Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 AM

355 posts, read 1,113,727 times

Advertisements

-Avoid sauces/additives as much as possible - ketchup, mustard, mayo, bbq, miracle whip, dressings, salt, sugar

-Do leg extensions while at my desk

-If I haven't worked out for the day, I do short sets of pullups (at home) whenever I get the chance.

-Bring snacks to work instead of buying junk food they sell here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 AM

858 posts, read 2,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Portion control is a something I often struggle with...so, I've switched from using dinner plates to using salad plates for my meals...simple, but it seems to work fine. Fools the eye into thinking I'm getting a large serving--a full plate--but actually, I've cut down by 1/3-1/2.

Another thing I do is to serve a lot of bulk with most meals--a large spinach salad, for example, or a bowl of vegetable soup to start. Often, dessert is a half sliced apple or a piece of other in-season fruit. The more bulk, the fuller I feel.

When I reduced my intake of carbs (not eliminated--reduced), and increased my gym visits, I easily lost 12 pounds over 3-4 months without trying very hard or feeling at all deprived. I hate diets, but love eating this new way as I can sustain it forever.

More vegetables, more fiber, fewer carbs, and more exercise seems to be a magic formula that works without doing anything fadd-ish.
LittleDolphin,.....fantastic ideas which we did and they work. The salad plate is the easiest change and it does work!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 AM

240 posts, read 418,796 times
The things I do to help with my fitness/health goals:

1. I take more walks and leave the car behind (I have done this now for 7 years. I take a walk to the stores that are less than 2 miles from me).

2. Make myself eat a fruit with my breakfast, a fruit or veggie with lunch, and veggies for dinner (3 times a day).

3. I cut all my hair off, so my hair can grow back healthy again (at least I get to see what my natural haircolor is now, which I haven't seen in 20 years).

4. I quit drinking coffee a month ago (I never was much a coffee drinker, but when I did drink it, I noticed that it always disagreed with me all the time).

5. I keep my workouts/exercises simple (jogging, fitness walking, and Yoga. Sometimes my aerobics/weight training DVD, when the weather is too bad to go out to exercise in).

6. If I don't feel like working out, I'll just do Yoga ("active-rest" workout).

7. I take the stairs more often (like our local library, I always do the stairs there).

8. Reading about running and fitness walking helps me stay motivated (got a few books on these 2 subjects).

9. Praying to God before a workout helps too.

10. Going to bed between 9:30pm-10:15pm helps with getting up early to workout.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 PM

22,237 posts, read 29,269,623 times
I don't do sodas/teas/coffee at all. Just water and 2% milk and pinot grigio Of course not all together
Work out 5 days a week including doing 1 hr of cardio a day.
Do things around my parents house like clean it for them or mow their 1 acre yard
I like to go to the mall and walk around and boost the economy. When I'm working, I'm a server so that's another work out in itself.
I eat pretty good except I do get my Taco Bell cravings once in a while. I do have them because I work hard so its good to indulge every once in a while

Old 09-17-2011, 01:11 PM

42 posts, read 143,523 times
In a little over 2 months, I have lost 24 lbs. I don't do any exercise and my lifestyle is the same as before. Well....except for some minor dietary changes. Namely, (1) no sugar in my coffee anymore - I use Stevia, (2) no products with refined sugars (that's almost all processed foods in the market), (3) severely limit starchy foods like potatoes and yams, (4) no more white flour products like white bread, (5) Switched over to whole wheat bread but limited quantity, and (6) eat as much as I want of naturally occurring fruits, vegetables, meats, and dairy. Never been hungry and am losing 2-4 lbs a week like clockwork. Gone from 224 to 200. Shooting for 180 lbs. How Do I Lose Belly Fat? | Life With Dickie

Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,896,044 times
Another thing I do is avoid idle snacking. This could really ruin a well thought out nutrition/diet plan. Idle snacking is having something (anything) to much on while watching tv, surfing the net, etc. Because I find that most of the attention is on the "other" thing (tv, computer, etc.) before you know it, youve chowed down on a whole bag of chips, or whole bag of raw almonds, or a bunch of grapes.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,981,762 times
Weigh myself every day.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,263,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Another thing I do is avoid idle snacking. This could really ruin a well thought out nutrition/diet plan. Idle snacking is having something (anything) to much on while watching tv, surfing the net, etc. Because I find that most of the attention is on the "other" thing (tv, computer, etc.) before you know it, youve chowed down on a whole bag of chips, or whole bag of raw almonds, or a bunch of grapes.
I did this too. In fact, slowing down while eating has helped me realize that I actually could get full on one helping. And I also use salad plates for everything. On the rare occasions I do eat out, I ask for a doggy bag right away and cut the portions 1/4 to 1/2 - even the healthy foods.

I cut out all caloric beverages. I would rather eat my calories. I drink only water and unsweetened flavored green tea (Walmart has a great selection). Diet sodas ruin my skin and bloats me.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,736,485 times
Here are a few things that I do:

1. When I get "midnight snacks" I grab a fruit instead of soda and a hotpocket or whatever is in the fridge/freezer

2. I take otc medicines to help me go to sleep quickly so I won't even think about food or get hungry.

3. I try to eat 6 small meals throughout the day.

4. If I get a sweet tooth attack, and there are many many times, I grab a piece of fruit or go brush my teeth I have that orange flavored crest toothpaste that tastes really good.

5. Started doing 10 situps and will gradually add another 10 more in Oct another 10 in Nov etc etc.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:28 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,254,665 times
I follow these simple guidelines:

1) Eat whenever I'm hungry.

2) Eat whatever I have a craving for.

3) Eat until I'm full.

You know, the way Mother Nature intended humans to eat. I've been eating that way for years. I eat salads and sushi as much as I eat Burger King and McDonalds. And I'm thin as a rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss