Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have a confession to make. I have been on an exercise/dietary change now for the past 6 months. I have done very well on it, and have lost 40 lbs, and am at the lightest weight that I have been at in 16 years.

Tonight when I got home from work, I looked in the fridge for my usual light salad, but was out. My wife had gotten home a bit late, and our two children were wanting to eat out. So, I gave in, and we went by Dairy Queen. I ordered a #7 (a 6-piece Steak Finger basket that comes with gravy, fries, and a piece of Texas Toast). I ate the fries (with ketchup), the Texas Toast, and 2 of the 6 Steak Fingers (dipped in the gravy). Took the rest home.

Now I feel guilty about eating like that. Normally, when I have a "bad" day, I eat like that for lunch, that way my body has the rest of the day to burn through it. Eating at night though, does not allow this, as will be going to bed soon. I am not wanting to bloat, or start gaining while I sleep, and even though the logical part of my mind says that this won't happen, I still worry about it some.

So, to alleviate my fears, I took a walk just a little bit ago (30 minute walk, about 4mph). Now, I feel kinda silly for over-examining the situation.

My question is, do any of you feel this way now that you have reached your weight goal? Do you have any tips on maintaining what you have lost, and not lose more, but not gain back? I know I need to keep my exercise and general diet in mind, but I really shouldn't feel this way about going out to eat occasionally?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 PM

427 posts, read 549,968 times
For me personally, if I was at my lightest weight in 16 years and had lost 40 lbs, I certainly would not for even one second beat myself up for the little slip-up you're talking about. I'd certainly have deserved it(the "bad" food). No matter what the time of day.

If it were to become a regular occurrence than maybe yes, be a bit concerned. But not now.

And remember, "vegtables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini berad, and pumpkin pie."
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Any fast-food is appalling, eat freshly prepared healthy foods.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM

196 posts, read 564,156 times
That's normal that you are concerned! Would be worse if you had "I can do it, I lost 40 lbs" attitude. That just means you will not go back to being overweight. Good job on your weight loss! Keep it up!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Dude, did you write it or did the wife write it for you???

Big deal. Burn what you eat.

I take a huge food dump once in a while. It's not like I gained 20 pounds instantly. I have all kinds of way to burn it the heck out.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Hey, neighbor--try not to sweat it. You're not going to gain back the 40 pounds it took you 6 months to lose because of one trip to Dairy Queen. Remember--you'd have to consume 3,500 to many calories to gain a pound. You didn't come anywhere close to that with what you ate.

I understand the mentality because I just lost 7 pounds over 6 weeks and had a bit of a free weekend myself. I'm at my goal weight, but don't want to gain any of it back. Today I just went back to the way I've been eating and all is well.

Remember--food is neither vice nor virtue. It's energy and nutrition and you seem to be doing a great job of getting the right amount of both.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 AM

889 posts, read 2,712,513 times
How'd you feel the next day? Bags under your eyes? LOL! Hop back on the wagon now. One slip isn't an excuse to give it all up. I remember going to DQ for a whole summer with the family and getting decaf coffee. That stunk, BUT BUT BUT I loved the feeling when we left and I was healthy! I went home and made my favorite healthy treat. All you have to do is delay your gratification. Best wishes!! (I don't do the decaf coffee anymore at DQ, but I get a baby cone.)

Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Okay, I have a confession to make. I have been on an exercise/dietary change now for the past 6 months. I have done very well on it, and have lost 40 lbs, and am at the lightest weight that I have been at in 16 years.

Tonight when I got home from work, I looked in the fridge for my usual light salad, but was out. My wife had gotten home a bit late, and our two children were wanting to eat out. So, I gave in, and we went by Dairy Queen. I ordered a #7 (a 6-piece Steak Finger basket that comes with gravy, fries, and a piece of Texas Toast). I ate the fries (with ketchup), the Texas Toast, and 2 of the 6 Steak Fingers (dipped in the gravy). Took the rest home.

Now I feel guilty about eating like that. Normally, when I have a "bad" day, I eat like that for lunch, that way my body has the rest of the day to burn through it. Eating at night though, does not allow this, as will be going to bed soon. I am not wanting to bloat, or start gaining while I sleep, and even though the logical part of my mind says that this won't happen, I still worry about it some.

So, to alleviate my fears, I took a walk just a little bit ago (30 minute walk, about 4mph). Now, I feel kinda silly for over-examining the situation.

My question is, do any of you feel this way now that you have reached your weight goal? Do you have any tips on maintaining what you have lost, and not lose more, but not gain back? I know I need to keep my exercise and general diet in mind, but I really shouldn't feel this way about going out to eat occasionally?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ian
My question: how did that DQ meal taste? I mean, did you really find it to be delicious?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
My question: how did that DQ meal taste? I mean, did you really find it to be delicious?
Sure I do, Onglet. Maybe not delicious, but quite edible, nonetheless. Either way, its not that big of a deal, I suppose. It was just a general question, more about how people when they have lost weight that they maintain a certain weight without losing more. I am near that point now, and would like to know how others deal with it is all.

For those who are at the weight they want to be at, do you occasionally go out and eat "bad"? Have you noticed much of a difference later?

Oh, and thanks for the encouraging words, Marlow and Cityflair. Since I originally started this thread, I have lost another 2 pounds! Go figure!

Ian

Old 10-03-2010, 03:45 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Sure I do, Onglet. Maybe not delicious, but quite edible, nonetheless. Either way, its not that big of a deal, I suppose. It was just a general question, more about how people when they have lost weight that they maintain a certain weight without losing more. I am near that point now, and would like to know how others deal with it is all.

For those who are at the weight they want to be at, do you occasionally go out and eat "bad"? Have you noticed much of a difference later?

Oh, and thanks for the encouraging words, Marlow and Cityflair. Since I originally started this thread, I have lost another 2 pounds! Go figure!

Ian
I was just curious. So many people who feel bad about a slip-up aren't even eating something they love. You feel guilty because you over ate something that tasted "quite edible" by your own words. Why even bother to eat it at all? Why eat mediocre food that's bad for you, when you may as well eat something phenomenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss