Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 AM

660 posts, read 2,440,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
Something I noticed is that when I visit NYC, I do not see many overweight people. Maybe one reason is because NYC is such a walking city, and walking burns calories!
theres lots of fat people in manhattan and the other bouroughs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:02 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Until I moved to TN I had always lived in areas with a high concentration of phisically fit people so I guess I never really noticed obese people till I got here. I guess my idea of Obese is when you can't push your grocery cart past them in a grocery store isle, or the ones that have the red mark on their stomach from the steering wheel rub.

Rcm, I noticed that too...you can't get through the aisle. 50 years ago people weren't as aware of the health risks, in Tennessee, it is sometimes like going back to the 1940's.

People not from this area, are more aware, it seems. I wonder if it's an education thing.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Rcm, I noticed that too...you can't get through the aisle. 50 years ago people weren't as aware of the health risks, in Tennessee, it is sometimes like going back to the 1940's.

People not from this area, are more aware, it seems. I wonder if it's an education thing.
I don't know, without trying to be offensive i'd say educationally they probobly have'nt been exposed to an active way of life. This area tends to be very laid back and with only a few exceptions the answer to where are you going on vacation? is always...Myrtle Beach if they go anywhere at all.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM

9 posts, read 18,150 times
it depends on how tall the person is. i like kind off big women,but there is a limit. a women who is 5ft and like 180lbs i consider pretty overweight. a women closer to like 5'5, and between 140-160 lbs i find attractive.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:41 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,673 times
It's hard to say really. Some girls are 5'10" and weight almost 200 lbs but are athletic and look great. By medical standards, though, they would be obese.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
It's hard to say really. Some girls are 5'10" and weight almost 200 lbs but are athletic and look great. By medical standards, though, they would be obese.
No they would just be overweight. The BMI doesnt hit obese until 30. They are at 28. If you are athletic the BMI standards do not aply to you and you must go by body fat tests.

I go by the technical standards of it.
Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator
Home Body Fat Test

Old 06-21-2019, 01:55 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I am curious because where I live now, I see 20 year olds that look to be 270 lbs., yet they wear halter tops with everything showing- how strange -

I am just wondering what everyone else thinks- post what you would consider a problem weight. Thanks for any ideas....

sunny
For women of average height, generally a weight above 175 lbs. is obese to me....of course, you have to raise or lower that depending on height. For men of average height, about 240 lbs. plus is obese. As others have noted, there are men who are heavily muscled that can carry more weight and not be obese. One thing's for damn sure, we have far too many obese people in the USA and we as a nation need to get control of it.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 PM

289 posts, read 248,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
For women of average height, generally a weight above 175 lbs. is obese to me....of course, you have to raise or lower that depending on height. For men of average height, about 240 lbs. plus is obese. As others have noted, there are men who are heavily muscled that can carry more weight and not be obese. One thing's for damn sure, we have far too many obese people in the USA and we as a nation need to get control of it.
It's not just the USA, would put the UK not far behind have lived in Spain and Portugal definitely did not notice nearly as many obese people there Canada were I now live is better as well. Think the Mediterranean diet and the outside lifestyle are factors.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:40 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
It's not just the USA, would put the UK not far behind have lived in Spain and Portugal definitely did not notice nearly as many obese people there Canada were I now live is better as well. Think the Mediterranean diet and the outside lifestyle are factors.
Yeah I owned a condo in Marbella, Spain a few years....less obesity in Spain due to diet and possibly more active. I think it's a disgrace in the USA with the level of obesity not to mention the cost to treat that obesity and early death. Fortunately, I read The plant Paradox which showed me what I needed to do to lose all my excess weight and I've done that.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:48 PM

289 posts, read 248,221 times
Yes spent 4 months in Calahonda just down the road, were probably going to retire early to one of the costas.
Your right about the USA and food though don't seem to have such stringent regulations as most western countries.
Noticed your in washington State were 5 mins from the Laurier border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss