Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:18 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times

Advertisements

It's not slow versus fast weight loss but what approach produces a *permanent* result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
There exists no approach that produces a permanent result. Human beings change; their hormones change, their metabolism changes, overall health changes, allergies change, and even personal tastes for food changes. A person who is Type R, who has been successful for 10 years eating nothing but R-approved foods, might suddenly become allergic to half of those foods, which might be part of Type R Diet's method of providing a certain nutrient. But now, R-dieter can no longer consume those foods containing that nutrient, and need to revert to some other source of that nutrient - which isn't on the list of approved type R foods.

Or maybe Q-dieter started on the Q diet because it was perfect for him at the time; it included all the foods he loved, and he never felt like he was depriving himself. Unfortunately, after quitting smoking, his taste buds changed, and he discovered that he really can't stand the taste of the five most important items on the Q diet food list. Even the smell is offensive to him now. And so he can no longer maintain a "permanent" weight loss by staying on the Q diet, because he can no longer stand to be on the Q diet.

S dieter was doing fine, lost 50 pounds and was maintaining for three years. Then, S dieter went into menopause, and her hormones changed. What helped her lose 50 pounds and maintain for 3 years, was now making her lose even more weight, to the point where she was becoming emaciated, and the skin was starting to sag in wrinkly masses on her stomach, chest, hips, and thighs. She had to completely re-write her eating habits and cease the S diet immediately, before ketosis started threatening her kidney and liver function. The S diet was no longer suitable for her to maintain a permanent weight loss.

These aren't exceptions to the rule. These are things that happen *commonly* to people, over time, and as they age. As a result, there might well be long-term weight loss solutions, but maintaining a certain weight permanently, ultimately comes with adjusting the diet for natural physiological changes of the human body.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:39 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I believe that the best argument for a fast weight loss is that it will help to get you started. If you lose 5 lbs in that first week or so you will get excited and motivated and continue. I don't believe that it's good to try to keep losing it that fast--you've got to give your skin a chance to keep up.

I agree. It sort of gives you the incentive to keep going.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 AM

278 posts, read 576,935 times
I am practicing portion control only, eat a small portion of whatever I desire at that moment. So far I am dropping about a pound a week. I believe that when I hit my desired weight and the extra fat is gone, this method will create a sustained weight. I am also exercising everyday using the P90X series, but using it in my own way. I am not concerned right now about having a beachbody just a healthy overall me.
With the P90x thing I have tried going though the way it is recommended, but decided I was going to stick with the stretching one for awhile, and work my way up to the planned routine.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:50 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,327 times
It took me 2 years to lose 40 pounds. I have kept it off - 5 years since I started the "diet". I did it by counting calories and making healthy food choices. I don't count every calorie now as I don't have to because I have learned a new way to approach food - healthier choices and portion control. Slow was the best for me because it made me change my ways.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:01 PM

44 posts, read 72,229 times
Both work but it is easy to get discourage with either program. One takes too long to see results, the other one it's harder to stay on it because its demanding

I think all overweight people should do some kind of slow weight program if they are not planning to exercise or lose weight fast. The yo-yo and starving diets have created the illusion that most people can eat like pigs and lose 20 pounds in one month. So these people take their health on credit. Eat garbage today, lose the weight tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Calorie deprivation doesn't really work in the long run. You have to change habits and develop a different nutritional lifestyle that you can sustain. One thing to help ensure this is keep weighing yourself regularly. When you see yourself gaining again figure out why and quit doing whatever you're doing differently from when you were losing or maintaining. Personally I really like and do well with a low carb approach. I can pretty much eat as much as I want and so am never hungry. I'd also bet if you make a conscious effort to avoid sugar you'll keep it off longer. The old "low-fat diet" is a recipe for long term failure. Eat food you make using real ingredients. Don't eat anything that comes in a box or bag.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
In loss greater than two pounds a week puts you at risk of taking necessary fatty tissue from around your heart and can lead to heart disease, or so I read in a health journal years ago.

Studies have also shown that persons that lose on average more than two pound per week put the additional lost pounds back on within a couple of years, where those that lose at the slower rate have kept it off.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
In loss greater than two pounds a week puts you at risk of taking necessary fatty tissue from around your heart and can lead to heart disease, or so I read in a health journal years ago.

Studies have also shown that persons that lose on average more than two pound per week put the additional lost pounds back on within a couple of years, where those that lose at the slower rate have kept it off.
I think that depends how you lose it. If you lose do it on a low fat, low calorie diet that's probably true. If you do it on a high fat, low carb regimen it should not be.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Calorie deprivation doesn't really work in the long run. You have to change habits and develop a different nutritional lifestyle that you can sustain. One thing to help ensure this is keep weighing yourself regularly. When you see yourself gaining again figure out why and quit doing whatever you're doing differently from when you were losing or maintaining. Personally I really like and do well with a low carb approach. I can pretty much eat as much as I want and so am never hungry. I'd also bet if you make a conscious effort to avoid sugar you'll keep it off longer. The old "low-fat diet" is a recipe for long term failure. Eat food you make using real ingredients. Don't eat anything that comes in a box or bag.
Keeping calories under control doesnt have to be deprivation - WW is NOT about deprivation - with veggies, fruits, and other filling foods one need not feel deprived even in weight loss. As one goes to maintenance (the long run) one adds back calories.

No one calls for "low fat" thats a straw man - to lose weight on a calorie counting/WW type approach, you need to control ALL calorie intake, from any food group. Carbs, fats, whatever. And for cardiac health you can (and my doc suggested I do) control SAT FAT. He ENCOURAGED me to eat more Mono unsat, like olive oil - WW also suggests two servings of "healthy oils" a day.

the "low fat diet" is a straw man.

I can't always eat food I or my wife make - for reasons of time and convenience. Sometimes (not often) we eat something from a box or bag. Its possible to do so and lose weight, and to be healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss