Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times

Advertisements

dean ornish:

Also, an optimal diet is low in refined carbohydrates. When you remove fiber and bran, you turn an unrefined carbohydrate into a refined one. The fiber and bran fill you up before you consume too many calories—you can only eat so many apples without getting full—but you can consume virtually unlimited amounts of refined carbohydrates such as sugar without getting full. And because refined carbohydrates are absorbed quickly, they cause blood glucose levels to spike which, in turn, leads to repeated insulin surges and, over time, may lead to insulin resistance diabetes.
Whole grains are rich in fiber which slows the absorption of food, causing blood glucose levels to be more stable and actually reducing the incidence of diabetes. Unfortunately, many studies of "low-fat diets" are often very high in refined carbohydrates. It's low in trans fatty acids and saturated fats and with enough fish oil to provide the good fats of omega-3 fatty acids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The fiber and bran fill you up before you consume too many calories—you can only eat so many apples without getting full—but you can consume virtually unlimited amounts of refined carbohydrates such as sugar without getting full.
this is about self control. i dont eat until im full whether its my whole grain oats or donuts.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is about self control. i dont eat until im full whether its my whole grain oats or donuts.

for any give percentage of "fullness" - 100% full, 80% full, or whatever, you will reach that point at fewer calories eating carbs high in fiber vs carbs low in fiber.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
for any give percentage of "fullness" - 100% full, 80% full, or whatever, you will reach that point at fewer calories eating carbs high in fiber vs carbs low in fiber.
i dont think thats how it really works. fiber and water gets pushed along fast, doesnt keep you full very long. this point of fullness doesnt have much merit to people who watch their diets.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
i dont think thats how it really works. fiber and water gets pushed along fast, doesnt keep you full very long. this point of fullness doesnt have much merit to people who watch their diets.

I think it is how it works - its been my own experience, and that of others, and is held by weight watchers among others. I do not have a study in hand though.

Point of fullness matters even if you are tracking, because it makes your "diet" more comfortable and thus more sustainable.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:45 PM

i dont get a % of fulness at the moment i eat. i eat and am satisfied. then the question is how long it is until i need to eat another meal. the fiber and water in your fruits, veggies, etc. dont keep you full for a longer amount of time. its the actual calories that your body digests. i will agree that at the moment of eating, you can knock back simple sugars faster than complex carbs. but even that is different than the fiber idea, because your body processes simple sugars faster.

my breakfast includes 1 cup of rolled oats. while i do feel they are filling when eaten, i dont feel like they give me any more time of being full than equal calories of something else.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 04-06-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
i dont get a % of fulness at the moment i eat. i eat and am satisfied. then the question is how long it is until i need to eat another meal. the fiber and water in your fruits, veggies, etc. dont keep you full for a longer amount of time. its the actual calories that your body digests. i will agree that at the moment of eating, you can knock back simple sugars faster than complex carbs. but even that is different than the fiber idea, because your body processes simple sugars faster.

I find eating a big salad does leave me full for some time. Satiety involved many things, not just blood sugar. And of course fiber helps to smooth the digestion of carbs so it also means less spiking and dropping of blood sugar levels.

this has something on studies involving fiber

Dietary Fiber and Weight Loss

Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I've found that my sensitivity to carbs is greatly effected by my body fat percentage. When my body fat percentage goes over a certain mark, IR kicks in (jitters, hunger between meals, the need to eat for energy) and I have to really watch the refined carbs in my diet like a hawk.

But when my body fat percentage falls below that "toxic" level, my hyper-sensitivity to carbs also falls away. Strength training, cardio and a sensible (though not perfect) diet work wonders.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 PM

you may eat less in a meal with the fiber or right after, but you will be hungrier faster than if you had eaten real calories. but hey, it never hurts to eat fiber. it has no calories. i love the stuff.

for a period of time, i would throw in a ton of vegetables with my lunch in place of what probably would be a carbohydrate of some sort. i couldnt keep up with it. it may have been filling at the moment, but i was starving not long afterwards. that would lead to trips to kfc.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 04-06-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
dean ornish:

Also, an optimal diet is low in refined carbohydrates. When you remove fiber and bran, you turn an unrefined carbohydrate into a refined one. The fiber and bran fill you up before you consume too many calories—you can only eat so many apples without getting full—but you can consume virtually unlimited amounts of refined carbohydrates such as sugar without getting full. And because refined carbohydrates are absorbed quickly, they cause blood glucose levels to spike which, in turn, leads to repeated insulin surges and, over time, may lead to insulin resistance diabetes.
Whole grains are rich in fiber which slows the absorption of food, causing blood glucose levels to be more stable and actually reducing the incidence of diabetes. Unfortunately, many studies of "low-fat diets" are often very high in refined carbohydrates. It's low in trans fatty acids and saturated fats and with enough fish oil to provide the good fats of omega-3 fatty acids
So he's pushing the low glycemic style diets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss