U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,223,797 times
Default Greek yogurt or regular?

Since I eat alot daily, would lowering costs of food by eating reg. yog. vs Greek be ok? I'd save $ but increase sugar, sodium & lose protein but I'd adjust portions to eat less due to these additives. But would I lose alot of nutrition? Does Greek contain things NOT in reg. other than higher levels of prot. & lower of the not so good things like sodium/sugar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 AM

14,141 posts, read 15,283,659 times
You can buy cheaper non-Greek plain yogurt that doesn't have all those additives, at least the sugar. Also, if you live near a Trader Joes they sell their own brand of Greek yogurt that's not that expensive.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,925,873 times
You can buy regular yogurt that has whey protein. I eat Ralph's (might be Kroger) Carbmaster yogurt..it's 60 calories, 1.5 grams of fat and 4 carbs. Some flavors have 8 to 12 grams of protein. Cost on sale is about 40 cents each. I have found greek yogurt on sale for roughly 99cents sometimes..more calories those...at least twice the amount and more carbs.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 AM

11,218 posts, read 15,160,053 times
I checked the Stonyfield website, looks like ounce for ounce, the greek wins.

Greek plain fatfree yogurt = 130 calories/cup, only 95 sodium, 350 potassium, only 9 carbs, 9 sugar, and a whopping 23 grams protein. 30% daily recommended calcium, riboflavin, and phosphorus.

Stonyfield's normal plain fatfree yogurt = 120 calories, over 100 sodium, 400 potassium, 11 carbs, 11 sugar, and only 9 grams protein. Also only 25% riboflavin and phosphorus.

It's all about the bang for the buck. They're both fat free, and the caloric content is similar enough that the difference doesn't really matter. But the greek has enough protein to cover 1/4 of your entire daily needs in a single 8-ounce serving. Plus - the greek's serving is 8 ounces, not 6, so it'll fill you up more. I adjusted the 6-ounce plain upward to an 8-ounce serving, so that the comparison would be between equal measurements of product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss