Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:05 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Thanks for that. Kashi is off my shopping list now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 PM

220 posts, read 1,028,099 times
Are the cereals not made from organic products? "The basis for our product line is our proprietary blend of Seven Whole Grains & Sesame. The whole grains include oats, long grain brown rice, hard red winter wheat, rye, buckwheat, barley, and triticale. None of these grains are harvested using genetically modified organisms. We do not voluntarily source ingredients that are genetically modified. Due to the potential for cross-contamination, cross-pollination and other factors outside of our control, we can not 100% guarantee that our non-organic line of products are GMO free."

Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 AM

9 posts, read 12,440 times
As long as the salad has a variety of vegetables, fruits, and nuts, yes. Eggs, french toast, meat, blah blah is bad for you. Point blank. Humans are meant to eat plant based foods. Yes we can eat other things but our body isn't built to so eating plants is a good thing but you have to make sure you're eating enough and a variety so you get the proper amount of nutrients.

Removed signature - no advertising allowed.

Last edited by tao; 11-11-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 12:39 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I often eat cereal for lunch - shredded wheat actually. I eat old fashioned oatmeal with dried fruit for breakfast with almond milk that I make myself. Shredded wheat is not full of all the various crap that other cereals have and I usually add some dried currants or raisins (my husband adds cinnamon to most things and it is good for you although I don't care for it) for sweetening. Even if you add a little sugar, you still end up with a healthier meal than most others. I would watch my fiber intake as although you want fiber, there is a limit! I do eat a mid-morning snack of 1/4 cup mixed nuts to "tide" me over. Also, drink herb and green teas. Way back when it first come out, I tried doing the Special K for 2 meals but I found it hard to chew, not that filling and I only liked the one with strawberries and it was $$$ and rarely on sale. It is a good way to cut your calorie intake and has health benefits.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Two bowls of processed cereal for two meals a day might help with portion control, but won't do a thing for nutrition or health.

Try a tuna or chicken sandwich for lunch. Or one of the Subway sandwiches on whole wheat roll with chicken/turkey and all the veggies but no mayo--maybe just a bit of oil vinegar. And skip the chips, soda, and cookies they offer.

That way you'll get your portion control and more of the vitamins/minerals you need.

If you must have that 2nd bowl of cereal, beef it up with some sunflower/pumpkin seeds and some chopped fruits such as apple or banana...and stick with low-fat milk or light soy milk.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Oh, and recent studies about eggs have found that an egg a day (poached or scrambled, without added fats, actually lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) raises the good one (HDL) and helps prevent strokes and heart attacks...

Does that surprise you? It did me...

One of my favorite breakfasts, when I have time, is a poached egg on half a whole wheat bagel on top of some sauteed spinach and mushrooms or a slice of tomato...keeps me going until lunch at 12 or 1...sometimes I throw on some black beans (canned) for even more of a protein boost.

If you like spicy, you can spice it up with a dab of green or red salsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss