U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,204,368 times
Default High fat diet?

My sister just told me that she has lost 8 pounds in a couple of months. She's not fat, but has always wanted to lose some weight, and never could, no matter what.

She says she just said to hell with it, and started eating more fatty foods. And then lost weight. Her retrospective theory is that by eating fattier meals, she is more satisfied after eating, eats less overall, and doesn't so quickly shift into the munchies mode.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 12:03 AM

36,067 posts, read 55,947,661 times
Did she cut out carbs too? I've done the low-carb/high-protein thing before, and it was quite effective. After a few days you really do just stop being hungry all the time. But it's hard to stick to; you get tired of eating protein and dairy all the time and wishing you could just have a couple slices of bread.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,205,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My sister just told me that she has lost 8 pounds in a couple of months. She's not fat, but has always wanted to lose some weight, and never could, no matter what.

She says she just said to hell with it, and started eating more fatty foods. And then lost weight. Her retrospective theory is that by eating fattier meals, she is more satisfied after eating, eats less overall, and doesn't so quickly shift into the munchies mode.
Sorry and no offense, but this is STUPID. Classic case of someone with extreme tunnel vision of "gotta lose weight....gotta lose weight....gotta lose weight....etc." instead of thinking "What can I do to become more HEALTHY?"

High fat diet will lead to nothing but death. DEATH. Clogged arteries, heart disease, etc. I hope she doesnt have any children because it would be a shame for them to have to bury their mom.

I mean really, HIGH FAT DIET? REALLY?!?!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 AM

25 posts, read 21,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Sorry and no offense, but this is STUPID. Classic case of someone with extreme tunnel vision of "gotta lose weight....gotta lose weight....gotta lose weight....etc." instead of thinking "What can I do to become more HEALTHY?"

High fat diet will lead to nothing but death. DEATH. Clogged arteries, heart disease, etc. I hope she doesnt have any children because it would be a shame for them to have to bury their mom.

I mean really, HIGH FAT DIET? REALLY?!?!

I don't even know where to begin with this post.
Can you back up your claim that "high-fat" diets will lead to "DEATH"? I have looked at some of the "studies" done on "high fat" diets and they are pathetic. They only show correlations, not cause and effect. And they further have not definitively shown that all high-fat diets lead to atherosclerosis and other conditions; in fact, most indicate that diets high in processed fatty meats lead to these conditions. Because there are different ways to follow a high fat diet, making the claim that they will lead to death is absolutely absurd.

You don't even have enough information to know what type of diet this person is on, i.e., you don't have any idea what types of fat they are eating, what foods they are consuming, etc.

High fat diets, if done the right way (not snacking on bacon and sausage all day) are perfectly fine for the human body. I get my numbers done every year. Cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, all are excellent.

Have some responsibility before you start making ridiculous claims that will be greatly misunderstood.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,205,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS_2009 View Post
High fat diets, if done the right way (not snacking on bacon and sausage all day) are perfectly fine for the human body. I get my numbers done every year. Cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, all are excellent.

Have some responsibility before you start making ridiculous claims that will be greatly misunderstood.
So you are one of these high fat diet people huh?

High fat leads to coronary artery disease which leads to DEATH.
High fat leads to clogged arteries which leads to DEATH.
High fat can lead to blood clotting or plaque build up in thin arteries which can lead to stroke which leads to DEATH.
High fat leads to obesity which leads to MANY ailments many of which leads to DEATH.
High fat (trans fat) has been shown to correlate to higher risk of cancer (primarily breast cancer) and we all know what cancer leads to.
High fat diet leads to high blood pressure which of course leads to a number of ailments that all lead to DEATH.

Sure we need some fat in our diet (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) but even still, too much (i.e., HIGH FAT) is still BAD.

Whatever happened to speaking with a NUTRITIONIST and EXERCISING? Are people really THAT lazy nowadays? Are you guys all trying to come up with a diet as stupid and dangerous as the HCG diet?

PROPER NUTRITION AND EXERCISE PEOPLE!!! PROPER NUTRITION AND EXERCISE FOR WEIGHT LOSS AND HEALTH IMPROVEMENT. Stay away from stupid "high this" and "low that' type diets if you want to be healthy.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:45 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Fat does make you feel fuller. But there is a limit to the amount of fat that she should be taking in. My s.o. did a "low fat" diet and then he lost when he switched to normal fat. BUT he started eating a lot of those foods so the calories started to add up. Fat has the highest amount of calories of any food type (you have: carbs, proteins and fat)

She is going from one extreme to the other possibly. She may just be eating normal fat if she was going low fat before. And if she ate a lot of that low fat substitute stuff with corn syrup her body could of been packing on pounds from all that sugar. She may have the body type that gains from corn syrups. There have been studies showing rats gained more on the same amount of calories when the calories were made up of corn syrup. (HFCS)

UPHS Nutrition Care Guide: Fat in Your Diet

"
-less than 10% of your daily calories from saturated fat
-no more than 10% of your daily calories from polyunsaturated fat
-10 to 15% of your daily calories from monounsaturated fat
In other words, your total fat intake should be divided in thirds among three types of fat. If your total fat allowance for the day is 65 grams, then your saturated fat intake should be less than 22 grams, your polyunsaturated fat intake less than 22 grams, and your monosaturated fat intake between 25 and 33 grams."

A guide for figuring out her fat intake. Pass it on before the calories start catching up to her. Even a 10 pound fat gain can slow the metabolism so its worth mentioning it sooner than later.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:

High fat can lead to blood clotting or plaque build up in thin arteries which can lead to stroke which leads to DEATH.
High fat leads to obesity which leads to MANY ailments many of which leads to DEATH.
High fat (trans fat) has been shown to correlate to higher risk of cancer (primarily breast cancer) and we all know what cancer leads to.
High fat diet leads to high blood pressure which of course leads to a number of ailments that all lead to DEATH.

Sure we need some fat in our diet (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) but even still, too much (i.e., HIGH FAT) is still BAD.

Whatever happened to speaking with a NUTRITIONIST and EXERCISING? Are people really THAT lazy nowadays? Are you guys all trying to come up with a diet as stupid and dangerous as the HCG diet?

PROPER NUTRITION AND EXERCISE PEOPLE!!! PROPER NUTRITION AND EXERCISE FOR WEIGHT LOSS AND HEALTH IMPROVEMENT. Stay away from stupid "high this" and "low that' type diets if you want to be healthy.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The only thing amidst your ramblings that I will agree on is the statement about trans fat. You didn't even bother to respond to the specifics of my post (knowing what type of high fat diet the person is on, what foods they are eating, etc.) and instead you simply continue with your fat = death garbage.

High fat = death is a complete joke and is completely and utterly unsubstantiated. If the person was not exercising and eating only bacon and sausage every day then the mortality rate would certainly increase. But this does NOT (are you getting this?) mean that "high fat = death."

Tell me, do you understand that there are many different types of fats?

And for the record, I don't know what you mean by "one of those high fat diet people." I am not recommending that everyone go low carb. I am not recommending everyone go with a higher fat diet.

The only point I wanted to make is that your assertion that high fat = death is a complete joke due to its overgeneralization.

I would suggest a bit of reading on the subject before you continue to make these overgeneralizations and convince people that you know what you are talking about.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:33 PM

155 posts, read 68,095 times
Quote:

I totally agree with all of this. Well said.

ALS gal, you mentioned in one of your posts in defense of the HIGH FAT DIET that you get your "....numbers done every year. Cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, all are excellent." so its obvious to all that you DO this HIGH FAT DIET. If its so great, why dont you post some of its benefits for us?

Ive searched the net on this and come up with nothing that would convince me that this is healthy for anyone to go on.

A good baseline or parameter for any diet is to ask yourself "Would I feed my child this diet?". If the answer is NO then, you should not be taking it either.

As the post above said - Its all about getting proper nutrition. Not HIGH FAT, HIGH Carb, LOW carb, HIGH Protein, etc.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
I totally agree with all of this. Well said.

ALS gal, you mentioned in one of your posts in defense of the HIGH FAT DIET that you get your "....numbers done every year. Cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, all are excellent." so its obvious to all that you DO this HIGH FAT DIET. If its so great, why dont you post some of its benefits for us?

Ive searched the net on this and come up with nothing that would convince me that this is healthy for anyone to go on.

A good baseline or parameter for any diet is to ask yourself "Would I feed my child this diet?". If the answer is NO then, you should not be taking it either.

As the post above said - Its all about getting proper nutrition. Not HIGH FAT, HIGH Carb, LOW carb, HIGH Protein, etc.
First, i'm not a woman.

I responded to his "you're one of those high fat diet people" by saying that I was not advocating people eat this way. I only said that his claims were aboslutely ridiculous. I've said this several times and have given my reasons as to why his overgeneralization is inaccurate. There are plenty of variables to consider when someone tells you they are doing a "high-fat" diet. That is my point; he doesn't have enough information to say high fat diet = DEATH. Facts are important, such as what foods are you eating? How much fat are you getting? What types of fats are you getting? Are you exercising? Etc.

This is the same kind of thinking that has perpetuated the myth that whole eggs are bad for you.

The benefits of high fat diet?

As someone else mentioned, you feel fuller for longer periods of time because fat has 9 calories per gram as opposed to only 4 for protein and carbs.

Lower carb diets are also very effective at burning fat. (NOTE: I am NOT saying everyone should go on a higher fat/low carb diet if they want to lose weight. Just that they can be very effective for fat burning). This is because carbs release more insulin than protein and fat, which blunts the bodies ability to burn adipose tissue. Lower carb diets, however, control for insulin and also help release fat-burning hormones.

People also often report that cravings for sweets or other types of carbs decrease when on a lower carb diet. I know personally when I eat more carbs I think to myself how easy it would be to splurge and eat even more of them. I often get cravings that are not present when I only have carbs during certain times.

You can also function perfectly off of a diet that is low in carbs but higher in fat. There are no essential carbohydrates. That's something to keep in mind (just trying to disspell the additional myth that your body *needs* carbs to function).

Fun fact, because you brought up children: children who suffer from epileptic seizures have been given a diet that puts them into ketosis. This has resulted in a significant decrease in the frequency with which they have seizures.

Before people misconstrue this and claim i'm advocating that children be put into ketosis i'll make it clear that was only brought up because it's interesting and shows that it will not harm children - nothing more.

Now, some people will not feel good off a lower carb diet (and let's assume they have actually taken at least a week to switch over to fat-burning before they make this individualized assessment). However, lots of people can do quite well on it. It is difficult, I admit, to stick to it if you constantly eat out. But there are always options if you are diligent enough and don't given up easily.

Again, the ONLY point i'm trying to make is that his post was a COMPLETE overgenerlization.

high fat = DEATH is so absurd I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It is a MYTH and is completely unsupported. Again, those studies that try to show a correlation between higher fat diets (aka red meat) and cancers or other diseases/conditions are flawed IMO. I have my reasons and will share them if you'd like.

A few last things: dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels in many people, and eating fat will NOT in any way shape or form make you fat. This is another complete overgenerlization. (His comment that high fat makes you obese? Seriously?? This is unbelievably false).

A "proper" diet is definitely key, I agree. But a "proper" diet does NOT have to follow some silly guidelines like 55% carbs, no more than 10% fat, and 35% protein. We are all different and can respond differently depending on what we eat.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 PM

9,741 posts, read 9,296,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Did she cut out carbs too? I've done the low-carb/high-protein thing before, and it was quite effective. After a few days you really do just stop being hungry all the time. But it's hard to stick to; you get tired of eating protein and dairy all the time and wishing you could just have a couple slices of bread.
My brother did the Atkins diet one time. After he had been on it a while, he went to a restaurant to eat. Part way through the meal, he leaned over and told another diner to tell the police he was mugged for his bread. The diner moved his bread plate out of reach.

That's the problem with diets that restrict entire categories of foods --- you crave what you're told you cannot eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss