Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times

Advertisements

In the past 3-4 years I have gained 20 pounds and I am unhappy with my figure. While I used to be a promo model with a flat stomach, C-cup breasts and pretty much tight and toned, life has caught up with me, I spread out to a D-cup, with love handles, belly and back fat and can barely fit any clothes bought prior to 2009.

In Dec. 2010, I set out to lose the weight. I gave up meat, bread and pasta and began running 2-3 times weekly. 3 months past and I really never lost more than 2 pounds and I usually gained that back the next day. I also discovered I have chronic gastro issues, like bloating and gas and I bloat everytime I eat, doesn't even matter what. For this, I have taken gas pills and charcoal pills but they don't work anymore. I can take pics of my stomach when I first wake and again after my first meal and you can see the change. By evening, my stomach is usually much bigger and my waist band gets tight and uncomfortable. My bras get tight halfway through the day and I feel like a balloon. My gastro hasn't figured this out yet.

I've continued working out (some weeks not much, others better), but for the past month, I only eat fruits and veggies, no bread, pasta, meat, fried or junk food and 0 sugar drinks (Sobe, Diet Green Tea). While I have noticed I've gone done 3 pounds, I still cannot move the belly fat. I've taken to weights, which I lift for 30 mins, 5 times a week and mix in cardio (jogging 2-3 miles) or zumba. But the belly stays, The arms look great, the flabby belly does not.

I am 5'1, 135 pounds with a undesirably large chest and belly. What more can I do? I eat very small portions, drink water and avoid dairy. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
In the past 3-4 years I have gained 20 pounds and I am unhappy with my figure. While I used to be a promo model with a flat stomach, C-cup breasts and pretty much tight and toned, life has caught up with me, I spread out to a D-cup, with love handles, belly and back fat and can barely fit any clothes bought prior to 2009.

In Dec. 2010, I set out to lose the weight. I gave up meat, bread and pasta and began running 2-3 times weekly. 3 months past and I really never lost more than 2 pounds and I usually gained that back the next day. I also discovered I have chronic gastro issues, like bloating and gas and I bloat everytime I eat, doesn't even matter what. For this, I have taken gas pills and charcoal pills but they don't work anymore. I can take pics of my stomach when I first wake and again after my first meal and you can see the change. By evening, my stomach is usually much bigger and my waist band gets tight and uncomfortable. My bras get tight halfway through the day and I feel like a balloon. My gastro hasn't figured this out yet.

I've continued working out (some weeks not much, others better), but for the past month, I only eat fruits and veggies, no bread, pasta, meat, fried or junk food and 0 sugar drinks (Sobe, Diet Green Tea). While I have noticed I've gone done 3 pounds, I still cannot move the belly fat. I've taken to weights, which I lift for 30 mins, 5 times a week and mix in cardio (jogging 2-3 miles) or zumba. But the belly stays, The arms look great, the flabby belly does not.

I am 5'1, 135 pounds with a undesirably large chest and belly. What more can I do? I eat very small portions, drink water and avoid dairy. Any suggestions?
Change your genes.

Working out is a very healthy thing to do - unfortunately it makes you hungrier - that's why working out will not result in weight loss without controlling what you eat.

While Calories In = Calories Out, Your body sort of has a set point at which it adjusts your intake/waste/burn/store amounts. If you don't eat enough, you'll waste less. If you eat too much, you'll waste more.

Bottom line. You're probably doing most everything right. You work out, don't each much (unless you're underestimating and underreporting how many calories you consume). The older you get, the tougher it gets. If you really want to change it will take a lot of sustained will power. There are no easy answers or simple tricks.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
I also discovered I have chronic gastro issues, like bloating and gas and I bloat everytime I eat, doesn't even matter what. For this, I have taken gas pills and charcoal pills but they don't work anymore.

If I were you I would see a doctor right away. Forget about the weight for now - deal with this medical issue.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,209 times
have you tried eating whole grain bread, rice? I would suggest not to remove all carbs from your diet...just keep the good ones. Stay away from white pasta, white bread, white sugar. Also, have you consider if if a gluten-free diet may be good for you.

When you are running or doing the other workouts...are you engaging your core muscles? You should so that your abs are active while you're moving/doing other things. Try do to different routines every day to distract your body and make it work harder. Count calories and account for all drinks/snacks you consume.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Sounds like the same issues my wife is having. For her, she needs to step up the "jogging" and be more consistent in her general workouts. She also has her good weeks and bad weeks, but you need to try to avoid those. Go out and do something whether or not you're in the mood for it. I used to listen to my head about how I didn't want to work out or I could have a light week and that just doesn't work; you need to tell your head to shut up and stop trying to sabotage everything
Another (sorta) easy way to lose at least 10 pounds in two weeks is to go on a liquid diet like a bariatric patient would do before surgery. I lost 16 pounds in the two weeks before my surgery and I won't lie and say it was fun, but it was effective. The first 4-5 days are the worst, but it gets better once your stomach stops getting mad at you for taking away all its fun.
Then just see what it takes to maintain it. There is no one solution for everyone when it comes to weight loss and you just need to figure out what works for you. Keeping on the exercise no matter what is a key, though.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Go full Atkins. Get your carbs down to no more than 20 a day for two weeks and see if you start losing significant pounds. Increase your fat consumption and don't worry so much about portion size if you're not eating carbs.. Cut out all artificial sweeteners and drink only water during that period. They retard weight loss and could possibly be causing your bloating issues (worth a try). Don't worry about your exercise routine as it's your diet that will make the difference.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Have you seen a doctor about your gastro issues? That's what I would do first.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
My gastro hasn't figured this out yet.

I only eat fruits and veggies,
I assume by "gastro" you mean gastroenterologist? So you're seeing a doctor?

Does he/she know all you eat is fruit and veggies?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Only fruits and veggies, means you're starving yourself of nutrients that are not present in fruits and veggies. You should definitely return to your gastro and tell him what you're eating - and what you're not eating.

You didn't mention nuts/legumes, or eggs, or fish, or any other source of protein and fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy organs. Even vegans know to include proteins and fatty acids in their diets. Also, some veggies and fruits are notoriously gassy; saying "I eat only fruits and veggies" is meaningless, if the fruits and veggies you're eating are particularly bad for you if eaten in large quantities or in inefficient proportions.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Go full Atkins. Get your carbs down to no more than 20 a day for two weeks and see if you start losing significant pounds. Increase your fat consumption and don't worry so much about portion size if you're not eating carbs.. Cut out all artificial sweeteners and drink only water during that period. They retard weight loss and could possibly be causing your bloating issues (worth a try). Don't worry about your exercise routine as it's your diet that will make the difference.
Not worrying about portion size and your exercise routine are two of the worst pieces of advice I've seen on here in a while.. How could a person possibly expect to lose weight if they eat any portion size they want? and every "diet" always includes exercise. Leading a sedentary lifestyle combined with large portion sizes will only guarantee an early death and quite a few wonderful diseases (like diabetes).
I'm all for reducing carbs, but you have to insert at least a little logic into the equation...

The OP definitely needs to increase their protein intake, though. A vegetable/fruit diet alone isn't going to help anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss