Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM

305 posts, read 652,933 times

Advertisements

If you want to build muscle I'd start doing it now whilst still in your 30's. Just trade some running for more weight lifting and increase protein intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,271,183 times
Some degree of insulin resistance due to thrifty genetic (ie holds on to calories & converts them to fat) may be the culprit. And of course middle age hormone loss which for men is called andropause. I still say limit the fruit & see if that helps you. Fructose is linked to IR & diabetes...period. Timothy Ferris says cut it out altogether. I'm more moderate--- reduce to one serving a day & get your carbs from vegetables & a slice or two of low glycemic bread, oats or grains.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,688,072 times
It's Ferriss, with 2 "s"s. Timothy Ferris, with 1 "s" is a completely different author.

Timothy Ferriss has no medical background, has had no formal nutritional education of any kind whatsoever anywhere in the entire history of his rather young life (born in 1977, he's only 34 years old). He is an entrepeneur who has bought and sold several companies - many of which had some relationship with physical fitness and nutrition, but he was never one of the experts, and still isn't.

In other words, if he actually wrote these books himself, he wrote them from the perspective of someone who knows only what he reads from google searches. If he had a ghostwriter, then no one will ever know what their credentials are - if they have any at all.

In short: Timothy Ferriss's opinion about nutrition is about as valid as my cat's opinion.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM

His views are likely echoed by the entire body building community. I'd much rather listen to him than the crooked American Medical Establishment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's Ferriss, with 2 "s"s. Timothy Ferris, with 1 "s" is a completely different author.

Timothy Ferriss has no medical background, has had no formal nutritional education of any kind whatsoever anywhere in the entire history of his rather young life (born in 1977, he's only 34 years old). He is an entrepeneur who has bought and sold several companies - many of which had some relationship with physical fitness and nutrition, but he was never one of the experts, and still isn't.

In other words, if he actually wrote these books himself, he wrote them from the perspective of someone who knows only what he reads from google searches. If he had a ghostwriter, then no one will ever know what their credentials are - if they have any at all.

In short: Timothy Ferriss's opinion about nutrition is about as valid as my cat's opinion.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,688,072 times
I'd rather listen to my cat.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,643,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'd rather listen to my cat.
Was just cruising in the General Forum section and saw your name on a thread, got curious I admit, and here I am. Happen to agree with you, anon! What is "gospel" today is tomorrow's garbage.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:15 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,522,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
His views are likely echoed by the entire body building community. I'd much rather listen to him than the crooked American Medical Establishment.

I know too many dedicated doctors, medical students, and medical researchers to share your feelings.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM

The lasting influence of one generation...unbelieveable. Thank God for the Internet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Was just cruising in the General Forum section and saw your name on a thread, got curious I admit, and here I am. Happen to agree with you, anon! What is "gospel" today is tomorrow's garbage.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,643,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The lasting influence of one generation...unbelieveable. Thank God for the Internet!
LOL When you get a little older, you'll realize how silly you look right now! Oh, and believe me, you will get to be as "old" as I am today! LOL It truly does happen to the best of us. Once upon a time, I thought if I did A, B, C, D, E and F, I could out beat aging! Oh, was I wrong and OH am I EVER laughing at myself for EVER thinking that way! LOL LOL LOL Oh, are you EVER in for the surprise of your life!

....I really hope you learn to live a little instead of worrying yourself to death.......

Old 04-29-2011, 02:42 PM

I'll make sure to do a little dance & shake my booty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
LOL When you get a little older, you'll realize how silly you look right now! Oh, and believe me, you will get to be as "old" as I am today! LOL It truly does happen to the best of us. Once upon a time, I thought if I did A, B, C, D, E and F, I could out beat aging! Oh, was I wrong and OH am I EVER laughing at myself for EVER thinking that way! LOL LOL LOL Oh, are you EVER in for the surprise of your life!

....I really hope you learn to live a little instead of worrying yourself to death.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss