Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
This is nonsense. It is a known fact that whole grains cause huge insulin spikes just like refined carbs. Whoever told him that is 100% incorrect.

No on whole grains and derivatives thereof. No on lean meats (fatty meats are superior), and no on beans (legumes). Also, 2% Homogenized Ultra Pasteurized milk is horrible. Drink raw milk from cow's fed on organic green grass pastures. If you don't have access to fresh raw milk, then organic full fat non homogenized and VAT pasteurized (as opposed to Ultra Pasteurized) is the next best option. Most local farms and smaller dairies offer this option in health food stores for slightly higher price. Also, water is good for sure, but if you drink too much water with your meals, you will not be properly digesting your food. This can cause nutrient deficiency, diarrhea, constipation, and all kinds of other gut problems.
Could you provide a source on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
its not a big difference.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM

106 posts, read 287,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Could you provide a source on that?
test before eating refined carbs like white bread. test after eating refined carbs.

test before eating whole grain bread. test after eating whole grain bread.

no source necessary. it's not my opinion.

Most whole grains are really whole wheat or a close derivative thereof. Whole wheat produces very significant spikes in blood glucose.

And by the way... as a side note, whole wheat in 2011 is not what whole wheat used to be 1,000 years ago. The wheat proteins have been highly modified. Over 99% of wheat today is a dwarf mutant version of the wheat of yesteryear. This mutation has consequences, as the body does not respond in the same way.

Anyway I could post links all day long. The point is I am providing you all with the knowledge. You do what you choose to do from here. Personally, I avoid wheat almost completely. Only in rare circumstances do I eat grain products, like for example today my company is throwing a party for me and one other person and they are catering pizza, pasta, salad. I may have a slice of pizza just so that I am socially a normal person. But 95+% of the time, I avoid grains, legumes, polyunsaturated fats (omega6), excess fructose like that in juice and soda and anything with HFCS (I do eat some whole fruit).

Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Point well taken on testing before and after eating refined and whole grains.
I'm not at all trying to be insulting, but you've made statements about such a wide number of other foods I think one would be foolish to take all of it as gospel just because you are "providing us with all the knowledge" without knowing where you get your information. And also, perhaps we'd like to look at it in more detail for ourselves.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Point well taken on testing before and after eating refined and whole grains.
I'm not at all trying to be insulting, but you've made statements about such a wide number of other foods I think one would be foolish to take all of it as gospel just because you are "providing us with all the knowledge" without knowing where you get your information. And also, perhaps we'd like to look at it in more detail for ourselves.
I understand. I come at health and nutrition from a much different angle than mainstream but I assure you that I the information I am presenting is sound and good. I will compile a few choice sources and post them here when I get a chance to. I don't want to put too much, because it can be overwhelming, but I will put some basics.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM

as requested, links provided (in new thread)

Where does Jack Kronk come up with this stuff?

Last edited by Jack Kronk; 04-26-2011 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,264 times
I generally think eating whole grains is a good idea unless you are Gluten Intolerant or sensitive as I might be. I have trouble when I eat too much Gluten, even just one bowl of Fiber One for a couple of days or whole grain bread for too many days is trouble for me.

I believe in eating lots of fruits and vegetable, legumes, lean meat if able and drinking lots and lots of water. I went totally Gluten Free for some months and now I just cut way back on Gluten foods. I lost 20 pounds eating really healthy and going Gluten Free helped to lose weight too, especially if you just don't take the time to read up on it so you eat more of the "SAFE" foods. I found I didn't snack much either.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'm not sure about ANY type grains. If you read doctors like Dr. Mercola's website you'll see very little need for grains. They cause insulin releases even in small amounts. I'm thinking a raw food diet of sprouts is best for health w/ limited fruit.

Hi Movintime!
I have listened to Dr Mercola, and agree and believe we dont need grains, but maybe very little. Although I love breads, I have just recently cut way back, but still like to eat quinoa and the more health-ier type grains... but been researching lately and now making green smoothies in my blendtec blender, eating raw veggies and fruits...
I believe that we, our bodies were not meant to eat grains, but infrequently, same goes with eating animal flesh... they killed their own animals, which takes energy and time, but plants, while plentiful, were eaten more often. easier than even grains to digest.

good for you, raw food is good for the body! but I know sprouts are great, what about greens? fruits do have sugar but since naturally occurring not too bad, potatoes and starchy veggies worse than fruits?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
You don't need grain based foods. You can get all the fiber you need from green vegetables and nuts. The problem is people don't eat enough of them. You should really have some at every meal.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
I've gone wheat/gluten free for the last two days. I've based my decision on the information found here in this blog:Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight and in Dr. Davis' book of the same name. According to Dr. Davis, the wheat of today has been genetically modified to the point that it no longer resembles the wheat of our parent's day. Some of the symptoms of wheat sensitivity discussed in his blog and in other sources of information include, weight gain, inability to lose weight, mental fog, acne and other skin problems, belly bloat, headaches, tiredness, food cravings, and a general feeling of being unwell...just to name a few.

In the two days since I have banished ALL gluten products from my diet, I've been amazed. First of all, I've been on a 1,200 calorie diet for two months. I've exercised like a fiend, yet I've gained weight. In the two days I've been wheat free, I've lost four pounds. Four pounds! And the only change I've made is to not eat wheat.

I, a chronic insomniac, slept for a solid seven hours last night. That NEVER happens. Generally, if I can fall asleep, I can't stay asleep. Not last night. I went to bed last night and woke up about 15 minutes before my alarm. I've been energetic today--instead of reaching for my afternoon French Press (as I'm nodding off over my keyboard at work) I worked until quitting time without even realizing that my normal afternoon lull had come and gone without any participation from me!

My teenage son doesn't realize it, but his diet is next on the overhaul express. I would bet that wheat sensitivity is genetic and I have a feeling that his impossible-to-get-rid-of acne can be traced to a sensitivity to wheat.

I've increased other non-gluten grains such as brown rice, quinoa, amaranth. I'm actually excited to continue this diet for life. If I feel this much more like my old self after two and a half days, I can't wait to see how I'll feel/look at the end of a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss