Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,066,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
You mean they didn't start you on 25mg~? Why did they increase your dosage~?
I was first diagnosed by my GP. She put me on 50 to start which I thought was odd, told me she'd see me in 3 months and that was it.

So after that appointment I sought out an endocrinoligist. He had me come every 6 weeks for labs. That went on for the first 6 months or so. My numbers are pretty stable now, creeping just a bit but I go every 3 months for labs...he doesn't anticipate that slowing anytime soon but I don't mind. I like that he monitors me closely.

The increases came when my numbers weren't where they needed to be because the current dose wasn't effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,987 times
I have hybo it runs n my family, even 2 of my bros have the problem which is rare n men! When I was diagnosed with this curse I was hyper since being treated I have blown up, I have to lose weight l look ugly and I feel ugly! I'm on 125mcg of levothyroxine what's next death? FAT N BUFFALO NY

Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARON KOUADIO View Post
I have hybo it runs n my family, even 2 of my bros have the problem which is rare n men! When I was diagnosed with this curse I was hyper since being treated I have blown up, I have to lose weight l look ugly and I feel ugly! I'm on 125mcg of levothyroxine what's next death? FAT N BUFFALO NY
125mcg is a pretty healthy dose. Usually levothyroxine isn't a good weight management tool. Use it to handle the thyroid function.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
The best advice is to eat as healthy as possible and exercise. I would not worry too much about the weight at this time. It will come off slowly. I joined the Y and found some classes that I really like. If you can afford a personal trainer to get started, I would suggest that (if you celebrate the holidays, ask for a gift certificate). My weight will never be what it was, but after 15 years of being on synthroid, I finally have excellent numbers from my blood tests. I especially attribute exercise to helping me achieve that. If you cannot join a gym, start walking. Purchase some exercise videos or if you have Exercise TV, they have walking programs. Just do something~~you will start to feel better.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARON KOUADIO View Post
FAT N BUFFALO NY
This may be your problem right there. Buffalo. Seriously (I have/had a lot of family from Cheektowaga, Dunkirk, Depew, Lancaster, Lockport, Dunkirk). Its cold and people sit inside and eat and watch the Bills and Sabres all winter. Every intersection sells "Pizza, Subs, and Wings". It seems a lot of people in western NY are overweight. Stuck inside.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,643,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshendrickson View Post
Hi, I'm brand new on here, but my wife was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism earlier today, so I wanna throw in my 2 cents just in case it can help. My thoughts are that if the weight gain is caused by a low metabolism, and even possible malnutrition (anorexic ppl are at risk of hypothyroidism because of that), a healthy diet, rich in micronutrients (carbs, protein, and fat), macronutrients (vitamins and minerals), and phytonutrients (found in antioxidant rich foods ... over 30,000 compounds have been identified to date) would ensure proper nutrition, and in theory it could possibly reverse the condition itself over time. But, that's just theory, so along with the diet that everyone needs for healthy weight loss, I think I'd recommend an all-natural supplement designed to increase metabolism and help your body remove toxins. I actually sell a weight management system that has all that, but I won't name it or post any links to any sites, I'm just trying to help by offering a solution and I'd recommend ANY healthy and natural product that's proven to increase metabolism and proven to work on belly fat (the most dangerous fat ... blocks intake of insulin to the organs, making ppl diabetic. Also puts pressure on organs like kidneys and causes other problems). I'm just concerned for my wife ... I hear a lot about thyroid problems (I know at least 5 ppl with either hypo or hyper), and I'm educating myself as much as possible on this because I HATE prescription drugs and their effects (er, uh, side effects), and I absolutely HATE the thought of possible radiation treatment. I'll keep you posted on how she's doing and if the good nutrition and metabolism/detox boost does what I expect it to.
Please don't give people the impression a healthy weight management system is a cure-all for hypothyroidism. Taking natural supplements will not substitute thyroid medicine which is needed in order for a hypothyroid person to live.

Your post sounds like you are using anecdotal stories to sell a multi-level marketing scheme. Not surprised to see you're a first time poster.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
I have been hypothroid for 20 years. My current medication is 150 mcg. My weight was stable for many years until I a) quit smoking, b) had heart surgery, c) had cancer. The combination of quitting tobacco and inactivity following surgery packed on a few pounds. Thirty-five, to be exact. But the weight gain wasn't due to my low-functioning thyroid. It was because I wasn't active and I was eating out of boredom.
In May of this year, I said, "Enough" and embarked on a better eating plan and lost a couple of pounds. On encouragement from my son, I began to walk a bit each day and eventually was up to 30 min. every day.
I have lost 15 pounds and will continue to lose, however slowly.
Don't use the thyroid as an excuse. When your meds are right and your levels are stable, you'll be able to see the weight loss. Just remember the way. Eat less, move more.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:03 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have been hypothroid for 20 years. My current medication is 150 mcg. My weight was stable for many years until I a) quit smoking, b) had heart surgery, c) had cancer. The combination of quitting tobacco and inactivity following surgery packed on a few pounds. Thirty-five, to be exact. But the weight gain wasn't due to my low-functioning thyroid. It was because I wasn't active and I was eating out of boredom.
In May of this year, I said, "Enough" and embarked on a better eating plan and lost a couple of pounds. On encouragement from my son, I began to walk a bit each day and eventually was up to 30 min. every day.
I have lost 15 pounds and will continue to lose, however slowly.
Don't use the thyroid as an excuse. When your meds are right and your levels are stable, you'll be able to see the weight loss. Just remember the way. Eat less, move more.
This! I was talking with my doctor recently. he suggested a goal of 10% of your weight. So if your 200 pounds, she 20 pounds. Eating and moving about are excellent places to start.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,918 times
I am suffering from hyperthyroidism but i am gaining
weight in very short time

Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
I have Hashimoto's and have been on thyroid meds for as long as I can remember. I have never had a problem with losing weight when I need to. I have my thyroid checked yearly and I never miss taking my pills.
I did gain some weight a few months ago and could not figure out why. Nothing had changed. So I went to an endocrinologist and he asked me if I was taking anything else. I told him I started an iron supplement since I am borderline anemic. Well you cannot take thyroid meds and iron within 6 hours of each other or the iron will cancel out the thyroid medication. I changed the timing and dropped the weight immediately.
Properly medicated thyroid issues should not keep anyone from losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss