Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times

Advertisements

My husband weighs 320 pounds. According to every calorie table, a 300 pound person has to eat 5000 calories per day to maintain that. Well, I know him, and he does not eat 5000 calories per day. More like 2000 calories per day.
He even monitors his calorie intake.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-21-2011 at 01:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Have him visit a doctor. That is my thought on this.

If those supposedly 2000 calories you think he's eating contain a lot of calories from FAT (i.e., bad food) then its still likely that he would stay overweight.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,333 times
Definately start with a check up. He could have an under active thyroid or diabetes.

Next, I would bet dollars to donuts he's cheating somewhere or underestimating his portions. He's pretty heavy for only eating 2000 calories per day.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Definately start with a check up. He could have an under active thyroid or diabetes.

Next, I would bet dollars to donuts he's cheating somewhere or underestimating his portions. He's pretty heavy for only eating 2000 calories per day.
I know for a fact he is not cheating.I cook the meals and i am in good health and weight. His sister had thyroid problems and had thyroid removed at a early age. She was also severely overweight. Even when he was in the Army and did PT everyday he was overweight, but only by 20 pounds or so.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Have him visit a doctor. That is my thought on this.

If those supposedly 2000 calories you think he's eating contain a lot of calories from FAT (i.e., bad food) then its still likely that he would stay overweight.

But I thought calories was calories.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
But I thought calories was calories.
Which is better:

1500 calories from eating fresh vegetables

OR

1500 calories from eating Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal with super sized fries and coke

????????

I recently started a thread in the "Exercise" forum about its sooooo much more than just "Calories In and Calories Out" - http://www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...-out-lose.html

Of course, there are a few knuckleheads who posted in their who OBVIOUSLY dont know what they are talking about, but it is DEFINITELY more to losing weight than just simple "calories in and calories out".

Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Which is better:

1500 calories from eating fresh vegetables

OR

1500 calories from eating Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal with super sized fries and coke

????????

I recently started a thread in the "Exercise" forum about its sooooo much more than just "Calories In and Calories Out" - http://www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...-out-lose.html

Of course, there are a few knuckleheads who posted in their who OBVIOUSLY dont know what they are talking about, but it is DEFINITELY more to losing weight than just simple "calories in and calories out".

So, counting calories is not as good as I thought then. I mean, If I eat 1200 calories a day in just white chicken meat and veggies, will I loose weight faster than if I eat 1200 calories a day in form of hamburgers?

I know that eating veggies are better for us. A few weeks ago we started to walk together an hour a day on a forest trail near by our house. They also have some step-up benches half way around the trail that my husband do about 15 step ups every time he pass them. We do this in the morning before work and already, after 2-3 weeks, he has noticed improvements in the way he feels. Mu hubby is a big guy but for his size he is doing pretty good. I know people who are at a perfect weight that are in worse shape. It seems that the only thing that will help him loose his weight is working out.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
lao is confusing two issues - general health, and weight loss

for general health, as you already know, fresh is good, veggies are good, fried foods are bad, sodium is bad, etc, etc

for weight - calories is calories is close to true, but not exactly. The body uses more energy to digest proteins than carbs or fats, which is NOT reflected in food labeling, so listed calories from protein ARE effectively less than the same number from fats/carbs. And the body uses energy to digest zero calorie fiber, so foods equal in labeled calories but with different amounts of fiber will have different weight effects.

To think in a different box - oil is oil, but tar sands oil has MORE net impact on CO2 than other oil, because more energy is used in the process of extraction.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
So, counting calories is not as good as I thought then. I mean, If I eat 1200 calories a day in just white chicken meat and veggies, will I loose weight faster than if I eat 1200 calories a day in form of hamburgers?
marginally.

Vegetables have few calories, so in the former case most of your calories would be from the chicken, which is mostly protein.

In the case of a broiled/grilled hamburger, the calories would be from protein and fat, so the 1200 calories would have slightly more impact - but not so much if the hamburger is made with very lean beef.

There could of course be other health differences.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Any thoughts?
My immediate thought is that if a 320lb person ate only 2000 calories per day, the person would be losing weight at a dangerous rate. I suspect that either the intake log is not including all intake, or the spouse is not getting all the report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss