Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Well, I quit. Or at least I'm going to try something else. I've been watching what I eat llike a hawk for since the middle of last week--so that's about ten days. I have a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit for breakfast, banana or apple. A salad with some protein for lunch--chicken or london broil, normal portion size. An apple or some cut up watermelon in the afternoon if I feel as though I'm getting too hungry to take it. Careful dinner--protein (fish/chicken/beef), normal portion size, vegetables, sometimes a salad, except one night I had a sandwich with very lean ham, no mayo, and some canned soup. Sometimes I have low-fat yogurt and fruit at night in lieu of ice cream. I'm loosely calculating calories, so my daily intake has been 1400 - 1600 per day.

Oh, and I am walking for at least half an hour every day.

On Monday I bought a scale. Since I bought that scale, I HAVE GAINED TWO POUNDS!!! YES, I weigh myself at the same time every day, upon rising, no clothing. I cannot believe this. I just cannot believe this. I'm walking around hungry and cranky all the time, trying not to snap at my coworkers, starving myself and I GAINED TWO POUNDS????? Every morning I am stepping on the scale and I weigh another half pound more.

How is this even possible?????? I feel exactly as I did when I tried Weight Watchers years ago--some level of hungry all the time, and I remember that I immediately gained weight doing that, too.

Anyway, today I am going to the beach. It's the last beach weekend of the season, and I am going to the surf shack and getting myself a greasy effin cheeseburger and a soda. It just doesn't seem to matter, but I will NOT be hungry this afternoon, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I quit. Or at least I'm going to try something else. I've been watching what I eat llike a hawk for since the middle of last week--so that's about ten days. I have a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit for breakfast, banana or apple. A salad with some protein for lunch--chicken or london broil, normal portion size. An apple or some cut up watermelon in the afternoon if I feel as though I'm getting hungry. Careful dinner--protein (fish/chicken/beef), normal portion size, vegetables, sometimes a salad, except one night I had a sandwich with very lean ham, no mayo, and some canned soup. Sometimes I have low-fat yogurt and fruit at night in lieu of ice cream. I'm loosely calculating calories, so my daily intake has been 1400 - 1600 per day.

On Monday I bought a scale. Since I bought that scale, I HAVE GAINED TWO POUNDS!!! YES, I weigh myself at the same time every day, upon rising, no clothing. I cannot believe this. I just cannot believe this. I'm walking around hungry and cranky all the time, trying not to snap at my coworkers, starving myself and I GAINED TWO POUNDS?????

Oh, an I am walking for at least half an hour every day.

How is this even possible??????

Anyway, today I am going to the beach. It's the last beach weekend of the season, and I am going to the surf shack and getting myself a greasy effin cheeseburger and a soda. It just doesn't seem to matter, but I will NOT be hungry this afternoon, anyway.
'

Maybe you should try measuring yourself rather than just getting on the scales.

Also, let me tell you what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was traveling, and really trying to "watch what I ate" but I wasn't being very good at logging it all in each day (I use a phone app to keep up with what I eat). Anyway, I got home after being gone ONE WEEK - and had gained SIX POUNDS. I freaked out.

The next day, I had lost 4 pounds, and within three days had lost 4 more. In other words, I had actually LOST weight (2 pounds) that week - not gained 6 pounds.

I had eaten a lot of salty foods, and without going into detail, let's just say that when I travel I have a challenge with "regularity."

Don't let one day freak you out.

Also - try WEIGHT WATCHERS! Listen, I promise you - if you follow the WW program, you WILL lose weight. But you have to follow it, which means logging everything you eat, honestly, without minimizing your portions, and without leaving ANYTHING out.

My husband claims to be dieting. Let me tell you how his mind works. Yesterday at lunch, as he was justifying a large burger, he said, "Well, all I've had to eat today is a banana." I said, "And a bunch of cashews." He said, "Oh yeah." And I said, "And a Coke." He said, "Oh. Yeah, that too."

So what he THOUGHT he had had was one 100 calorie banana. What he ACTUALLY had was about 500 calories. Big difference.

Sometimes we minimize what we're eating in our minds. I know I was doing that - DEFINITELY. I was not being honest with myself - and therefore with others.

Last night we went to one of our favorite restaurants. In the past, when I went there, I had three catfish filets, a roll with butter, french fries, a veggie of some sort, sweet tea, and bread pudding. Oh, and I would have TOTALLY left out the tartar sauce and would not have counted the sweet tea probably.

Last night I had two filets and was very, very careful with the amount of tartar sauce. I had about six fries. No roll. A nice salad from the salad bar, and some cabbage. I had a tiny taste of the bread pudding. Unsweetened tea.

I left there stuffed and fully satisfied.

I knew we were eating out that evening so I went light during the day - but thanks to WW I knew I could eat fruit or veggies if I got hungry.

Got on the scales and lost a pound since yesterday!

I'm not trying to make you jealous - I am trying to get you to think about whether or not you are truly counting everything you eat, making the best choices (for instance, choosing balsamic vinaigrette over bleu cheese dressing!), and weighing yourself at the same time each day (or once a week - i can't do the once a week thing, so I do the once a day thing myself). I mean, my husband is constantly going on about cutting down, but I think he is truly oblivious to some of what he eats - it doesn't even register with him.

If you are truly, truly sticking to 1400 calories or so every day, and gaining weight, then you really need to go see a doctor.

One more thing - about portion size. We are acclimated to large portions in our society. What we often call "normal size" (a term you used often in your post) is probably too large. Also, how are you cooking your proteins? Are you frying them, or breading them? Are you using oil, butter, grease, cheese, creams in sauces, dressings, or marinades? You can do that - but you have to count those things as well. Are you adding croutons, a slice of bread on the side, or sampling things when you're cooking, nibbling off plates or out of pans as you clean up after dinner or store leftovers? Are you drinking things with calories, such as sweet tea, juice, sodas, wine or beer or alcohol? When someone walks in with a snack, are you taking a bite or two of that and forgetting to count it? One tablespoon of cake frosting, for instance, can be over 100 calories!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
'

Maybe you should try measuring yourself rather than just getting on the scales.

Also, let me tell you what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was traveling, and really trying to "watch what I ate" but I wasn't being very good at logging it all in each day (I use a phone app to keep up with what I eat). Anyway, I got home after being gone ONE WEEK - and had gained SIX POUNDS. I freaked out.

The next day, I had lost 4 pounds, and within three days had lost 4 more. In other words, I had actually LOST weight (2 pounds) that week - not gained 6 pounds.

I had eaten a lot of salty foods, and without going into detail, let's just say that when I travel I have a challenge with "regularity."

Don't let one day freak you out.

Also - try WEIGHT WATCHERS! Listen, I promise you - if you follow the WW program, you WILL lose weight. But you have to follow it, which means logging everything you eat, honestly, without minimizing your portions, and without leaving ANYTHING out.

My husband claims to be dieting. Let me tell you how his mind works. Yesterday at lunch, as he was justifying a large burger, he said, "Well, all I've had to eat today is a banana." I said, "And a bunch of cashews." He said, "Oh yeah." And I said, "And a Coke." He said, "Oh. Yeah, that too."

So what he THOUGHT he had had was one 100 calorie banana. What he ACTUALLY had was about 500 calories. Big difference.

Sometimes we minimize what we're eating in our minds. I know I was doing that - DEFINITELY. I was not being honest with myself - and therefore with others.

Last night we went to one of our favorite restaurants. In the past, when I went there, I had three catfish filets, a roll with butter, french fries, a veggie of some sort, sweet tea, and bread pudding. Oh, and I would have TOTALLY left out the tartar sauce and would not have counted the sweet tea probably.

Last night I had two filets and was very, very careful with the amount of tartar sauce. I had about six fries. No roll. A nice salad from the salad bar, and some cabbage. I had a tiny taste of the bread pudding. Unsweetened tea.

I left there stuffed and fully satisfied.

I knew we were eating out that evening so I went light during the day - but thanks to WW I knew I could eat fruit or veggies if I got hungry.

Got on the scales and lost a pound since yesterday!

I'm not trying to make you jealous - I am trying to get you to think about whether or not you are truly counting everything you eat, making the best choices (for instance, choosing balsamic vinaigrette over bleu cheese dressing!), and weighing yourself at the same time each day (or once a week - i can't do the once a week thing, so I do the once a day thing myself). I mean, my husband is constantly going on about cutting down, but I think he is truly oblivious to some of what he eats - it doesn't even register with him.

If you are truly, truly sticking to 1400 calories or so every day, and gaining weight, then you really need to go see a doctor.

One more thing - about portion size. We are acclimated to large portions in our society. What we often call "normal size" (a term you used often in your post) is probably too large. Also, how are you cooking your proteins? Are you frying them, or breading them? Are you using oil, butter, grease, cheese, creams in sauces, dressings, or marinades? You can do that - but you have to count those things as well. Are you adding croutons, a slice of bread on the side, or sampling things when you're cooking, nibbling off plates or out of pans as you clean up after dinner or store leftovers? Are you drinking things with calories, such as sweet tea, juice, sodas, wine or beer or alcohol? When someone walks in with a snack, are you taking a bite or two of that and forgetting to count it? One tablespoon of cake frosting, for instance, can be over 100 calories!
Well, I sort of knew someone was going to say exactly that, but I'm somewhat obsessive and I also know that it's easy to 'forget', so I was counting every last thing. I don't have a phone like yours but I wrote everything down--even when I put a teaspoon of butter on a corn on the cob and then I check it on a calorie-counter website. As a matter of fact, I will tend to overestimate just to be on the safe side--count all fruit such as apples and bananas as "large" and use that number, for example.

And, please, I know you mean well, but remember that I am an intelligent 54-year-old woman, not a teenager. I know what a portion is supposed to be vs. what people in this country usually eat, and by "normal" portion of meat, I'm talking about four ounces, the approximate size of one's palm, blah blah blah. Of course I am counting the tablespoon of olive oil I'm using to saute whatever.

I drink nothing but water or unsweetened ice tea outside of my morning coffee with half and half--which I measured to make sure I knew exactly how much I was using. No, I'm not snacking as I'm cooking. (On WHAT? When I'm cooking frozen spinach and a piece of lean beef--what could I possibly be snacking on?) As a matter of fact, my refrigerator and cupboards are mostly empty. I keep very little food in my house and buy just what I need a few days at a time. There's really nothing to "cheat" with, even if I wanted to. The only thing I'm well-stocked on is cat food, and I'm never hungry enough to go there, hehehe.

Since you mentioned the doctor--I've BEEN seeing a doctor because of the cellulitis I've had in my leg all summer. As a matter of fact, my health is EXACTLY what's spurred on the need to diet--a) cellulitis is aggravated by weight, and b) my blood sugar is high--not quite diabetic, but too high. As previously mentioned, I quit smoking last December, and I've gained almost 20 pounds since then. I had been losing weight by cutting out sugar and increasing exercise at the time I quit, but due to the time of year and the fact that I know I substituted sugar for nicotine, I put on the weight. I just didn't know how much I'd gained until I went to the doctor for the leg. I am abnormally tall for a woman--6'1"--and so when I gain 20 pounds it's much less evident clothing-wise and visibly than it would be on a petite woman.

Anyway, when I first bought the scale, it looked as though I'd dropped four pounds since I'd been weighed at the doctor's office, and I was happy about that. Of course, we can't know if my scale is calibrated to the same weight as the doctor's scale, but I was already cutting way down and so I really do think I lost a few pounds. This last two pounds since Monday is bothersome, though--I feel as though I am going backwards.

I don't want to be the type who blames weight gain on "glandular" issues, so I was discounting the thought for now, but I do have an enlarged thryoid and hypothryoidism runs in my family. So far the thyroid has been functioning despite the enlargement, but I haven't had the TSH levels checked in a number of years. I'm having bloodwork done next week that includes my TSH levels and will see the doctor the follwing week, so it may be that this is playing a part. I am doubting that's to blame, though, since I don't have the fatigue and other symptoms of hypothryoidism--except the weight gain. I do believe quitting smoking has something to do with it--my sister says that the first year after she quit, her whole body chemistry went haywire, including spikes in triglyceride and blood-sugar levels, and they evened out after a year.

Anyway. I think I am going to give myself a week of no-carb eating--just protein and salad--and see if that makes a difference. I've been eating very few carbs, obviously, but twice I did have rice, twice I did have gf pasta (YES, the proper serving sizes!!!), and one day I did have a sandwich. And I will restrict vegetables to only those of the lowest-carb contents/leafy green stuff.

Now that most of the worst of the 90-degree/humid summer days are gone, perhaps I can add an evening walk to the lunchtime walk, too.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-01-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Well, I sort of knew someone was going to say exactly that, but I'm somewhat obsessive and I also know that it's easy to 'forget', so I was counting every last thing. I don't have a phone like yours but I wrote everything down--even when I put a teaspoon of butter on a corn on the cob and then I check it on a calorie-counter website. As a matter of fact, I will tend to overestimate just to be on the safe side--count all fruit such as apples and bananas as "large" and use that number, for example.

And, please, I know you mean well, but remember that I am an intelligent 54-year-old woman, not a teenager. I know what a portion is supposed to be vs. what people in this country usually eat, and by "normal" portion of meat, I'm talking about four ounces, the approximate size of one's palm, blah blah blah. Of course I am counting the tablespoon of olive oil I'm using to saute whatever.

I drink nothing but water or unsweetened ice tea outside of my morning coffee with half and half--which I measured to make sure I knew exactly how much I was using. No, I'm not snacking as I'm cooking. (On WHAT? When I'm cooking frozen spinach and a piece of lean beef--what could I possibly be snacking on?) As a matter of fact, my refrigerator and cupboards are mostly empty. I keep very little food in my house and buy just what I need a few days at a time. There's really nothing to "cheat" with, even if I wanted to. The only thing I'm well-stocked on is cat food, and I'm never hungry enough to go there, hehehe.

Since you mentioned the doctor--I've BEEN seeing a doctor because of the cellulitis I've had in my leg all summer. As a matter of fact, my health is EXACTLY what's spurred on the need to diet--a) cellulitis is aggravated by weight, and b) my blood sugar is high--not quite diabetic, but too high. As previously mentioned, I quit smoking last December, and I've gained almost 20 pounds since then. I had been losing weight by cutting out sugar and increasing exercise at the time I quit, but due to the time of year and the fact that I know I substituted sugar for nicotine, I put on the weight. I just didn't know how much I'd gained until I went to the doctor for the leg. I am abnormally tall for a woman--6'1"--and so when I gain 20 pounds it's much less evident clothing-wise and visibly than it would be on a petite woman.

Anyway, when I first bought the scale, it looked as though I'd dropped four pounds since I'd been weighed at the doctor's office, and I was happy about that. Of course, we can't know if my scale is calibrated to the same weight as the doctor's scale, but I was already cutting way down and so I really do think I lost a few pounds. This last two pounds since Monday is bothersome, though--I feel as though I am going backwards.

I don't want to be the type who blames weight gain on "glandular" issues, so I was discounting the thought for now, but I do have an enlarged thryoid and hypothryoidism runs in my family. So far the thyroid has been functioning despite the enlargement, but I haven't had the TSH levels checked in a number of years. I'm having bloodwork done next week that includes my TSH levels and will see the doctor the follwing week, so it may be that this is playing a part. I am doubting that's to blame, though, since I don't have the fatigue and other symptoms of hypothryoidism--except the weight gain. I do believe quitting smoking has something to do with it--my sister says that the first year after she quit, her whole body chemistry went haywire, including spikes in triglyceride and blood-sugar levels, and they evened out after a year.

Anyway. I think I am going to give myself a week of no-carb eating--just protein and salad--and see if that makes a difference. I've been eating very few carbs, obviously, but twice I did have rice, twice I did have gf pasta (YES, the proper serving sizes!!!), and one day I did have a sandwich. And I will restrict vegetables to only those of the lowest-carb contents/leafy green stuff.

Now that most of the worst of the 90-degree/humid summer days are gone, perhaps I can add an evening walk to the lunchtime walk, too.
I understand that you're frustrated. I'm sorry if I sounded condescending - however, not knowing you or how you think, I was simply covering bases. I mean, my husband would be the first to tell you that he's eating healthily - when I know that he's often actually UNAWARE of his poor eating habits.

If you are truly limiting your caloric intake to under 1600 calories a day, getting regular exercise, and eating as you say you are - and you're gaining weight week to week (don't freak out about daily fluctuations, look at where you are on the same day of each week at the same time of day), then you should definitely talk with your doctor. That would be my advice.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
So I have been really frustrated with my progress on the scale all summer. I have lost maybe 5 pounds since May. I am also down an entire pants size and I have lost some inches.

Use a tape measure to track your progress. But most importantly give things enough time to happen. It won't change overnight.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Mightyqueen, I just plugged all the info you gave us into "myfitnesspal" to see what you are -really- eating. I had to guess at a few things, because you weren't specific. By not being specific, you are creating what could result in a landfill of nutritional mayhem and chaos. Here's what I plugged in, and the results:

Hard-boiled egg 211 calories, 14 (grams) fat, 17 protein, 2 carbs, 2 sugar, 169 sodium
Apple (medium mcintosh) - 80 calories, 22 carbs, 17 sugar

"Normal size" london broil (assuming that's 4.5 ounces of top round, trimmed, broiled with no sauce/salt/seasonings):
274 calories, 11 fat, 40 protein
Salad (assuming 4 cherry tomatoes, 5-lettuce blend, 2 tbsp romano/parm cheese, 2 tbsp olive oil with vinegar, no salt.
186 calories, 18 fat, 5 protein, 6 carbs, 200 sodium (approximately)
Apple snack - 80 calories, 22 carbs, 17 sugar.

Sandwich (assuming just 2 slices Pepperidge Farms Hearty Whole Wheat, 4 ounces lean ham, nothing else):
374 calories, 10 fat, 35 protein, 42 carbs, 6 sugar, 1373 sodium
1 can soup (assuming Campbell's Hearty Chicken with Vegetable):
200 calories, 5 fat, 12 protein, 28 carbs, 4 sugar, 710 sodium
Banana snack (medium) - 105 calories, 27 carbs, 1 protein, 14 sugar

Breakfast: 291 calories, 14 grams fat, 17 grams protein, 24 grams carbs, 19 grams sugar, 169 sodium
Lunch/Snack: 540 calories, 29 grams fat, 45 grams protein, 17 grams sugar, 28 grams carbs, 200 sodium (approx)
Dinner/snack 949 calories, 17 grams fat, 48 grams protein, 130 carbs, 50 grams sugar, 2168 sodium

Total for one day:
1780 calories, 60 grams fat, 110 grams protein, 182 carbs, 86 grams sugar, 2537 grams sodium.

First of all, that's around 3/4 of a meal more than the 1400 calories you thought it was. So right there, there's a problem. Take out one of those pieces of fruit, and it's still over 1600 calories, which is the max you assumed you were eating.
Second - too much fat. Fat is good, but you don't need that much, when you're -also- getting that much protein. You could probably do fine with 50 grams fat, and 70-80 grams protein.
Your carbs are fine, within a "reasonable" amount for someone trying to be cautious (you could go lower but you're okay).
You should probably cut the sugar down to under 75 grams.
Your sodium is too high. Get it to under 2000 grams.

This is all assuming you are eating the exact proportions and types and brands and flavors of things that I posted. The numbers could go up dramatically, and I would -definitely- watch your sodium levels if I were you. You might very well be retaining water up the yin-yang, which can cause artificial/temporary weight gain. With the amount of sodium you're consuming, you should be exercising hard enough to sweat for a good half hour, AND replenishing your water loss with water.

As an aside, your potassium intake looked fine, assuming you're eating that one banana per day. If not, it wouldn't hurt you to swap out one apple for a banana.

If you're not exercising, then your current food intake would be fine, once you start exercising. And by exercise, I mean serious cardio-thumping breathing-heavy sweating down your back exercise. Running, jogging, riding a bike, cross-fit, zumba class, hiit, whatever will burn calories. You should -also- be doing some weight training, to put some of that protein you're eating to good use.

You don't want to just watch what you're eating. You also want to watch what your body is doing with the food that you're eating. Food is fuel. Fuel needs a reason to burn. Exercise is that reason.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Mightyqueen, I just plugged all the info you gave us into "myfitnesspal" to see what you are -really- eating. I had to guess at a few things, because you weren't specific. By not being specific, you are creating what could result in a landfill of nutritional mayhem and chaos. Here's what I plugged in, and the results:

Hard-boiled egg 211 calories, 14 (grams) fat, 17 protein, 2 carbs, 2 sugar, 169 sodium
Apple (medium mcintosh) - 80 calories, 22 carbs, 17 sugar

"Normal size" london broil (assuming that's 4.5 ounces of top round, trimmed, broiled with no sauce/salt/seasonings):
274 calories, 11 fat, 40 protein
Salad (assuming 4 cherry tomatoes, 5-lettuce blend, 2 tbsp romano/parm cheese, 2 tbsp olive oil with vinegar, no salt.
186 calories, 18 fat, 5 protein, 6 carbs, 200 sodium (approximately)
Apple snack - 80 calories, 22 carbs, 17 sugar.

Sandwich (assuming just 2 slices Pepperidge Farms Hearty Whole Wheat, 4 ounces lean ham, nothing else):
374 calories, 10 fat, 35 protein, 42 carbs, 6 sugar, 1373 sodium
1 can soup (assuming Campbell's Hearty Chicken with Vegetable):
200 calories, 5 fat, 12 protein, 28 carbs, 4 sugar, 710 sodium
Banana snack (medium) - 105 calories, 27 carbs, 1 protein, 14 sugar

Breakfast: 291 calories, 14 grams fat, 17 grams protein, 24 grams carbs, 19 grams sugar, 169 sodium
Lunch/Snack: 540 calories, 29 grams fat, 45 grams protein, 17 grams sugar, 28 grams carbs, 200 sodium (approx)
Dinner/snack 949 calories, 17 grams fat, 48 grams protein, 130 carbs, 50 grams sugar, 2168 sodium

Total for one day:
1780 calories, 60 grams fat, 110 grams protein, 182 carbs, 86 grams sugar, 2537 grams sodium.

First of all, that's around 3/4 of a meal more than the 1400 calories you thought it was. So right there, there's a problem. Take out one of those pieces of fruit, and it's still over 1600 calories, which is the max you assumed you were eating.
Second - too much fat. Fat is good, but you don't need that much, when you're -also- getting that much protein. You could probably do fine with 50 grams fat, and 70-80 grams protein.
Your carbs are fine, within a "reasonable" amount for someone trying to be cautious (you could go lower but you're okay).
You should probably cut the sugar down to under 75 grams.
Your sodium is too high. Get it to under 2000 grams.

This is all assuming you are eating the exact proportions and types and brands and flavors of things that I posted. The numbers could go up dramatically, and I would -definitely- watch your sodium levels if I were you. You might very well be retaining water up the yin-yang, which can cause artificial/temporary weight gain. With the amount of sodium you're consuming, you should be exercising hard enough to sweat for a good half hour, AND replenishing your water loss with water.

As an aside, your potassium intake looked fine, assuming you're eating that one banana per day. If not, it wouldn't hurt you to swap out one apple for a banana.

If you're not exercising, then your current food intake would be fine, once you start exercising. And by exercise, I mean serious cardio-thumping breathing-heavy sweating down your back exercise. Running, jogging, riding a bike, cross-fit, zumba class, hiit, whatever will burn calories. You should -also- be doing some weight training, to put some of that protein you're eating to good use.

You don't want to just watch what you're eating. You also want to watch what your body is doing with the food that you're eating. Food is fuel. Fuel needs a reason to burn. Exercise is that reason.
Thanks for taking the time to do that analysis, but as I said, I was checking the calorie content on EVERY bit of food I was eating,so I see no reason why your source is better than mine. Some of your assumptions are not correct, and your numbers seem off on a few items; for example, I just checked THREE other calorie counter sites, and the calorie content for one hard-boiled egg, large were 70, 78, and 77.5--none of them anywhere near the 211 you are assigning to it. That alone is an overage of 133 - 141 you're giving me. Also, (there's no way you could know this) I'm taking the calories for the sandwich from the packaging of the bread and the ham, and I ate the portion size of the ham exactly, so that's 220, not 374. Again, no way you could know. But I have been CAREFULLY recording and checking all the calories. Was not checking grams of fat/sugar, etc., though.

I'm on a mild water pill because of the foot swelling due to the cellulitis in the leg, so I don't think I'm retaining water--the pill is a temporary measure, but I probably do eat too much sodium. I don't worry about it, since I don't have high BP, but of course that's not really a good reason! And given how much sugar I am NOT eating, it's a little disconcerting to hear my sugar is too high, lol, but I will take that into consideration.

The exercise thing is an issue. I am walking at lunchtime and on weekends, and not even supposed to be doing that with the swollen leg/foot, but the swelling has gone way down and I seem to be OK even after trucking along a couple of miles. I don't think that starting to run is even an option at this age--plus I had miniscus surgery about eight years ago and the doctor said it wasn't a good idea to take up jogging or anything with the cartilage gone on the knee. I have been thinking of getting a bicycle, though. I live somewhere flat, and once the tourists are gone from the shore, I could take a bicycle down by the ocean and ride along for quite aways. I haven't ridden a bike in probably 40 years, of course, but I think that's something I could get into, AND I just recently learned that there's a pretty good used bike shop in Asbury Park! Zumba classes, gyms, blah blah blah, won't work for me. I don't have that kind of free time on my hands, at least not during the week. I rise at 5, catch a 6:30 train, get to work by 8, and I don't get home until after 7, sometimes 8, and at that point, I'm not going out again. I'm in bed by 9:30 or 10 during the week.

Oh, I DID try the "planks" you recommended in the other email, and while I obviously can't hold them for 30 seconds yet, I did (barely) make 15, and I have been doing them in the morning, along with some basic stretches I remember from other exercise classes and a few of the other things you recommended with weights (I printed your post out). It feels good doing that first thing in the a.m. and kind of wakes me up for the day.

But thanks to you and Kathryn for your advice. I've got to do this, but after practically starving myself for about ten days, it sure as hell felt as though I should have lost ten pounds or something by now. LOL, that's an exaggeration, but just last fall, before I quit smoking, I basically just gave up sugar, added a salad every day, started walking (did even jog for short bursts here and there) and the weight was coming off. I had started to wear clothing I couldn't fit into before. Now I'm doing much more than I was then as far as diet goes, and...gaining weight? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway. I DID go ahead and have my cheeseburger at the surf shack at the beach and it was wonderful. Skipped the soda--I'm not really a soda drinker at all, but I was craving root beer and they were out of it, so I stayed with my water. It was just so WONDERFUL to eat something that hit my stomach and immediately felt satisfying, and I felt full. Wasn't hungry for hours after that, either. Haven't experienced that feeling in more than a week, lol!

Back to a salad and chicken tonight.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I have been really frustrated with my progress on the scale all summer. I have lost maybe 5 pounds since May. I am also down an entire pants size and I have lost some inches.

Use a tape measure to track your progress. But most importantly give things enough time to happen. It won't change overnight.
I do know that. As I wrote in my post to Anon-Chick, I had just made some minor changes and added exercise last fall, and the weight was coming off. I expected the same results again, but I think from quitting smoking my metabolism has changed and it's a little more resistant. I didn't expect to gain two pounds after walking around hungry and cranky for a week and a half, though, lol!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:15 PM

Hey Anon-Chick--I just joined MyFitnessPal--I know my niece uses this, and THEY said my calorie intake should be 1,790 Calories / Day with working out 30 minutes a day three times a week in order to lose one pound a week.

Woo-hoo, I'm RICH! Actually, I WOULD like to lose more than one pound a week, but that's what they recommend, so I will start with that. I need to be realistic.

I don't have an I-phone, so I'll have to still write everything down and enter it in via the web, but it looks like a good site.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-01-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 06:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Hey Anon-Chick--I just joined MyFitnessPal--I know my niece uses this, and THEY said my calorie intake should be 1,790 Calories / Day with working out 30 minutes a day three times a week in order to lose one pound a week.

Woo-hoo, I'm RICH!

I don't have an I-phone, so I'll have to still write everything down and enter it in via the web, but it looks like a good site.
Just remember that 30 minutes/day 3x/week exercise doesn't include planks. They're talking lunge-walking, dancing, doing the twist, belly-dancing, hoola hooping, bike riding, running, jogging, etc. etc. Things to really get your heart rate up and work off a good sweat.

My #1 recommendation for you (to keep the stress down on your leg and knee) - is hoola hoop. This is a head-to-toe cardio workout, at *zero* impact. When you're hooping, you're even flexing the muscles in your jaw, that's how inclusive it is.

You can get a cheap Wham-O at the supermarket for around $3. Or you could get a weighted hoop, they're weighted with a little water inside them that shifts the centrifugal force when it's spinning. It spins slower, stays up longer, and in my opinion doesn't give as much of a workout as the original type. Plus they're like $30 each, which is just flat out stupid if you ask me. It's just a hoola hoop with water in it for chrissakes

Poke a hole in a normal one, add a measured cup of water, duct tape the hole, and get spinning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss