Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,609 times

Advertisements

I've lost maybe ten pounds in the past year. I did it by cutting back portion sizes and increasing my physical activity. I went down from a size 6/8 to a size 4 and lost about two inches off my waist.

I feel great, but according to the BMI charts I still have about 7lb to lose to reach the high end of healthy. Even though I'm pretty content to be where I am and I think I look pretty good, is there some merit in trying for those last few pounds? I'm the only one in my immediate circle who thinks I should even be considering losing weight, but it's about health, not vanity to me. Is there a noticable difference in health with a 7lb loss? I don't want to look like a stick, but I also don't want to be lazy about my health.

If so, what exactly should I do to lose that last little bit? I'm already hungry all the time despite plenty of fiber and protein. It's true what they say- the last ten is the hardest to lose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
1. My understanding is that there are many studies showing considerable health benefits to getting into the normal range. There are also, IIUC, some studies showing that you don't get additional health benefits once you are below the obese range. So while its rock solid certain that there's health benefits to no longer being obese, my sense is that its not quite as certain for getting below overweight. But I think the preponderance of evidence is that its a wise move.

2. My doctor told me that there is a study showing that even WITHIN the normal range, lower weight is associated with a lower chance of cardio-vascular disease. We were discussing my own goal weight. I am within the normal range now, and two pounds short of my "goal weight" I have thought about a new goal 5 pounds lower. His only concern was that if I keep losing too long, I will deprived and rebound.

3. How to lose the last few pounds

I lost a lot of weight on my own too, through simply more sensible eating and more activity. Then I plateaued well short of where I wanted to be. I have kept losing by tracking, using the weight watchers approach.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I've lost maybe ten pounds in the past year. I did it by cutting back portion sizes and increasing my physical activity. I went down from a size 6/8 to a size 4 and lost about two inches off my waist.

I feel great, but according to the BMI charts I still have about 7lb to lose to reach the high end of healthy. Even though I'm pretty content to be where I am and I think I look pretty good, is there some merit in trying for those last few pounds? I'm the only one in my immediate circle who thinks I should even be considering losing weight, but it's about health, not vanity to me. Is there a noticable difference in health with a 7lb loss? I don't want to look like a stick, but I also don't want to be lazy about my health.

If so, what exactly should I do to lose that last little bit? I'm already hungry all the time despite plenty of fiber and protein. It's true what they say- the last ten is the hardest to lose!
So you think that being a size 2 is what makes you healthy?
Stop staring at that stupid BMI chart because it is way out there. When I wore a size 6,( some years ago for my 5.6 frame, I was still 20 pounds heavier than what the BMI considered perfect for me. Seriously!
At that time I was running 6 miles 4 days per week and lifted weights. BMI charts don;t take any of that into consideration. So you tell me
is your size 4 unhealthy?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post

I've always thought those BMI charts were originally created for elementary school kids. My own doctor said he thinks it is nothing more than a starting point and people need to look at the whole picture. All bodies are not created equal.

If you look good and feel good, why worry about a few pounds? Eat, already! If you eat a healthy diet, exercise and monitor your overall health, then you're doing great!!!

I recently dropped 10 lbs. I weigh 140, stand 5'4" and look better than I have in years. My BMI says I'm overweight yet I wear a size 4. Seriously? I'd rather keep that extra few pounds then starve myself to lose a few more to fit someones elses idea of "normal." My BP is still hovering higher than I'd like but it runs in the family. I do what I can to stay healthy but sometimes you are stuck dealing with genetics.

It's all about sustainability. I can sustain this weight with little effort and be happy. I could not sustain a very strict diet and exercise program for the long term. My mental well-being is just as important as my physical well-being. It's great to look good but I also want to enjoy life. Part of enjoying life is eating a great meal once in a while and not regretting a single morsel. Looking hot isn't so much fun when you're munching on carrot sticks and feeling hungry.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I've always thought those BMI charts were originally created for elementary school kids. My own doctor said he thinks it is nothing more than a starting point and people need to look at the whole picture. All bodies are not created equal.

If you look good and feel good, why worry about a few pounds? Eat, already! If you eat a healthy diet, exercise and monitor your overall health, then you're doing great!!!

I recently dropped 10 lbs. I weigh 140, stand 5'4" and look better than I have in years. My BMI says I'm overweight yet I wear a size 4. Seriously? I'd rather keep that extra few pounds then starve myself to lose a few more to fit someones elses idea of "normal." My BP is still hovering higher than I'd like but it runs in the family. I do what I can to stay healthy but sometimes you are stuck dealing with genetics.

It's all about sustainability. I can sustain this weight with little effort and be happy. I could not sustain a very strict diet and exercise program for the long term. My mental well-being is just as important as my physical well-being. It's great to look good but I also want to enjoy life. Part of enjoying life is eating a great meal once in a while and not regretting a single morsel. Looking hot isn't so much fun when you're munching on carrot sticks and feeling hungry.

Enough said!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
If you're an O eliminate wheat & dairy & include red meat. If you're an A limit red meat & fill up on veggies & protein from other animal sources. Os need to exercise, As need yoga, walking & stress reducing routines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss