U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:45 PM

2,506 posts, read 994,879 times

Advertisements

So, I have been exercising for two months with resistance bands, I then changed my diet and count calories, I increased my water consumption to a healthy rate and I now walk about 7 hours a day at 3-5mph at my job. I don't sit much and am always moving around.

The weight has come off bit by bit, but suddenly stopped. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to boost it and keep the lbs shedding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 3,031,969 times
say what? 7 hrs a day???wow! How do you find time to eat,or sleep?

Greenchili

Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM

4,780 posts, read 6,297,931 times
I work an 8 hour shift and I walk an average of 8-12 miles a day..it all depends on how busy we are.

your body has gotten used to the walking...you need to add more excerise.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 AM

13,805 posts, read 19,017,929 times
a pedometer will tell you how much you walk and I believe a "normal" should be around 5 miles/day or 10,000 steps. As far as the weight loss suddenly stopping.. you need to make some additional changes to step things up again. The body gets to a "happy" point and will stay there. That's how it works with weight loss surgery. You lose a ton and then it just stops. If you don't like that weight, you have to make some additional changes to get it moving again. I'm currently trying to find the right balance that will keep me around 175 and not have me losing too little or too much. Never thought I would have to worry about losing too much weight, but it is possible. Much easier to gain too much weight, though...

Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 AM

272 posts, read 293,312 times
If your work would allow it, I would add little things to your walk. For example could you march like a soldier by bringing your knees up high with each step? Could you get away with walking backwards, sometimes? Skipping? What your body is telling you is the walking has become easy. I would speak to your boss about the improvements you have seen. Ask can you do some of the above things, as long as you continue to get your work done. The company may see it as a way to improve the health of the whole workforce.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,171,912 times
You are getting a huge amount of exercise (on WW this would be close to 25 points plus a day - as comparison, in weight lose mode, a typical (nonobese) participant would like get 29 daily points, and 49 weekly points)

I wonder how much you are eating, if you have plateaued.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 AM

807 posts, read 1,262,506 times
incorporate some weights in your workout routine..nothing too heavy...but perhaps get your body ouf of the habit of your current routine. If you don't like weights..you can alternate on your walk to doing walking lunges, broad jumps, squats, pushups, situps, dips, back extensions, etc.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,486,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
a pedometer will tell you how much you walk and I believe a "normal" should be around 5 miles/day or 10,000 steps.
10,000 is considered active. Below 5,000 is sedentary. I'll bet most Americans don't even do that much. I shoot for a minimum of 12,500 (considered very active) but sometimes can push it to 20,000.

Tough to tell why you're plateauing without knowing your diet but I would suspect there's something you're eating or drinking that's doing it, for example artificial sweeteners can slow weight loss. Also, are you drinking at least a gallon of water a day? You could also try limiting your carb consumption to no more than 20 per day for a couple weeks and see if that gets it restarted.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

856 posts, read 1,528,837 times
While it's great that you're walking that much, keep in mind that walking (even briskly) is low intensity and your body adjusts to it relatively quickly. Adding some high intensity, interval based training will raise your metabolism and also likely add more lean mass. That should help you break through your plateau.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM

9,074 posts, read 6,721,393 times
It's probably because the 8 miles are spread out over a 7hour period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss