U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM

302 posts, read 1,507,010 times

Advertisements

Thinking of paying for a 5-day program there, wondering if anyone else has tried this or knows about it. Info here: Duke Diet & Fitness Center Five-Day Intensive Program - Duke Diet & Fitness Center - DukeHealth.org

It's about $2400 for the 5 days, all meals included (extra costs for hotel stay & airfare.) Any opinions, reviews about this? Also, can anyone recommend a comparable weight loss/fitness program, for a similar price or less?

I'm a female in my mid-50s, in general good health, no chronic conditions, able to exercise, about 30 - 35lbs overweight right now at about 155lbs (I'm only 5'2"), but have spent my whole life being overweight from childhood on, up to a peak of 225lbs 30 yrs ago, spent many years in the 180s or 190s, just a few years in the 120s or 130s.)

Feel free to direct me to other websites or PM me with info. Thanks.

Last edited by newbie09; 01-03-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,824,190 times
Just curious--what do you think you will get from this program that you cannot get by reading and learning and then doing the work on your own?

The information that they'll give you is readily available in books and online and after the 5 days, it's still going to be a matter of sticking to your food plan and exercise goals. For that kind of money you could probably pay for a gym membership, a personal trainer and therapy to address any underlying issues you have for 6 months. And in 6 months you can easily lose 30 lbs.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM

302 posts, read 1,507,010 times
Marlow, I understand what you're saying about not spending that money (totaling about $2500) and working on weight loss myself or using that money for health club membership, personal trainer, etc. It's something to think about but I've been trying to lose weight myself and failing at it. And every winter I gain about 15lbs, last year I got up to 165- 170lbs, trying to avoid that this year.

I'm wondering if immersing myself in a one-week program will be a great jump-start (I don't expect to lose 30lbs in one week! maybe 5lbs or so?) Plus I have some interest in exploring the Durham NC area where the program is located (I'm in Charlotte NC & considering relocating.)

But I'll think about ways to invest that money into other weight loss programs locally. In the meantime, still hoping to hear opinions about the Duke Diet/Fitness Center program.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 AM

18 posts, read 24,670 times
Default Is the DFC right for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Marlow, I understand what you're saying about not spending that money (totaling about $2500) and working on weight loss myself or using that money for health club membership, personal trainer, etc. It's something to think about but I've been trying to lose weight myself and failing at it. And every winter I gain about 15lbs, last year I got up to 165- 170lbs, trying to avoid that this year.

I'm wondering if immersing myself in a one-week program will be a great jump-start (I don't expect to lose 30lbs in one week! maybe 5lbs or so?) Plus I have some interest in exploring the Durham NC area where the program is located (I'm in Charlotte NC & considering relocating.)

I may be late to the game in replying (I just came across this) but I thought that I would spread the word about the DFC.
The programs offered at the DFC is not just something you'll find in a book or otherwise online. Not only is the information unique to the DFC but so is the classes, the consultations with the nutritionists, psychologists, medical as well as the fitness staff. The personal training sessions, salt water pool, exercise equipment, yoga, and the meals all cannot be found online or in a book. It's an experience that makes this program the leading program for 40+ years.

As for the 5-day program, I would recommend the following to consider first:
  • A crazy amount of activities and information will be thrown at ya
  • Depending on how fast you can retain information, the 5-day program may not be for you
  • I would recommend the 2 week or 4 week program (you do not have to take all of the weeks at once, you can split it up).
  • Having access to the 2-4 week program will give you more exposure to everything offered instead of an abbreviated 5-day window of information.

I am AT The DFC at this very moment, so I have a good, insider-info sort of perspective. The programs are solid. The prices may be a tad much, but realistically, how much is your health worth to you?
If you want to just have books to read, websites to visit and you have the willpower all on your own to stay consistent, as well as to change those bad habits and reflexes all on your own, then by all means please do proceed.
But if you need help, if you do not wish to proceed on this all alone, if you want to truly learn how to change your way of thinking towards food, if you want the support of a great staff "in it for YOU!", then the DFC is the place to be.
Call them at their 800 # (1-800-235-3853) or just email me, I'll give ya more info, no problem. knights68@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or