Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times

Advertisements

Its not that Im 'ignoring' the advice that you all are giving, Im just telling you 'what I have' in the fridge that is available to me, and it will take a wee bit of time for my Wife to start getting the 'right stuff'...

Lets face it... It will be an uphill battle for me. My Wife, and two kids are NOT going to want to eat what I eat...(Even though, THEY need it as much as I do!). They are used to drinking Pepsi's like its no tomorrow, (I keep telling them to get off of it, because of empty calories, and I love my Wife and kids, but, you 'cant' force anyone to make changes they dont want to do!

In a few days, when my Wife goes Krogering again, (Retirement is lousy, when you get paid once a month, instead of every two weeks!), I will have her buy 'food' from Dr Phills Cookbook. Having it 'handy and right there', Im hoping she will start making stuff for me...(This place is like a resturant, everyone wants something 'different', so, I will have to give my Wife a chance to cater to me, and the kids.

I dont ignore anything...its just going to take time to get all my ducks in a row

I wish you well...

Jesse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Seems to me like you are putting a lot of pressure on your wife for you to be successful.

Do you not know how to cook or prepare food, why is your wife "catering" to you?

Also, what does it matter what she eats? I have several food allergies and can't eat what my family does sometimes. I just prepare something different or save some leftovers that I know I can eat. Stop putting the responsibility on your wife. You are using her as an excuse.

Also, check with your local grocery stores and see if they have online ordering. Most areas have this now. There are two stores in my area that allow you to make a grocery list online, pay for it and then just go and pick it up. There is typically a $5 fee for this service but it would allow you to have some control over your food selections even if you can't get to the store. When I was recovering from surgery I used their service, knowing my husband may not make the choices and then all he had to do was pick it up.

I would also say, if you don't have energy to get through the day, exercising might need to take a back seat and the focus should be your diet. Like I've said before...you can lose a heck of a lot of weight changing diet alone. You have a long way to go in determining what good nutrition is so that should be your focus right now. Exercising is great but paired with your eating habits, you won't see much in the way of results.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Look it took time to get there it will take time to undo things........it is very hard to completely turn around a lifestyle (thought it MUST be done) when family is not cooperating.

Maybe you could take responsibility for coming up with a menu and shopping list. One thing I do is grill a LOT of boneless skinless chicken breasts - usually 1/2 of one breast is more than enough of a serving. Steam some veggies - meals can be very very simple.......

I would avoid the diet sodas altogether and just get used to water or unsweetened tea. Black coffee is full of potassium too.

Do you not think you can stand long enough to cook? Like grilling chicken you slap in on the grill, sit, go check it out, flip it and then you are done. Steaming veggies is just cleaning them, putting in a steamer and boling water. It may take some of the load off of your wife. You can even prep veggies sitting in a chair with a bowl in your lap. I bet if you got into it, it would help her out some.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
By your description your whole family is on a collision course with obesity and diabetes. Kudos to you for waking up and realizing change is necessary.
As a parent the kids eat what you buy for them,i'd terminate the soda pop and juices and only have in the house healthy choices when it comes to whats to eat.
Sounds to me like some one has to put their foot down and ween the family of its addiction to junk food.Sadly much of America is in the same boat.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM

ROTFLOL!! Put my foot down hmmm .. If I step into the kitchen, and start 'doing things', my Wife would 'step on MY foot'!! Probably nail it to the floor, and keep me away from 'her kitchen'.
(She has a fully remodeled kitchen as of last year, whole kit 'n' kaboodle, and she wouldnt let me near it

OK, the only thing I 'cook' is a good spaghetti sauce... (when I could stand up, that is)...Now I dont cook anything, because I cant stand up too long, even with my canes.

(Yes, I have pain medication, but, I only use them for going to work outs... I dont want to become a junkie on them, and be totally dependent on them...)

I used to grill in the yard... put the steaks on, then go sit down, then, get back up to turn them-->have it down to a science, and taught my Son, so I dont have to get up anymore unless he needs advice. Cant bring the grill inside...would kill us all!! (gas grill)

My Wife has assured me, that when she goes shopping, she will be buying foods for my 'diet' or change of life routine. And, sorry to say, I 'have' to be dependent on my Wife, because I cant do much anymore... Oh, my Wife will set a bag of potatos in front of me to peel, or green beans to snap, or any number of things that I can do, sitting down, she has no problems with that And, I have no problems helping her, when ever I can.
(You should see the things she has me doing for Vacation Bible School every year LOL... Takes me weeks to finish her projects, so she can have the rascals do this and finish that, to take home.

Yes, the whole family 'is' headed for diabetes...it runs in my Wife's side of the family, and there are generations of it...so, my kids are headed for it, and dont even realize the nastiness of that disease, and, of course, they wont listen to 'dear old Dad' on that one... Wife has it already, and taking pills for it...soon, the shots will be coming...but, she wont exercise with me to try and get off of them. (They get type 2 diabetes).

My Wife or kids will walk in with a case of soda, and think nothing of it, and disregard my telling them about getting diabetes... (My Wife has seen the destruction of diabetes, with her family and amputations, and sores, and worked in the nursing home and saw what it does to old people)

OK, gotta go see a Doctor, and see if Im healthy enough--->Doc needs my copay, and insurance money for his trip to who knows where in the Spring time

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Well it is YOU you need to worry about - you can't fix other people - even your family, sad to say. You can only lead by example. When I lost enough weight to where my daughter was going to outweigh me, I did not have to say a single word....it lit a fire under her.

Be prepared as you start making real good progress for sabatoge - that can happen and it is subcounsious -

Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Just got back from the Doctors office... Scale read 347!! Doctor said I lost 5 pounds since he last saw me...LOL... Good thing I lost those other pounds before I lost the other bit

OH, I know about sabotauge! I have a box of fiddle faddle, sitting on my desk...been there for months now!! (was two boxes, one of the kids ate the other)...I wont touch it...Hoping my Wife gets the 'hint', and quits buying them... Long as that one is up there, she wont

OK, now my Wife wants to take me to exercise...so, gotta get ready for that..

Have a Great Day!

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
A box of Fiddle Faddle sitting on your desk, but you won't touch it... and everything is your wife's fault... I say enjoy the little bit of time you have left and eat the fiddle faddle. You aren't going to lose the weight. It's never too late to change your mindset... but you seem to be the sort of guy who never will. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I am telling you the truth. Losing the weight take hard work and sacrifice, neither of which you are doing.

I hope tomorrow is a different day, for your sake.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Couple of years ago i would have looked at this picture and started salivating with anticipation..
Now the thought of putting all that greasy crap in my body is revolting bordering on disgust..
Its mental frames of mind you have to get to if you ever want to successfully lose the weight.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM

Actually, that is one of the ways my Wife sabotagues my weight loss! Lots of times, when I start to lose weight, it seems to trigger something in her, and she will start buying me 'goodies'...

I dont 'crave' the fiddle faddle, and I leave it on my desk top as a reminder that 'there is a box there, so, she doesnt 'need' to buy another one, or it will go to waste also! I think my Daughters Boyfriend ate the other one-->The boy who is 'supposed' to be afraid of me, but, downs a box of that, right off my desk...but, thats another issue

The important thing is, I 'am' losing the weight... Probably too fast right now, but, Im expecting that to taper off, and get down to the 'real fight', and nitty gritty of actual weight loss...

Im hopeing for a 2 pound weight loss per week, and I know, if I lose it faster than that, then there is a good chance it may come back...So, Im in it for the long term...(As most of what I do, is long term...gives me something to 'shoot for', hoping I will be here long enough to complete these goals!!!).

Sorry, if Your getting discouraged for me, but, I wont be I will keep posting on here, when I have weight loss, or weight gain, and keep a 'running report' of my progress. As, I still believe its possible, to exercise and lose a lot of the weight...And this time, Im including that ...ahem...change in my lifestyle to accomodate the lessening of my structure in life, from a large frame to a slim frame.

My adventue has begun... And I hope its a long one.

Its a shame that Jack LaLane, one of the very few people I actually looked up to, has passed away. Him, I really expected to live to over 100 years old... hmmm What a shame!

Thanks for all the advice and the help, it seems to be paying off already

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss