U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2011, 08:30 AM

654 posts, read 895,017 times
Default Losing Belly Weight

A few months shy of my 40th birthday, and I've noticed that I'm losing the battle of the bulge. I'm 6'2, 220, but packing some serious weight on my midsection. I've always had a little belly weight-even when I was doing daily PT while on active duty in the Army. However, this is getting too much. Most of my XL shirts won't fit well, and XXL looks like a circus tent on me.
So what do I do? I've started doing some cardio, but just started up. I'm knocking my late nite and between meal snacking out, just eating three meals per day. Any recommendations on the type of exercises/cardio that can help get rid of the flab?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 AM

11,166 posts, read 14,345,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
A few months shy of my 40th birthday, and I've noticed that I'm losing the battle of the bulge. I'm 6'2, 220, but packing some serious weight on my midsection. I've always had a little belly weight-even when I was doing daily PT while on active duty in the Army. However, this is getting too much. Most of my XL shirts won't fit well, and XXL looks like a circus tent on me.
So what do I do? I've started doing some cardio, but just started up. I'm knocking my late nite and between meal snacking out, just eating three meals per day. Any recommendations on the type of exercises/cardio that can help get rid of the flab?
1. Good job in ditching the late night snack.
2. Whatever you're eating for dinner, eat less of it, and if possible, eat it a -little- earlier than whatever time you're eating it now. And then...
3. Add an *early evening* snack of something healthful, such as apple wedges and a couple of cubes of cheddar cheese, or a fistful of romain lettuce with sunflower seeds, raisins, lemon juice and olive oil. Not a meal. Definitely snack-sized, and definitely simple.
4. Stomach crunches, seated or incline; whichever you prefer. I find it easier on my back to use a seated ab machine than an incline machine, plus it's less stressful for your neck to push down, than it is to pull up. But whichever you prefer, definitely do those. It won't "lose flab" but it will tighten muscle.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,635,086 times
Try a high protein regime like The Zone, Atkins, or Dukan which hits the U.S. next month!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM

861 posts, read 1,039,772 times
I'm with you. I'm 36 and at 6'1" and 240 I was just a bit too heavy for my liking. The only things I changed was 1) No fast food. Nothing from any of the chains period. 2) Don't eat as much as I'm use too. I started with half the portion that filled me up. I slowly decreased to amount to about 1/3 of what I use to eat. Still eating all the same stuff just less of it. When I get hungry in between it's carrots, celery, romaine or a fruit smoothie. I hate eating fruits by themselves so this was out for me but I can drink them.

In the last 8 months I've lost 40 lbs and i'm right at the 200lbs. The first couple of months where easy. I dropped almost 20 lbs in the first 2 months then the weight loss slowed but i'm still going. My job keeps me active so a gym routine is not really required.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM

985 posts, read 811,094 times
around the middle is the hardest place to lose the weight - i've lost 35 pounds in about the last year - really most of that was lost in the first 7 or 8 months- still have some around the middle - the trainers at my YMCA say that cardio arobic is the way to lose around the middle and cutting back on calories-i read somewhere that if you're middle aged 30 minutes o f intense exercise is enough to maintain your present weight but not lose

Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,233,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
You should go on a two week "CUT" first of about 1200-1500 calories per day. This is EXACTLY what I did with one of my students who is 6' 3" and almost 250. Basically, I just put him on the HIT Training "Get Fit Quick" plan to jump start his weight loss. Pick up the New HIT Training book by Ellington Darden and follow his plan. Or, you can do a HIT search here and find some of my old posts where I wrote in detail what the "diet" was. Basically its a VERY healthy 1200-1500 cal program that you do for two weeks while really UPPING your cardio.

Basic military PT running will not go to far in helping you achieve your goal. You need to do some plyo training and HIIT training. Run 3-5 miles one day and take note of your time, then the next day run the same distance but try to do it in a faster time. Next day, run 10 100 yard sprints with 30 seconds rest in between each sprint. Day after that, run 3 miles but on the last mile sprint FULL OUT for 20 seconds, then walk for 10 seconds, then sprint again 20 seconds, then walk 10 seconds.

I guarantee if you train like this AND have a healthy balanced nutrition plan (NOT a diet, NOT a low carb "this" or no carb "that" kind of nonsense) you WILL lose that stomach bulge. If you add in 2-3 days per week weight training (squats, deadlifts, military presses, even dips) in addition to the cardio, you'll find yourself in GREAT shape.

Most important part is HAVING A CLEAN HEALTHY NUTRITION INTAKE. Do not eat or drink ANY junk.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 PM

13,805 posts, read 17,916,814 times
Very high protein diets. I've almost completely eliminated all visceral fat, literally.. I'm like 2%

Old 04-09-2011, 11:09 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,635,086 times
Read The Zone, Dukan, Eat Right For Your Type or at least the Cliff's Notes online: get educated. High protein, low carb is your best bet if you are a blood type O. Make red meat one of your main protein choices if you are an O--- contains l-carnitine, a fat burning mineral. Works miracles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Very high protein diets. I've almost completely eliminated all visceral fat, literally.. I'm like 2%

Old 04-10-2011, 04:50 AM

13,805 posts, read 17,916,814 times
No real need to buy a book. Read the labels (or learn to read the labels if you're not familiar with them) and keep track of everything. That was keep track of EVERYTHING, not just the things you want to count...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss