Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:57 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

I tried it in 1972 . After a few weeks , I became pregnant & thought, "Hey, why am I paying for this when I am giving it away for free?" That was my only experience with HGC.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Those overweight ppl who lose weight by doing it right..are not lazy.

Those who expect a pill or shot or potion to make them thin..are.
Some of them would be lazy. My perception is that lot more of them would be desperate.

Just sayin.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Some of them would be lazy. My perception is that lot more of them would be desperate.

Just sayin.
Desperate for what? To magically lose weight fast? If desperation was truly a factor these folks would learn proper nutrition and the correct way to lose weight and use it as a lifetime approach, not a quick fix, which does not exist.
Desperation would make them take a long hard look at their lives and diet and be willing to make the hard but necessary changes in order to get healthy.
EVERYONE can lose weight with the exception of the very small percentage of people that have legitimate illnesses that prevent them from doing so.
The problem is that people who search for quick fixes do not want to face the reality that it TAKES TIME to lose weight. It takes EFFORT. It takes DEDICATION.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

Just sayin.
Yeah, I can see that.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Desperate for what? To magically lose weight fast? If desperation was truly a factor these folks would learn proper nutrition and the correct way to lose weight and use it as a lifetime approach, not a quick fix, which does not exist.
Desperation would make them take a long hard look at their lives and diet and be willing to make the hard but necessary changes in order to get healthy.
EVERYONE can lose weight with the exception of the very small percentage of people that have legitimate illnesses that prevent them from doing so.
The problem is that people who search for quick fixes do not want to face the reality that it TAKES TIME to lose weight. It takes EFFORT. It takes DEDICATION.
Who said desperation was the same as looking for a quick fix? I didn't say that. Did Someone else say that? I must have missed that post.

What I meant by desperation is that they will leave no stone unturned; nothing is too outrageous to try, if it hints at possible success. Yes, it takes time, effort and dedication to lose weight, but consider this: they don't have just themselves to deal with in this. They have society in general breathing down their neck and harping on them about their size and weight; Human decency has gone out the window in favor of profit and the need to place blame when things are not rosy. They have families to look after. They have jobs to tend to. They have personal and social obligations. When you're fat and trying not to be, you're damned if you and damned if you don't. You cannot win for trying.

Oh yes I know, I know....there are people here who will say, well it didn't stop ME!
And you know what? Great for you. Really, applause all round, for being so successful. But tell me: what were the sacrifices you had to make? What things, people, places and pleasures did you have to cut out of your life to do it? What responsibilities were you able to turn your back on or pass to someone else, so that you were able to focus on doing what you had to do to achieve success?

Really?

Wow. Im impressed.

Well, guess what?

Your experience is just that: YOURS. Most other people will not be able to mimic your method because they don't live your life. The things, people and places important to you likely have no impact on them. Your responsibilities to family, friends and work are not the same as their responsibilities. In short, individual results will vary.

Once upon a time, the cause of being overweight or obese was calories in, calories out. It was a simpler time, with simpler solutions. Life and times are much more complicated now, and so are the problems, and thus the solutions. There is no such thing as a complicated problem with a simple solution. Since life is already complicated enough, nobody has time for more complications.

Hence, the quick fix. (and yes, I realize that flies in the face of what I said Above with my statement about complicated problems not having simple solutions. I stand by the logic. I never said the logic was widely grasped. there might not be any such thing as a quick fix but that doesn't stop people from trying to find one. It's a little like the lottery, I guess. Someone's gonna win it, might as well be you.....)

Last edited by tigerlillydownunder; 03-31-2012 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Clarifications

Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM

44,255 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooelemom View Post
and what do you suggest about people who are hypothyroid?
This is not a universal excuse. I know plenty of skinny people on thyroid replacement...and tons of fat folks with completely intact thyroids.

As to the op, only total idiots woul
da fallen for that dumb diet.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM

44,255 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:

Just sayin.
The truly desperate are rarely switching to freshly prepared whole food diets and exercising an hour a day. The desperate tend to binge diet and yo yo diet instead of making livable lifestyle changes with HEALTH AND FITNESS as the true goal.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The truly desperate are rarely switching to freshly prepared whole food diets and exercising an hour a day. The desperate tend to binge diet and yo yo diet instead of making livable lifestyle changes with HEALTH AND FITNESS as the true goal.
I agree that health and fitness should always be THE goal. I don't agree that weight loss should be the ultimate focus though, if anything just viewed as a pleasant side effect of making better choices. Too much emphasis is put on appearance, size and weight, and when good choices, positive changes and increased movement don't result in the numbers on the scale going down it's looked at as a failure. Nobody wants to be a failure.

Focussing on health marker improvements rather than lowering weight and size should be what health professionals focus on first, rather than the other way around. Say, for example, you have a person with high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, and is overweight. This person goes to the doctor to find out why they feel yuck (assume for the sake of argument that this person isn't as enlightened as all the experts here on CD ) The doctor takes a look at them, puts them on the scale and says, "you're overweight. You need to lose weight and then you'll feel better." The doctor may go as far as to recommend a specific diet or program, or just tells them to lower sugar/carbs and cut down on fats, and then sends the patient on their way.

6 weeks later the patient goes back in for follow up. The patient doesn't look any different/smaller, and the scale confirms that they have lost very little/no weight, but the patient is feeling much better and says so. The doctor shakes their head in disgust/rolls eyes/ignores patients statement and takes BP and blood glucose. Both are much lower but the Doctor says to the patient, "You are obviously not being compliant with what I told you, or else you'd have lost some/more weight. You need to get that weight off or (enter imminent threat of death here)." The patient doesn't look at the improvements in BP and glucose as a success, because the doctor isn't saying it is either. The doctor is too busy admonishing them for not bring down the numbers on the scale. The patient feels a failure, thinks the work they did was a waste of time and goes back to what they were doing before the first appointment, or at the very least not being as compliant as before. Maybe this happens after several such appointments where everything improved but the weight. Habit and lifestyle adjustments were made, improvements in BP and glucose showed, but focus was not placed on those successes, just the 'failure' of weight loss.

Now imagine the same scenario in this light:
Patient takes doctors advice and comes back in 6 weeks for follow up. BP is down, glucose is down, patient feels much better, albeit somewhat apprehensive because they know they haven't lost much/any weight. Doctor takes weight, And notes improvements in BP and glucose, says "its improved and thats great. Why don't we see if we can bring it down into and keep it in the normal range by keeping the sugars/carbs down, sticking reduced fat, and maybe going for a 30 minute walk every night after dinner? We might be able to keep you off meds.". Patient is relieved that they didn't 'get into trouble' for not losing weight, and is much more enthusiastic about keeping going and adding another change.
The follow ups are likely to show further improvements, even if no weight is lost, although it wouldn't be a surprise to see improvements in that as well.

Sorry, I know I'm taking this thread off topic. . The point I'm trying to make is that it's possible to improve areas of personal health without focussing specifically and solely on weight and size. As we all know there are a gazillion weight loss methods! But how many of them are actually healthy? Not many! There will be some for whom weight loss is the only thing that will help certain ailments, but we're all different. I just think if the general mindset of all involved (patient, medical professionals, and patient support systems) should be focused on health marker improvements and not just the size or weight. Let the weight loss be a side effect of health improvements, instead of the other way around.

Society at large is focused predominantly on size and weight as a measure of beauty and worth. With that in mind, people will more often look into quick fixes before they concede and go the other route. The road less travelled is less travelled for a reason.

Alright. I'm done. Proceed with throwing 'you're kidding yourself' and 'being fat is NOT healthy, period' amongst other things.....

Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Weight is *a* measure (not the measure) of overall health and risk of disease, injury, and death.

If someone is 500 pounds, and gets his glucose levels closer to normal, great. But he's still at risk for a heart attack, a stroke, and broken knees from having to bear the burden of the same 500 pounds on his legs that he had last month when his glucose levels were up. He is also at EXTREMELY high risk of death, should anything happen to him involving the need for surgery. And that's assuming they can even intubate him to do the surgery at all.

In the case of the morbidly obese, glucose levels, blood pressure levels, heart rate levels, are -not- enough to give kudos. In the morbidly obese, weight -must- come down. You show me you can lose 2 pounds in a 2-week period AND lower your blood pressure from 150/90 to 140/87, then I'll get excited about it and cheer you on. But if your blood pressure drops a few points, and you're still 500 pounds, I'll just chalk it up to you being more relaxed today than you were last time you came in for a blood pressure check, and I'll tell you to get back out there and work your butt off to lose a few pounds, which is what you should've done a month ago.

If you're just 20-30 pounds overweight, and you have a blood pressure problem, or high glucose levels, then hey - it's no biggie if you don't lose weight, as long as the other numbers are showing improvement. But 20-30 pounds doesn't make a person morbidly obese. Or even borderline. And in some cases, it's not even obese at all.

People who are on starvation diets prescribed by physicians, aren't trying to lose a few pounds, OR get numbers under control. They're trying to lose SIGNIFICANT amounts of weight. In some of these situations, it can be a life or death matter. Especially for those who need surgery of some kind, for some reason, but their surgeons -cannot- operate because of the risk of failure and profound complication as a direct result of the obesity.

Those are the types of reasons why someone would need to go on a short-term, hospital-monitored ultra-low calorie diet. And even then, HCG isn't going to do diddly squat to make them lose weight.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Who said desperation was the same as looking for a quick fix? I didn't say that. Did Someone else say that? I must have missed that post.

What I meant by desperation is that they will leave no stone unturned; nothing is too outrageous to try, if it hints at possible success. Yes, it takes time, effort and dedication to lose weight, but consider this: they don't have just themselves to deal with in this. They have society in general breathing down their neck and harping on them about their size and weight; Human decency has gone out the window in favor of profit and the need to place blame when things are not rosy. They have families to look after. They have jobs to tend to. They have personal and social obligations. When you're fat and trying not to be, you're damned if you and damned if you don't. You cannot win for trying.

Oh yes I know, I know....there are people here who will say, well it didn't stop ME!
And you know what? Great for you. Really, applause all round, for being so successful. But tell me: what were the sacrifices you had to make? What things, people, places and pleasures did you have to cut out of your life to do it? What responsibilities were you able to turn your back on or pass to someone else, so that you were able to focus on doing what you had to do to achieve success?

Really?

Wow. Im impressed.

Well, guess what?

Your experience is just that: YOURS. Most other people will not be able to mimic your method because they don't live your life. The things, people and places important to you likely have no impact on them. Your responsibilities to family, friends and work are not the same as their responsibilities. In short, individual results will vary.

Once upon a time, the cause of being overweight or obese was calories in, calories out. It was a simpler time, with simpler solutions. Life and times are much more complicated now, and so are the problems, and thus the solutions. There is no such thing as a complicated problem with a simple solution. Since life is already complicated enough, nobody has time for more complications.

Hence, the quick fix. (and yes, I realize that flies in the face of what I said Above with my statement about complicated problems not having simple solutions. I stand by the logic. I never said the logic was widely grasped. there might not be any such thing as a quick fix but that doesn't stop people from trying to find one. It's a little like the lottery, I guess. Someone's gonna win it, might as well be you.....)
Why so hostile? The recipe to lose weight has NEVER changed. Only crackpot options for people unwilling to make the proper sacrifices has changed because none of them have ever worked. My story is not unique. In fact, anyone who has ever lost weight and kept it off has the exact same story as me. Imagine that.
Losing weight is NOT complicated. In fact it is very simple. It may be hard to stick with if you are not willing to make the proper adjustments, but it is not complicated. Anyone can do it. Really!
Diet drugs are NEVER the answer. Ever.
But people can spend their money and hope and dream and wish your weight comes off with minimal effort. They will always end up disappointed until the next 'diet craze' comes round the bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss