Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,466 times

Advertisements

Actually, I dont eat that much potatoes...(I get my potassium in potassium pills for my heart).

My Wife says she is going to go with "splenda" instead of sugar, so I can still have sweet teas and kool aide, (everyone in my family drinks that, and the kids drink milk besides that). If there is something better, that tastes good, Im open to suggestions??

I might eat three meals a day if I get up at a regular time... But, I dont get up at regular hours! Sometimes I get up at 8am, and other times, like today I got up at 2:30pm!
Being RETIRED, I get up when I want, go to bed when I want, and listen to my Wife when she needs to unload on me, because Im 'too fat'

Though, I will give her this, she does take me most of the time, to my exercise sessions, when I want, (when ever she isnt busy, of course).

I will stop the sweet teas and kool aide until she gets the splenda, and in a couple of months, it may start showing-->I do everything for long term effect, because, Im a long term type person, and know if anything is done for short term gain, its for nothing!

Thanks to all that replied so far, and anything else you think of, please feel free to let me know

I wish you well...

Jesse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
some peple are very anti artificial sweetner, so you may get negatives for splena...i had gastric bypass and use splenda and splenda sweetend sugar free products alot now as sugar and honey dont yet agree with my new pouch...but it should still be used in moderation!
i cant have saccarine or asparteme so splenda it is lol

stevia might be a better choice but it doesnt agree with me.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Thumbs down to splenda. it's poison.
As for eating regularly, if you want to lose weight, you will have to do so. Your excuses are bogus and will result in you remaining obese and you will die prematurely. What time you wake up is irrelevant to eating regularly. You will fail to lose weight if you don't change your routine and that includes eating regularly. Period. after all, what is the purpose of body fat? it is excess energy your body has consumed but has not used. not eating promotes the storage of body fat, because your body doesn't know when it will get more food. so it clings to the calories you give it.

Good luck

Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners at all. They are basically just chemicals formulated to taste sweet. Think about it too...you are not changing your eating habits by replacing sugar with artificial sweeteners...you are still craving/needing sweets. Get rid of it!

I go to weight watchers and while I like the program, some of the people at the meetings are beyond ridiculous with what they will consume to make their points stretch. Fat free cool whip (what the hell is cool whip anyway???), cake made with diet coke, Vitatop muffins... Nobody seems to eat REAL FOOD...which is what you need to be doing.

General rule of thumb....if you can't harvest it or slaughter it you shouldn't be eating it. And no fake food which includes anything labeled "fat free" and "sugar free" and read the lables if it says "no sugar added"...sometimes it just means no white cane sugar added but it has splenda or nutrasweet in it.

Also, I understand that you are retired, but waking at 2:30 in the afternoon isn't going to help you with your weight loss. You are wanting to lose weight so you can be healthy, correct? Part of that equation is getting enough sleep at regular intervals. You need to get your body in a normal, natural rhythm which means going to bed and waking the same time (within reason). That will help alleviate some of the poor eating patterns.

Find something to do that you want to wake up in the morning for, NOT the computer. The computer promotes a sedentary lifestyle. Why not sign up for a morning exercise class? You don't need to get up at 6:00 a.m. but something at 9:00 a.m. would get you up and moving and we all know the more we move, the more we will lose.

Stop making excuses and blaming your wife. Tell her that it hurts your feelings when she puts you down and it's not helping you to be successful. If she is busy and can't take you to the gym, do something at home. Buy a cheap video to do while you are at home. Do jumping jacks, squats, arm circles, jump rope, jog in place, walk around the neighborhood or go up and down your stairs a few times...simple things to keep you moving. If she buys crap food, don't eat it. If she makes a big pitcher of sweet tea, don't drink it. I know it's hard to say "no" to something that is tempting you, but think of it this way...nothing will taste as good as losing weight will feel!

Good Luck and stick around. Sometimes this board may sound harsh (mostly they are just pointing out reality) but they are a helpful bunch. I definitely recommend you take a look at the Exercise and Fitness board. There are lots of great ideas over there as well.

PS...water should be your beverage of choice. Add some lemon or orange slices to it if you hate plain water. After a while you will not miss the Kool-Aid or sweet tea. I used to drink soda and sweet tea and now I cannot even stomach the sugary sweet taste of it. You will get used to it and wonder why you ever drank it!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:37 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
OK, I have been exercising Since last February, mostly 2-3 times a week, sometimes only once (rare occasions).

What I want to know is this...

Can I lose the 'weight' I want, by simply exercising?

Im losing 'inches' so far, but, my Wife insists that I have to 'DIET' also, in order to lose weight. I keep telling her NO! I believe at some point, I will have a 'break even point', where my muscles will out weigh, or be more, than my 'fat', so that I will burn more fat off, as I pound out the weights.
Your grandkids bones will be dust before your muscles alone burn your fat off if you are already overweight. You will not build more than 4 lbs of muscle/year unless you plan on taking anabolic steroids, and muscles don't burn that much calories by themselves.

I have tried dieting with out exercise...(every diet that came down the pike, and never lost more than the 10 pounds of water weight, and being a heart patient, I can take a 'water pill' and lose that in one night!), and have never succeeded, so, I figure, it was time to try a new route.
Diet's usually don't go far without a good cardio program.

I plan on doing this until next February 2012, and see if I get anywhere in regards to my weight loss. My Heart Doctor thinks I am doing Great...but, he really isnt keeping track of my weight.
Heartproblems makes things tough, but we all have our personal obstacles, and they're there to succumb to your ironwill to succeed.

My Regular Doctor wants me to go under the knife to a 'lapband'...I said "No Thanks", I will exercise this off, before I allow anyone to 'slice and dice' on me!!
I'd do the same.

Im 356 pounds, and have been that way for months now, but, I can fit into a shirt that my Wife bought for me a couple of Christmas's ago, that was too short So, Im doing Great in that department...
If you are able to be honest to yourself, the mirror is your best measure of succes. many, especially women stare themselves blind on the scale. The scale will tell your weight, not how much fat you've gained or lost.

So, has anyone ever lost the Weight by exercising it off, OR, DO I have to finally give up and admit to my Wife that she is right, and submit to a diet plan of her choosing?
I lose 10-20 lbs of fat weight every spring. (after the prior years bulking) The key is to combine a solid diet(no fkn hocus-pokus, just eating clean and moderate) with a good cardio and weight program. The weight is mostly for keeping muscle gained out of your natural ordinary. This is especially important when the BF% get's really low. A good indicator of this is when the abmuscles starts sticking out.

Something to add considering the heartproblems: Go for ammount rather than intensity when it comes to the cardio.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 PM

OK, maybe I didnt give you enough information as to 'why' I cant 'move' right.

Im partially disabled... Meaning, my last three vertebraes are narrowed, and the nerves are apparently exposed, because I cant stand up for more than 15 seconds with out extreme pain. I've had the Doctors try and 'burn' the nerve endings off, to give me relief for six months...It didnt work, all the way, (had half of my back, temperarily relief of pain, but, the nerve grew back long before it was time, and if I dont take vicodin twice a day, I cant even get around very well.

Thats the reason I 'dont' get around, because I dont want to be a vicodin junkie!! I go to the Pain Center and they give me drugs, but, thats all I can get. I went to a spine Doctor a few days ago, and he simply told me I was too heavy and I would die on the table with my heart condition, so that he wouldnt even look at me, and refunded me my money!

I can drink water-->My Water is 'double filtered' in the house, so I dont get the lime they put in the pipes for my City, but, when I go to exercise session, I do drink thier water and it simply makes me sick after a few bottles, and by the time Im ready to go home, my stomach is actually nauseated LOL.
And to think, I worked at the 'dirty side' of our water system, and would never drink water unless its been filtered a lot.

So, as of today, I am drinking water and ice water.

When my Wife starts me on a diet, she cuts up carrots and celerely for me GAG!! I love veggies, but, munching on those two things just dont make it for me. Ive downed bags of radishes and other things, but, those two items just remind me of 'wabbit food' and my mind rolls at the thought of eating those two items-->(especially when she gives me a 'dip' to eat with them!).

I will start eating more and more veggies and more meals a day-->strange as it seems, that makes sense, skipping meals and my body may go into hybernation because of it...could be and wont doubt that one, as I cant disprove it, and anything right now, well, Im willing to try something new.

I will tell my Wife not to buy me anymore sweets, and will put the rest of them in the trash. Since its all sugar anyways, and thats detrimental to what I want for my outcome. If I can beat this "sugar addiction", as you say, that may be a good start to losing the fat.

Thanks for those who contributed so far, and Im willing to listen and learn still...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
I think you should buy a copy of "Younger Next Year"

They argue that a combination of excercise and "not eating crap" is all you need to do but note

Not eating crap is a MAJOR premise of their argument - so they are not about you dieting per se but all about eating right -- personally I am avoiding splenda and diet cokes and stuff like that like the plague ....... also no high fructose corn syrup for me but limited, very limited sugar. It is amazing how sweet an apple or an orange is if you do that. no need for sweeteners.

Maybe that could work for you.........Me, I have stalled for quite a while and and going back to counting calories along with the excerise. It got off 60 lbs now I need to move on.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You consume WAY too much sugar. I think you should drop all sugar for a week, kick the "addiction."

A great rule to follow: don't drink your calories. Switch to water immediately.

Another thing is, stop skipping meals. Fat people skip meals, fit people don't. Personally I eat about 5-6 times a day, most people will tell you its the best way and I agree.

It's hard to say what your dinner is like but I'm guessing it is out of whack. Your protein portion should be the size of a deck of cards. Really. An easy way to eat your dinner - meat should be the size of a deck of cards. Starch (yes white carbs aren't any good but let's ease you into things rather than make you choke down brown rice) should be the size of your fist. the rest of your plate should be veggies, pile them high if you want, but not potatoes (count them as a starch)
LOL, I love brown rice...I add black beans and a little cajun seasoning!! Fortunately I have a big hand so a deck of cards is won't cut it for me! LOL!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
Jesse, has anyone ever recommended water exercises for you? That might be an alternative.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 PM

Actually, yes, someone has, and its right across the street from me, at the local High School, but, Im a 'weight type of guy'...as I like to feel like Im 'doing something...

Ok, more info about me... I walk with two metal canes. I get up and I need them to do everything with...sometimes, I can get by with one cane if I am going to the bathroom-->water pills-->needs a quick exit stage right!!

And, because of my heart being in atrial fibrulation all the time, I 'need' three different sleeping pills in order to sleep! (My mind doesnt shut down for some reason, and the first time it happened, I was awake for three days straight-->Do you KNOW, you become suicidal after all that time awake??!!! For some unknown reason, I was puking yellow and crapping yellow and not sleeping, and have been on sleeping pills for years now-->Still dont get the proper sleep, and its why I sometimes sleep til 2:30pm because Im still awake at 6am (with pills taken), and had gotten up at 6 the last morning, so, at times my body just doesnt seem to cooperate, and Im trying to get it whipped back into a shape thats not 'round', but, back to my old self.

(Oh, my thyroid went bad for a wee bit, and I put on 50 pounds before they finally figured out what the problem was!! Imagine being in the hospital, on a low fat diet, with no salt, and sleeping through most meals cause I couldnt wake up, and putting on 3 pounds a day!! Drove the Doctors nuts for a while...Me? I couldnt even wake up most of the time to talk to the Doctors, so I let them do what they wanted and slept through it all, until 3am when the Nurses would come and get me up to weigh me, sheesh!) They finally diagnosed me after 4 days, but, the pills didnt bring the thyroid into 'shape' until a few weeks. Now, Ive been off them for years also... (Only had my thyroid checked twice and its still going Great...dont know what knocked it off kilter that time?? Maybe the shock of retirement?? hmm Nawwww LOL).

OK, history lesson is complete I think...Oh, I did forget one thing, I used to be on the 'pain patch'-->the one cancer patients use, but, after my ryzotomy (nerve burn), I elected to go back to the vicodin, instead of the pain patch, cause I wanted to see how much pain I can tolerate... I dont have the excruciating pain so much, that when I got up out of bed, I would fall to the floor anymore, (yea, I did that one numerous times and finally gave in to pain meds, that being the pain patches)... So, I can tolerate some pain now, but, still need to take three vicodins to exercise with the weights.

I didnt know it, but, before, when I was exercising with out pain meds, (this was last February on cardiac rehab), I couldnt do as much, but, old ladies would tell me how 'good Im doing'...and that puzzled me??!! Finally, an old lady told me that and I asked why she said that, and she told me, that everyone in the entire room can see how much pain your in, just by looking into your eyes! Funny, my Wife never told me that...sheesh! Now, I take my pain meds and 'no pain in my eyes'!!!

OK, night meds taken, and its time for me to hit the sack.

Everyone, have a Great Night!

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss