they get "old" pretty quickly. So I almost always do my peeling/slicing/dicing right before meal time.

I use bagged lettuce and/or spinach and slice some baby carrots, cucumber, tomato, pepper into each bowl. Prep time is probably 15 minutes max.

When the kids were little and I was very pressed for time, we would sometimes get one of those premade veggie trays from the store. Those stay fresh in the fridge for a couple of days.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I wouldn't suggest pre-processing your salad makings. Remember though that there's no rule that says you have to eat your veggies in a salad. Scrub them with a clean scrub brush, trim off the ends, and bite down. I use my radishes, cucumbers, and peppers like many eat chips. Your babies will learn to like eating their veggies if mom is eating them, too.

Munch away.

If that doesn't work for you, toss them into a food processer and make a fine puree to use as a soup base. My S-i-L snuck her kids their veggies in their spaghetti sauce. They never knew.

Best wishes.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:20 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
I prepare a lot of my salad fixings ahead of time. I wash and spin dry my lettuce, kale, any other greens. I then store them in big baggies, separately. (freezer bags, they work much better than regular big baggies.)
Also, for processed and chopped carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers,etc, I store separately in glass snapware containers. They stay nice and fresh in there for up to a week. But try to use within 4-5 days for ultimate freshness.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I wash and spin my greens and prepare my salad. I then place all the prepared greens in a Food Saver vacuum jar and vacuum the air out. I keep it in the refrigerator, take out what I want, and re-vacuum the jar. You may not believe this but I have kept salad greens with this method up to three weeks. (The only reason the jar was in the frig that long was because I went on vacation and forgot about it). I also clean and cut up carrots and celery in this manner with similar results. It has cut my waste to almost nothing. My Food Saver more than pays for itself.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Someone told me salad would keep better in a stainless steel bowl, so I bought a big, high, narrow bowl to take up less room in the fridge.

I put cut up lettuce, red/purple cabbage, onion, green pepper, celery etc. in the steel bowl, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge.........stays good for about 5-6 days.

When I fix a salad, I get my "mix" from the bowl, then add tomato, pickled beets, croutons etc. to top off the mix.

Add dressing and you are done.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Thanks everyone. I have a Food Saver vaccuum pack system and never even thought of using that. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss