Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,439,048 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Ohiogirl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
The Zone broke my addiction to carbs from day one.....it is low in carbs--- less than 100 grams a day. I did it for ten years & still refer to it. The more protein based diets you are familiar with, the better imo.......they are all similar. Even ER4YT says blood type Os thrive on high protein. It's *years of experience* that has made me a pro at weight management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The Zone eating regime might well be healthy and balanced. It has a ratio of carbs, fats, and proteins at 40:30:30. So 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% proteins. It certainly isn't a low-carb diet though, so if you're looking specifically for a low-carb diet in order to eliminate carbs entirely, I wouldn't recommend the Zone.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The Zone broke my addiction to carbs from day one.....it is low in carbs--- less than 100 grams a day. I did it for ten years & still refer to it. The more protein based diets you are familiar with, the better imo.......they are all similar. Even ER4YT says blood type Os thrive on high protein. It's *years of experience* that has made me a pro at weight management.

Lemon, if I may ask...what is the heaviest you'd been and what is your stable weight now, after years of weight management experience? I am not asking what is the lowest you got but what is the weight at which you settled comfortably?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 PM

208 posts, read 416,051 times
If you're looking for a high protein meal, try 2 boiled eggs (6 grams protein per egg), an orange and a cup of kefir (12 grams of protein per cup). It will leave you satisfied for hours. It's easily transported and you can eat it anytime.

I met a woman who hadn't had a potato in 20 years. I must have looked at her like a spiders were crawling from her eyes. Oh, the willpower! Staying away from carbs is also one of the keys for better digestion, at least for me. Giving up sugar is 90% of the battle for me. One day...

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Highest weight was 120 in the 80s....I am tiny, 5'1" and have weighed 97-102 for over a decade. My body fat ranges from 17%-20%...I am usually happier at the lower % & slightly higher weight. Although I have weighed 105 I've had trouble getting back up to that weight simply due to not lifting weights consistently like I should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Lemon, if I may ask...what is the heaviest you'd been and what is your stable weight now, after years of weight management experience? I am not asking what is the lowest you got but what is the weight at which you settled comfortably?

Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
I met a woman who hadn't had a potato in 20 years.
I didn't have a problem avoiding potatoes and rice (except fried rice in Chinese restaurants ... Why do I love that stuff so much?).

Pasta ... *sigh* is another story. Even so, I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. You learn to find substitutes. Spaghetti squash is a godsend and can be used in any recipe you'd use any kind of pasta. Those thick broccoli stems, julienned very thin and steamed lightly, make a great "pasta" for cold salads.

Fruit ... I love fruit. Fortunately, some of my favorites are berries, which are lower in carbs. Apples, while high in carbs, are also high in pectin, which doesn't have as big an effect on blood sugar.

One of my biggest binge triggers, though, is cheese. Even though it's high in protein, it's not a daily staple.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Such as? Can't have eggs every day,

Why not? The whole cholesterol thing has been discredited. An egg is as near perfect a food as you can get from one item.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Why not? The whole cholesterol thing has been discredited. An egg is as near perfect a food as you can get from one item.

Hmm...I read some of that but I am still conditioned by the knowledge I grew up with, namely that you should not have more than 2 eggs a week.
Also, not in the evening because they are heavy.

I feel weird having eggs every day and almost feeling like i am doing something extremely unhealthy. On top of that, my husband has high cholesterol (250) and to use eggs as a staple in our house feels extremely unfair to him.

I HAVE used eggs but sparingly. Granted, my kids could certainly use more eggs.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:40 AM

419 posts, read 868,444 times
Quote:
I feel weird having eggs every day and almost feeling like i am doing something extremely unhealthy. On top of that, my husband has high cholesterol (250) and to use eggs as a staple in our house feels extremely unfair to him.
I typically eat half a dozen eggs daily (though sometimes on weekends I go egg-free just for variety's sake). Been doing this for about a year or so now and, while my cholesterol has gone up to 174, my trigyclerides went down to 69. From what I've read, overall cholesterol is not always that big of a deal compared to trigs, so maybe the egg-eating is a good thing for me.

I understand how scary it is to go against the conventional wisdom that we grew up on...perhaps you could try eating eggs for a couple of months and then get your cholesterol, etc. tested. If the results are alarming, you can always drop the eggs.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
I would end up hating eggs if I felt I had to eat them every day. I use eggs in cooking, and have an egg or two every week for a meal with various additions (mushrooms, cheese, shallots, diced chicken, etc). But I eat them because I like them. If I had to limit my eating habits and had to stock up on eggs every day, I'd get sick of them. That'd be a shame.

There are plenty of other ways to include protein in your breakfast. You can have peanutbutter and bananas. You can have wasa and honey. You can have hummus. You can have chicken, you can eat chopped liver. When you eliminate the names of the meals from your vocabulary, you find that your options are a lot less limited than they were, when you thought you could only eat "breakfast food" for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss