Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,003,247 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have tried every sort of diet out there. But each year I have gained more and more and more weight. I would like to start some sort of a support group here with members who are at least 100 lbs overweight.

Is there anybody on here who can relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,941,274 times
I can relate. I chose to have weight loss surgery, but I almost died of complications. I wish I had tried harder to change my habits. So - even though I wouldn't frown upon someone who decided to have it, I also don't recommend it. I have been seeing a nutritionist since 6 mos before surgery. That has been very helpful to me for many reasons. But I think its important to find the right person for you. Maybe you could consider one for yourself.

I wish you all the best of luck on your journey. I know trying to lose that much weight is HARD. You can do it! There are many many many people who lose without surgery and you can be one of them! There is a way out there that will work for you. Have faith and believe in yourself.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,509,931 times
I did but I don't - still have about 50 to go.
There are actually groups on like caloriecount.com etc that are folks who have 100, 200 etc lbs to loose........may want to check that out too.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:59 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,698,392 times
When your very fat a simple change in the portion sizes you eat will result in weight loss. I lost weight from 205 lbs to 193 lbs in 6 months hardly any exercise because I stopped splurging on junk food and overeating.

So it gets easier losing weight once you get used to eating smaller portions. I rarely overeat anymore even during holidays.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,941,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I did but I don't - still have about 50 to go.
There are actually groups on like caloriecount.com etc that are folks who have 100, 200 etc lbs to loose........may want to check that out too.
Congrats Granny! And good luck with the rest. I've heard another good website is sparkpeople.com.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Hello,

I have tried every sort of diet out there. But each year I have gained more and more and more weight.
Obviously diets dont work, you may have more success with a lifestyle change,
Start by keeping a food log,write down everything you eat and drink and what time,be strict about it and dont cheat,for example if you ate a box of donuts for lunch?write it down.
After a couple of weeks you'll need to see a dietitian who will go over your eating patterns and tell you where you are going wrong and what to do about it. After a few visits with the dietitian you'll at least know what the problem is and it will come down to whether or not you can make the adjustment.
In my own case it was discovered that between supper 5pm and bedtime 11pm i would consume a lot of high calorie snacks and go through a 6 pack of beer almost every night,added up to over 2000 calories that just turned to fat every night.
The solution was tough,it involved a regimen of strict mental discipline on what i could or couldnt eat Carrot and celery sticks or a fruit is now considered a snack.Heavily floured products like bread etc are an item of the past along with pasta,anything deep fried or greasy ,alcohol.sugary products, on top of the change in food choices a vigorous program of daily excercise.the temptation to eat food becomes almost overwhelming when just sitting watching tv so i usually go to bed between 7-7;30pm if watching tv is my only option.
Whats the payoff for all this sacrifice?
More energy and better health mentally and physically which equates to a more meaningful lifestyle and personal pride in ones self.,

Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,394,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Hello,

I have tried every sort of diet out there. But each year I have gained more and more and more weight. I would like to start some sort of a support group here with members who are at least 100 lbs overweight.

Is there anybody on here who can relate?
I do!

4 months ago, I set a lofty goal, got my family and friends involved, created a website, and a group on Facebook so that people could keep my rear in gear

Hey, when you severly lack motivation, you sometimes need to take drastic measures!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,240,787 times
Lifestyle change..I weighed 350 in April 2010 and now weigh 248. I have lost 102 pounds naturally by ditching bad foods, drinking more water and exercising (salsa dancing, kickboxing and I started doing 5Ks). I gave up a lot.....my pictures are in the Before and After thread which you can see how I have transformed. I can't lie...this has not been easy at all but I have resolved in my mind to get this done and I did it. I gave up a lot....alcohol, fried foods, ice cream, cheese, candy, cookies, cakes, etc...

I still have 60 more pounds to go.

One thing I will tell you...stop saying what you can't do and look for ways to say I CAN DO, I WILL DO and importantly, I HAVE DONE IT! It really is a mindset change. Once you have that, you can accomplish anything.

I too created a group on facebook for my friends to stay on my tail about weightloss and working out.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,394,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Lifestyle change..I weighed 350 in April 2010 and now weigh 248. I have lost 102 pounds naturally by ditching bad foods, drinking more water and exercising (salsa dancing, kickboxing and I started doing 5Ks). I gave up a lot.....my pictures are in the Before and After thread which you can see how I have transformed. I can't lie...this has not been easy at all but I have resolved in my mind to get this done and I did it. I gave up a lot....alcohol, fried foods, ice cream, cheese, candy, cookies, cakes, etc...

I still have 60 more pounds to go.

One thing I will tell you...stop saying what you can't do and look for ways to say I CAN DO, I WILL DO and importantly, I HAVE DONE IT! It really is a mindset change. Once you have that, you can accomplish anything.

I too created a group on facebook for my friends to stay on my tail about weightloss and working out.
Can I join it? (Seriously...) You can join mine, too!

AWESOME JOB!!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,240,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Can I join it? (Seriously...) You can join mine, too!

AWESOME JOB!!

Sure can! it's a silly group but I will send you a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss