Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:35 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The main food blood type As should avoid is red meat.....
And yet here I am, eating it all the time and still completely healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
For the time being. I have an A friend who likes meat & has developed acid reflux, indigestion, stress, fatigue & needs to lose his spare tire. It doesn't work for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Old 05-29-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
For the time being. I have an A friend who likes meat & has developed acid reflux, indigestion, stress, fatigue & needs to lose his spare tire. It doesn't work for him.
That's funny, I only suffer from heartburn when eating rice and pasta, which is (as far as I can gather) a recommended food for blood type A. Looks like another strike against this diet!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Yep, that's how they get them. Throw out some things that sound true and the drones will buy in.

Yeah, I think that MOST peoples evolved on MAINLY meat and vegetable matter...with a little other stuff thrown in when available.

But hey, when you want to make a buck.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Most doctors know very little about nutrition and fall back on "conventional wisdom" that's just now being debunked. This is probably because they have little time to do much reading so rely on what some pharmaceutical salesman tells them. A good litmus test would be to ask a doc if he recommends cooking with margarine versus lard. If he says the former you can bet he doesn't know squat and should be ignored on the topic of what you should be eating.
Mmm, that one's tricky though b/c storebought lard is hydrogenated. Margarine vs butter maybe. But have you ever had homemade lard? Oh my, it is really good--I went to a butcher once and got a big bag of pigfat and went home and rendered it into lard and my kitchen smelled of it for a month but it was a nice smell. The bonus was the cracklin's--the little bits of solids that render out of the fat, and they are really good. The lard made fabulous piecrusts and they didn't taste anything like the frozen ones. I can't believe I just posted this on a diet/weight loss board, lol.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
You seem obsessed with proving your point. You're practically an honorary O, good for you.

Quote:

Old 05-30-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You seem obsessed with proving your point. You're practically an honorary O, good for you.
Sounds like you just proved it for me.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Most doctors know very little about nutrition and fall back on "conventional wisdom" that's just now being debunked. This is probably because they have little time to do much reading so rely on what some pharmaceutical salesman tells them. A good litmus test would be to ask a doc if he recommends cooking with margarine versus lard. If he says the former you can bet he doesn't know squat and should be ignored on the topic of what you should be eating.

margarine vs lard. Hmmm. Maybe I will ask my doc if I should drive a volvo without a seat belt, or a Toyota. I doubt he will be up on which car is better for driving wihout a seat belt.

My doc suggested avoiding sat fats, but did not suggest adding transfats - he did refer me, IIRC, to the AHA site, which recommends against transfats. My doc DOES like me using olive oil, which doesnt appear to be part of your question.

I mean if you are gonna ask your doc questions based on the misleading choices used as part of the diet wars, its quite possible a doc who isnt up on the diet wars wont know how to answer.

Most phar salesmen are pushing their company's drugs. I dont think the docs get their dietary ideas from them.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
God I love stories like this and so glad you all found your fountain of health. This is how we're supposed to eat and I bet you have fun while you're raising your food and cooking it.

we're supposed to not eat olive oil? WTF? So much for my mediterranean ancestors. We are supposed to eat pork? So much for my kosher ancestors. And it has to be corn fed? so much for michael pollan, and the advantags of range fed meats, and the historical patterns of pig keeping in the preindustrial USA and elsewhere.

Sounds like its not "eat what your grandma ate" so much as "eat whatever pisses off the American Heart Association"

Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
God I love stories like this and so glad you all found your fountain of health. This is how we're supposed to eat and I bet you have fun while you're raising your food and cooking it.
SO you dont love MY story? How I improved MY blood numbers, but in ways that DID not surprise my doc, cause it was through weight loss from a calorie in calorie out based plan, and cause I leaned toward the AHA approach to sat fat, and cause I didnt do low carb (beyond what the reduction in calories in naturally led to) nor did I avoid all processed foods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss