Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
After reading through some of Alan Aragon's critiques on this diet, I'm condemning the Paleo diet(s) to the rank of shams like Tim Ferriss' book and the Blood Type/Genotype Diets with absolutely zero scientific backing.
Alan Aragon is just another Fitness Dude with an Opinion. The Internet is swarming with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Alan Aragon is just another Fitness Dude with an Opinion. The Internet is swarming with them.
Yes, and guys like Alan, Jamie Hale and Layne Norton are extremely educated and use science to come to their conclusions, rather than come to conclusions and seek out science to support it.

Of course it also helps that they don't stand to profit from pushing scientifically unsupported diets.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Yes, and guys like Alan, Jamie Hale and Layne Norton are extremely educated and use science to come to their conclusions, rather than come to conclusions and seek out science to support it.

Of course it also helps that they don't stand to profit from pushing scientifically unsupported diets.
I prefer Nick Nilsson, Rusty Moore, Craig Ballantyne, Anthony Bova, Martin Berkhan, Ori Hofmekler......

None of them does or endorses blood type theory, but they're all on to something.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I prefer Nick Nilsson, Rusty Moore, Craig Ballantyne, Anthony Bova, Martin Berkhan, Ori Hofmekler......
Nilsson, Moore, Ballantyne and Bova aren't very big names, and they don't show much scientific support for their beliefs but I didn't see much quackery out of them. Hofmekler is a joke with no formal education and is pushing his diet for money. You'd be better off heading to the local gym and listening to the broscience from the resident meathead.

If you're a fan of Martin Berkhan, than you're by proxy a fan of Alan Aragon. Alan and Martin are good friends are work in the same network of trainers which includes Hale and Norton.

Quote:
None of them does or endorses blood type theory
Of course not. These guys, Hofmekler not withstanding, seem to at least have respect for science.

Quote:
but they're all on to something.
And what is that, exactly? I didn't see a whole lot of overlap between them.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:55 PM

Oh, I also notice that you didn't list Lyle McDonald either. Just a few months ago you were swinging all over his nuts and now he doesn't even get a mention?

What gives?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:

None of them does or endorses blood type theory, but they're all on to something.
Yeah they're all on to the profits they make by selling their Diet du Jour.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah they're all on to the profits they make by selling their Diet du Jour.
Actually, they are busy writing blogs and disseminating important information online. Most of them make some money off their blogs, it's true. Hello, they've earned it!

Just last night I got a tip from Nick Nilsson to do a cycle that involves not eating protein in order to force the body to mop the protein up and build more muscle with appropriate training; it's exactly like carb loading only I've never heard anyone talk about it. What a good idea! Yeah, I follow Nick, he's pretty frickin smart.

How to Gain Muscle By Eating No Protein - by Nick Nilsson

Paleo........ I heard about that one day in the late 90s in a book called EAT RIGHT FOR YOUR TYPE by Peter D'Adamo. HE is the one who "introduced" that diet to the mainstream, PERIOD.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
In fact, Dudes with Opinions are your Go-To sources for information.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
In fact, Dudes with Opinions are your Go-To sources for information.
No my go-to the last ten years is a naturopath based in Connecticut, Peter D'Adamo. I have discovered some supplemental information from these online body builder dudes, it's all so educational.

Dr. Peter J. D?Adamo Interview

I base everything I do off Dr. D's advice; he doesn't, by the way, suggest any specific meal frequency, etc. The central components of the blood type O have never let me down: eat red meat, avoid wheat and dairy, and EXERCISE.

Peter D'Adamo is the one who originally introduced Paleo concepts to the mainstream. Whether body builders do Paleo/blood type O does not interest me in the least.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Actually, they are busy writing blogs and disseminating important information online. Most of them make some money off their blogs, it's true. Hello, they've earned it!
While I have no problem with someone earning money off their work, how they earn that money should be examined closely. While guys like D'Adamo and Ori Whatshisname try to get rich by pushing massively retarded diets, guys like Alan Aragon and Layne Norton make their money by using their knowledge and experience to help people obtain their goals.

It's pretty obvious which ones should be more trusted.

Quote:
Just last night I got a tip from Nick Nilsson to do a cycle that involves not eating protein in order to force the body to mop the protein up and build more muscle with appropriate training; it's exactly like carb loading only I've never heard anyone talk about it. What a good idea! Yeah, I follow Nick, he's pretty frickin smart.

How to Gain Muscle By Eating No Protein - by Nick Nilsson
What a shock. Alot of broscience without citing a single study, and right off the bat I can see several extremely questionable claims in there.

Quote:
Paleo........ I heard about that one day in the late 90s in a book called EAT RIGHT FOR YOUR TYPE by Peter D'Adamo. HE is the one who "introduced" that diet to the mainstream, PERIOD.
You do realize these are two separate (though equally stupid) diets, right?

Quote:
No my go-to the last ten years is a naturopath based in Connecticut, Peter D'Adamo.
A man who has been discredited repeatedly.

Quote:
I have discovered some supplemental information from these online body builder dudes, it's all so educational.
You know D'Adamo tries to sell you supplements based off your blood type? That even tops Muscletech, the king of bull**** supplement marketing.

Quote:
The central components of the blood type O have never let me down: eat red meat, avoid wheat and dairy, and EXERCISE.
That's because the diet is not a terrible way to eat. It has absolutely nothing to do with your blood type.

Quote:
Peter D'Adamo is the one who originally introduced Paleo concepts to the mainstream.
No he didn't.

Quote:
Whether body builders do Paleo/blood type O does not interest me in the least.
Really? You sure like to talk alot about what goes on in the body building community (though you're usually wrong there too) when it suits you.

Logical consistency is not your strong suit is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss