Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times

Advertisements

Thanks, nomoresnow and JustJulia! I appreciate the comments. Not only do I think I look better, but I feel so much better too. Its like the ultimate age reduction tool!

I have so much more energy now, my Acid Reflux problems I used to have, have completely vanished, no more lower back spasms, my knees don't hurt or ache from bending, and my overall flexiblilty has drastically improved!

Yes, this is the start of the rest of my life. I never want to go back!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
here are mine I'm 5'6" btw
Feb 1st 2009 259 lbs

June 27th 2009 205 lbs

Dec 30th 2009 195 lbs

I still "weigh" a lot but I'm pretty happy with the way I look!
Wow, you look great! Congrats on the weight loss! You are well on your way to a much healthier lifestyle. What are your secrets to your weight loss?

Ian

Old 10-09-2010, 05:26 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
These pictures are so inspiring. Thanks for sharing - you both look fantastic!

Old 10-10-2010, 01:08 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Paolaola, to lose the weight, I changed the way I approached my diet, and started exercising.

- First off, I do not drink soda anymore, except once in a blue-moon.

- Second, breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. I eat anywhere from 700-900 calories for breakfast, focusing hard on the proteins (lots of meats!), some starchy carbs (salads, veggies, whole wheat bread), Milk!

- Third, I then eat about 4 "snack" meals a day, consisting of a piece of fruit each time, with my dinner being a very light affair of a slice or two of lunchmeat turkey, and a small glass of milk. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

- Fourth, I weightlift 3-4x a week, and mind you these aren't real hardcore weight-training sessons. First day I will do my chest/shoulders/tricepts/thighs. Second day I do my bicepts/forearms/wrists/calves/back. I also do stomach crunches in the morning and evenings on both days (4 sets of 25 each). Every 2 weeks, I take a three day weekend off from weightlifting.

- Fifth, I do interval cardio training on my treadmill. Google interval training. Lots of good resources out there for it. I do this 4x a week, mostly after I get done with my weight training. On the every 2 weeks that I take off 3 days from weightlifting, I will do interval cardios on the second day, along with stomach crunches.

*Note: My total workout time on an average day is about 45 minutes*

Thats about it. I still have my cup of coffee in the mornings, but lay off of the sodas as much as possible. I walk alot at my job too, so that also helps.

Ian
Congratulations Ian, you look great. I too stopped buying soda in the house. Once in a while, when I go to a restaurant, I might have some but so far, I think I have reduced soda 90%. It saves me 400+ calories a day and a great deal of pocket money!

I wish I could share my before pic but I tend not to take any when I am fat. I topped the scaled at 178 a few months ago (I am around 5'8"+). I have lost only about 8-10 in three months by exercising (boxing, cardio kickboxing and some strength training). I also walk regularly. I am now going to start a real healthy diet in which I am going to do portion control, which I have not done yet ( I eat A LOT, meaning large portions).

One thing I noticed recently and want to share is that it may be great to eat fiber but not in excess. Last week I overloaded in fiber (brown rice and lentils) and my stomach was huge for several days. Fiber is great but in moderation.

Good luck to all trying to lose weight!

Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Congratulations Ian, you look great. I too stopped buying soda in the house. Once in a while, when I go to a restaurant, I might have some but so far, I think I have reduced soda 90%. It saves me 400+ calories a day and a great deal of pocket money!

I wish I could share my before pic but I tend not to take any when I am fat. I topped the scaled at 178 a few months ago (I am around 5'8"+). I have lost only about 8-10 in three months by exercising (boxing, cardio kickboxing and some strength training). I also walk regularly. I am now going to start a real healthy diet in which I am going to do portion control, which I have not done yet ( I eat A LOT, meaning large portions).

One thing I noticed recently and want to share is that it may be great to eat fiber but not in excess. Last week I overloaded in fiber (brown rice and lentils) and my stomach was huge for several days. Fiber is great but in moderation.

Good luck to all trying to lose weight!
Thanks Ambarstone! Sounds like you are definately taking the right approach to your diet and workout routine, especially kicking the soda habit! Sounds like you have a great cardio routine as well. I have considered trying the kickboxing to supplement the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) that I do. I am curious about what kind of strength training you do? Also, sounds like you are losing weight the HEALTHY way, by doing it slow. Your body will adapt to it much easier that way, and it will be much harder for you to gain weight down the road!

Great inspirational stories, all! I love to hear them, hopefully some more people will submit pictures of their before/after bodies!

Ian

Old 10-10-2010, 01:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Congrats guys! You look great! ~high five~ (JOCK IT UP! )

Old 10-10-2010, 01:34 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
Ian,
For strength training I just do machines at the gym 2 or 3 times a week with at least a day in between. I do the whole body every time, 3 sets of 10-12 repeats. I've known these pieces of equipment for years but never focus on the names. I know one of them is the seated leg press and I do the standing calf as well as arms, chest and back. I also started spinning once a week recently to do something different. The kickboxing I do is not the real martial art but a really high intensity and fun cardio workout that burns lots of calories. Still, I've picked a bit of self defense by learning the roundhouse kick, which is pretty cool.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Thanks, pitt_transplant! I appreciate the compliment!

ambrastone: Sounds like you have a good strength-training regiment. Having a day of rest is fundamental between workout sets for any given part you are working out prior. The kickboxing routine sounds like a good, deep cardio burn! I bet it helps keep your blood pumping!

Ian

Old 10-31-2010, 12:01 PM

Default Newest Weight loss before/after pics!

Well folks, it may be Halloween, no tricks, but here is my treat! I am now down to 158 lbs (see first post from earlier this month for my first before/after pic when I was 165). I have now lost 49 lbs, and have reached my weight goal between 155-160!

Anyhow, here is my newest before and after pic!

... and yes, the photo of the before was scanned off of my drivers license that I had done at that time (shortly after the picture in the first post). What a difference! I hardly recognize my old self!

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss