Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 103,458 times

Advertisements

I'm Trying To Lose Weight After Having A Baby And Need The Extra Boost Because Diet And Exercise Is Just Not Doing It For Me
My OB/GYN Doesn't Prescribe Them.

Dose Anyone Know A Doctor In The Tacoma Or Puyallup Area That Does?
Please Let Me Know. I Have 40 Pounds To Lose. (5'2 160 Pounds)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Good for your OBGYN for NOT prescribing adipex. Due to the appetite supressing effects of adipex almost NO OBGYNs describe it for breastfeeding moms because its more important that mom gets the extra calories/nutrition for breastfeeding her baby than for losing weight.

If you need to lose pounds, exercise. Dont risk the health of your baby by taking that junk. Your obgyn gets a gold star.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Ditto....phentermine causes a lot of issues. Get an rx for a home gym and a nutrionist.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:22 AM

6 posts, read 103,458 times
i'm not breast feeding its been almost 6 months since i had my child and i have been exercising thats the whole point why i need them.
i know of the risk's and they don't always apply to everyone i've taken them before so i'm sure i'll be fine. all i asked was if anyone knew a doctor to lose weight, i didn't ask for someone to tell me about side affects.

thanks anyways tho

Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Well, this isnt a "Drug Dealer Referral Board" its a "Diet and Weight Loss" board so expect posts with different points of view when you start a thread. Especially one asking for Rx drug referrals.

I suggest picking up a "Healthy Eating" or "Nutrition" book at your local B&N or better yet Borders since they are having closeout sales and get yourself some dumbbells and do squats and military presses. Taking walks with your little one would be better for you as well instead of taking some Rx pill and "hoping" to lose weight.

Try joining a gym. Equinox gym (my favorite) has babysitting for babies as young as 6 months old. It would be perfect for you.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default An overlooked key to this whole thing, perhaps

To the OP: You say you are exercising, and good for you. If you weren't you would probably be even heavier. However, you didn't say how much exercise you are getting, and what type. I would suggest increasing your cardio (walking, jogging, swimming, or cycling) to four days a week at an absolute minimum of 30 minutes per session - 45 minutes is much better. If you are walking only, fine, but try to increase the pace a little once you are comfortable walking for 45 minutes. Add resistance training (weight work-outs) if you don't already do any. The amount of exercise makes a difference.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
even when i was 350lbs i couldnt find a dr who even remotly supported weight loss/diet pills, the risks associated with them are too high for use even in much more desperate situations.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:31 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Agreed, especially with Lao, as he hit it right on the head. Get educated. There are alot of alternatives to taking drugs or chemicals to lose weight. But, more than anything, you have to be DEDICATED to a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. Taking pills is a temporary solution at best, and you WILL gain all the weight back.

Ian

Old 02-20-2011, 03:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
if you were on it before why not just go back to the doctor that perscribed last time?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
I find the mind-set of the OP more than a little scary. Her doctor tells her he will not prescribe something because of the dangers involved, and she just discounts what he says. How many years of medical school does the OP have? This attitude is pervasive throughout society now days, much to our general detriment; it is the attitude that confuses freedom and license, the attitude that cannot stand any impediment to getting what we want and getting it now. If we want something, then by god, that's what we ought to be getting, whether it be a mortgage even though our only qualification is the ability to fog a mirror, or whether it be drugs, either legal or illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss