Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
No no no...clearly you aren't fat anymore because you got drugs and/or counseling or did some weird fad diet. It can't be because you simply stopped eating so much.
Fad diets and drugs filed under FAILED. LOL

Didn't have to go the shrink route...yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
As a (current) fatty and a (former) smoker, I can tell you from personal experience that it's a lot easier to quit smoking than it is to lose weight...and quitting smoking is pretty damn hard. People are much meaner to fat people than they are to smokers, by the way. Smoking is seen as an addiction and being fat is seen as a moral flaw.

If you've never struggled with your weight, it might be hard to understand how hard it is to lose a lot of weight, and how hopeless a lot of fat people feel. I'm not talking about someone who needs to lose 20 lbs, but rather someone who needs to lose 100 lbs or more...it feels impossible. That's why people who can afford it are having surgery to lose weight.

I've been large my entire life, but when I quit smoking, I gained 40 lbs without increasing my food intake at all. I broke my leg soon after that, had surgery and spent months in a wheelchair, and I gained a lot of weight then...I was pretty heavily medicated and I don't remember what I ate but it must have been a lot. And once I could walk again, I couldn't walk very far at all. I stayed home and felt sorry for myself for more than a year...sleeping 16 hours a day, only leaving the house to get the kids from school, etc. I know now that I was depressed, but I couldn't tell then.

When I wanted to start exercising, my first concern was that people would laugh at me. My second concern was that they don't make exercise clothes in my size. If I want exercise clothes, I have to buy them in the men's department, because apparently men are allowed to be fatter than women. Third, when you get to a certain size, the exercise machines at the gym or especially the ones you can buy for home use are just not designed for someone your size. For example, I was looking for an exercise bike and all the ones I saw at Walmart or Academy had a maximum weight capacity of 225.

Now that I've made myself get out there and exercise in public, it's a lot easier to go every day. I've been riding a bike about five miles a day (I know, that's not a lot, but it's a good start for me) for the last two and a half months. I have had one person laugh at me when I rode past...just one, and I responded with the one-finger wave Since I started riding every day, I've seen a few other large ladies on bicycles in my neighborhood, and I'm glad they feel comfortable enough to exercise too. I've lost 16 lbs, and 8" from my waist and hips. I'm taking it one day at a time, focusing on being strong and healthy rather than giving myself a weight loss goal per month, or a goal weight for the end of a diet...hoping to form healthy habits that will last the rest of my life.

I do think that people should stop making fun of fat people...it's hard to find the strength to start solving the problem when you feel like the whole world is laughing at you. A lot of overweight people have emotional eating issues...food is a comfort, the more they feel unloved and unaccepted, the more they eat, the fatter they get...it's a cycle it's hard to get out of.

Last edited by Hedgehog_Mom; 07-28-2011 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: forgot to finish a sentence

Old 07-28-2011, 01:47 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
No, famine and starvation wouldn't be as big as a problem if people would stop breeding like rabbits.

The world would be a better place if people didn't feel entitled to have 5-6 children.
This

Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you've never struggled with your weight, it might be hard to understand how hard it is to lose a lot of weight, and how hopeless a lot of fat people feel.

This is another troublesome tidbit. First the assumption that someone who responds has never been obese. For myself, I have. Trust me. The other business is the assumption that we don't know it is hard. Trust me there too. I know it is hard. Life is hard.

In this case, the matter is, however, simple.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
No, see, I already pay for all that crap. I own a home; I pay school tax. Perhaps you don't quite understand the concept of how taxes work or you wouldn't make such a stupid statement.
Well good for you. That doesn't negate the fact that parents have fewer taxes taken out than childless people who have the same income.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 PM

1 child dies every 5 seconds as a result of hunger - 700 every hour - 16 000 each day - 6 million each year - 60% of all child deaths (2002-2008)

Child mortality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if you have a kid and live in a poor area they only have a 50/50 change of living. When you only have so many years to have kids....Idealism in place of being generous when you have the means...

Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This is another troublesome tidbit. First the assumption that someone who responds has never been obese. For myself, I have. Trust me. The other business is the assumption that we don't know it is hard. Trust me there too. I know it is hard. Life is hard.

In this case, the matter is, however, simple.
Yep. Still not as hard as recovery from a heart attack...if you recover at all.

Funny is it was easier for me to lose weight than quit smoking. LOL

Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
1 child dies every 5 seconds as a result of hunger - 700 every hour - 16 000 each day - 6 million each year - 60% of all child deaths (2002-2008)

Child mortality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if you have a kid and live in a poor area they only have a 50/50 change of living. When you only have so many years to have kids....Idealism in place of being generous when you have the means...
Our hunter gatherer ancestors figured out that having less mouths to feed means a better chance of survival for child(ren) they have.

"Primitive" hunter gatherers got this while we breed ourselves into oblivian.

If a child dies, you have another one if you can. Don't have 12 kids in the hopes that 6 will survive. That's stupid as hell.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
As a (current) fatty and a (former) smoker, I can tell you from personal experience that it's a lot easier to quit smoking than it is to lose weight...and quitting smoking is pretty damn hard. People are much meaner to fat people than they are to smokers, by the way. Smoking is seen as an addiction and being fat is seen as a moral flaw.

If you've never struggled with your weight, it might be hard to understand how hard it is to lose a lot of weight, and how hopeless a lot of fat people feel. I'm not talking about someone who needs to lose 20 lbs, but rather someone who needs to lose 100 lbs or more...it feels impossible. That's why people who can afford it are having surgery to lose weight.

I've been large my entire life, but when I quit smoking, I gained 40 lbs without increasing my food intake at all. I broke my leg soon after that, had surgery and spent months in a wheelchair, and I gained a lot of weight then...I was pretty heavily medicated and I don't remember what I ate but it must have been a lot. And once I could walk again, I couldn't walk very far at all. I stayed home and felt sorry for myself for more than a year...sleeping 16 hours a day, only leaving the house to get the kids from school, etc. I know now that I was depressed, but I couldn't tell then.

When I wanted to start exercising, my first concern was that people would laugh at me. My second concern was that they don't make exercise clothes in my size. If I want exercise clothes, I have to buy them in the men's department, because apparently men are allowed to be fatter than women. Third, when you get to a certain size, the exercise machines at the gym or especially the ones you can buy for home use are just not designed for someone your size. For example, I was looking for an exercise bike and all the ones I saw at Walmart or Academy had a maximum weight capacity of 225.

Now that I've made myself get out there and exercise in public, it's a lot easier to go every day. I've been riding a bike about five miles a day (I know, that's not a lot, but it's a good start for me) for the last two and a half months. I have had one person laugh at me when I rode past...just one, and I responded with the one-finger wave Since I started riding every day, I've seen a few other large ladies on bicycles in my neighborhood, and I'm glad they feel comfortable enough to exercise too. I've lost 16 lbs, and 8" from my waist and hips. I'm taking it one day at a time, focusing on being strong and healthy rather than giving myself a weight loss goal per month, or a goal weight for the end of a diet...hoping to form healthy habits that will last the rest of my life.

I do think that people should stop making fun of fat people...it's hard to find the strength to start solving the problem when you feel like the whole world is laughing at you. A lot of overweight people have emotional eating issues...food is a comfort, the more they feel unloved and unaccepted, the more they eat, the fatter they get...it's a cycle it's hard to get out of.
What a wonderful post, Hedgehog Mom. Congratulations with your success so far and best wishes in the future with your healthy weight loss goals!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Our hunter gatherer ancestors figured out that having less mouths to feed means a better chance of survival for child(ren) they have.

"Primitive" hunter gatherers got this while we breed ourselves into oblivian.

If a child dies, you have another one if you can. Don't have 12 kids in the hopes that 6 will survive. That's stupid as hell.
Well its why you are even here. You seem unaware of the fact birth control is not an option in those parts and that half die before a very young age. So you would be a lot less likely to have six. Maybe two will make it. Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss