Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,847,802 times

Advertisements

Wow! All three of you look awesome! What a difference.

I have a question for anyone who has lost a lot. Did you have knee pain when you were bigger that went away after losing a lot of weight?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:28 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,996,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Wow! All three of you look awesome! What a difference.

I have a question for anyone who has lost a lot. Did you have knee pain when you were bigger that went away after losing a lot of weight?
When I weighed over 200 lbs, knee pain was one of several "pains" I was experiencing. It was worse when I would be sitting down and having to get up. There would be a piercing pain that would sometimes go through when doing this.

I would have to unbutton my pants just to bend over and tie my shoes. I had horrid acid reflux, to the point where I would stop breathing when I would sleep (my wife said I would be "gargling" in my sleep just prior to stop breathing). I would then be choking and coughing stuff up for the next 15-20 minutes. I had alot of lower back pain. Lots of back spasms. Felt tired all the time. Got out of breath easily. Had constant diarehha.

Since then, ALL these symptoms have gone away. No drugs needed. Just commitment to the lifestyle change. I have a completely renewed look at life, and am enjoying it far more than I ever did when I was overweight. I also have alot more of a positive outlook on things, and it reflects in everything I do.

Incidentally, I hit a milestone the day before yesterday. I have officially lost 50 lbs since March now (now at 157)! What an incredible feeling!

Ian

Old 11-06-2010, 09:06 PM

541 posts, read 2,132,443 times
Congrats on your success, Ian! That's so awesome!

I, too, had a lot of weight-related health issues including joint pain, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, reflux etc. ALL of that is GONE now that the weight it gone

Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,549,362 times
Shucks, I don't have any before and after pics but I was at my biggest 170 and today I am 120 pounds. I didn't set a time on my weight loss, just a goal weight and my goal was 130 but I enjoyed my new way of eating and kept doing it. Most of my adult life I weighed 117 and people have forgotten that and a lot of them think I have lost to much weight and look sick now.. But GOSH! It feels good to be skinny again! I went from a size 14 (needing a 16) back down to a size 8.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:35 PM

Congrats on your great weight loss, Laura! Its a great feeling knowing that you accomplished something that so many people have failed at, or struggle so hard to achieve. Its also neat that I can fit in pant sizes that I wore in high school!

I think that its great you didn't set a time for your weight loss. It tends to put too much stress on your psyche when you don't achieve a certain goal within a prescribed time frame. I think alot of people just give up when they don't think they can do it, because they haven't lost enough weight in the time they think it should be done.

Again, congrats!

Ian

Old 11-25-2010, 12:48 PM

362 posts, read 389,599 times
I'm not putting a fat pic of me on here. But Jan of 2010 I weighed over 260. My current pic is on my profile.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:50 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,952,644 times
You look great Peep!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:52 PM

Wow! You lost a phenomenal amount of weight, Peep! There is no way I would have guessed you had weighed 260! Again, congrats! You truly are an inspiration!

Ian

Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM

3,087 posts, read 3,201,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Paolaola, to lose the weight, I changed the way I approached my diet, and started exercising.

- First off, I do not drink soda anymore, except once in a blue-moon.

- Second, breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. I eat anywhere from 700-900 calories for breakfast, focusing hard on the proteins (lots of meats!), some starchy carbs (salads, veggies, whole wheat bread), Milk!

- Third, I then eat about 4 "snack" meals a day, consisting of a piece of fruit each time, with my dinner being a very light affair of a slice or two of lunchmeat turkey, and a small glass of milk. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

- Fourth, I weightlift 3-4x a week, and mind you these aren't real hardcore weight-training sessons. First day I will do my chest/shoulders/tricepts/thighs. Second day I do my bicepts/forearms/wrists/calves/back. I also do stomach crunches in the morning and evenings on both days (4 sets of 25 each). Every 2 weeks, I take a three day weekend off from weightlifting.

- Fifth, I do interval cardio training on my treadmill. Google interval training. Lots of good resources out there for it. I do this 4x a week, mostly after I get done with my weight training. On the every 2 weeks that I take off 3 days from weightlifting, I will do interval cardios on the second day, along with stomach crunches.

*Note: My total workout time on an average day is about 45 minutes*

Thats about it. I still have my cup of coffee in the mornings, but lay off of the sodas as much as possible. I walk alot at my job too, so that also helps.

Ian
I've recently started incorporating weight training into my work out regime. I gotta start eating breakfast. I realize that if I eat breakfast, I don't need lunch so that's a better choice for me and plus it is more important. It's just I worry about getting a stomach ache while at school(public bathrooms yuck!). I don't drink alot of soda anyway so that's not an issue. But good job though.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I've recently started incorporating weight training into my work out regime. I gotta start eating breakfast. I realize that if I eat breakfast, I don't need lunch so that's a better choice for me and plus it is more important. It's just I worry about getting a stomach ache while at school(public bathrooms yuck!). I don't drink alot of soda anyway so that's not an issue. But good job though.
Thanks, pandora! Eating breakfast is quinnessential to losing weight. Breakfast allows your body to maintain such a good energy level during the day! Plus, if you eat a large breakfast, you have all day to burn it off, and not have to eat so much later in the day. It also regulates your insulin levels alot better. Remember, Breakfast means "breaking from the fasting" that you did overnight.

I am actually at a weight now where I actually NEED TO STOP losing from! I am down to 148 lbs now. 150 was about the bottom weight I wanted to be at, so I am now trying to adjust to a maintenance caloric weight (which is alot harder to do than I thought it would be). I am also trying to "zig zag" my calories some, so my body doesn't get too used to a steady rate.

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss