Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM

29 posts, read 41,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
Oh I'm so excited to see that someone else has read this!

I've also read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Taubes - they're both such great books, so full of amazing information. For those of us who have a carb problem, it really clicks!

But....while I TOTALLY believe this is the right course I have had such a hard time starting and sticking to it. In fact, my boyfriend and I plan on starting again this week. (fingers crossed)

Kicking carbs is brutal!

How are you doing with cravings? Or did that all end after the first week?
I read both books too and loved them! I recommend "Why We Get Fat" to most people though. The other is almost like a text book but extremely informative.
About cravings... I have a lot of experience with R&D Diet Cookies because I lost 75 lbs on them about 2 years ago and I've used them for maintenance since then.... so... long story short... I follow Taubes diet but still start most of my days with 1 or 2 cookies. I find I don't feel deprived or have any cravings whatsoever so it is something I can do longterm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

PS. For breakfast I cook two scrambled eggs in a coffee mug. Spray with Pam, throw in the eggs . . maybe 45 seconds in the microwave? Really depends on your microwave. I throw some cheese on top. Then two strips of already cooked bacon for 30 seconds. Breakfast takes maybe 2 minutes to make? Also, I KNOW this sounds gross but I did buy some pork skins or whatever he recommends? I live in the South so easy to find. When you want that CRUNCH they do the trick. Good Luck!

PS #2. Eating out is tough but it seems like everyone has a grilled chicken breast salad - with dressing on the side.
You spray your eggs with Pam and cook them in a microwave? Pam is full of chemicals - non of which should be consumed and none of which is healthy. As far as microwaves, they alter the protein chains in food and can cause serious health issues. (I don't have the time to go into detail here, but you can google this information for yourself).

Eating food prepared this way is just not a good idea, IMHO. It would much better to slowly simmer (at low temps), your eggs in some butter. I think, also that you can buy bacon at health food stores that do not have nitrates in them. just sayin'

20yrsinBranson

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 AM

97 posts, read 210,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIamtooB View Post
I read both books too and loved them! I recommend "Why We Get Fat" to most people though. The other is almost like a text book but extremely informative.
About cravings... I have a lot of experience with R&D Diet Cookies because I lost 75 lbs on them about 2 years ago and I've used them for maintenance since then.... so... long story short... I follow Taubes diet but still start most of my days with 1 or 2 cookies. I find I don't feel deprived or have any cravings whatsoever so it is something I can do longterm.

I agree. Good Calories, Bad Calories was earth shattering to me and I couldn't put that thing down! But if I had to recommend one of them to a person who was really new to the subject, I'd probably go with WWGF, because it's less text-booky and more direct about what he's trying to say.

Taubes makes a point to say he's not a nutritionist, he's a scientific journalist, and these are not diet books, but I think a lot of people find the sample eating plans in WWGF helpful.

75lbs - Wow, excellent, good for you!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think, also that you can buy bacon at health food stores that do not have nitrates in them. just sayin'
I don't think that's true. All bacon as far as I know has nitrates, even those labled "nitrate free" or "no nitrates added". They generally use celery powder which contains just as many harmful nitrates as the ones containing the actual chemical compound. Even the producers of these products think the government's labeling requirements on this are whack.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:40 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think that's true. All bacon as far as I know has nitrates, even those labled "nitrate free" or "no nitrates added". They generally use celery powder which contains just as many harmful nitrates as the ones containing the actual chemical compound. Even the producers of these products think the government's labeling requirements on this are whack.
You're probably correct. That being the case I would opt for a bacon "substitute" from my local health-food store's "fake meat" case.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You're probably correct. That being the case I would opt for a bacon "substitute" from my local health-food store's "fake meat" case.

20yrsinBranson
gak

Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM

I now make my own pork sausage made from fresh ground pork and Penzy's breakfast sausage seasoning. If I want a breakfast meat with my eggs I just keep a few of those in the fridge and fry them up along with my veggies. No nitrates but still tasty and "no carb".

Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Let me give you all a bit of advice.

Throw away the books by Taubes and forget everything you read in his book, because absolutely NOTHING in there is grounded in real science. In fact, Taubes has no formal education in nutrition or human physiology.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Throw away the books by Taubes and forget everything you read in his book, because absolutely NOTHING in there is grounded in real science. In fact, Taubes has no formal education in nutrition or human physiology.
At least Atkins was an actual doctor and devoted much of his life to researching the topic. If you're going to go low carb, it's hard to beat his 2002 edition of The New Diet Revolution.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Nutrition, no, but he has degrees in physics (harvard) aerospace engineering (stanford) and journalism (columbia). He has made a career out of debunking fake science, and he turned his focus on how certain calories interact inside the human body.

The main thing his books did for me is get me away from thinking of weight loss as simply calories in vs calories out, because thats not the whole picture.

You can disagree with it all if you want to, but the reality is, he's inspiring many others to question the currently assumed science, and cause many more medical studies to be done on diets in general.

The studies he reports are not his own, instead he has taken on a meta analysis of everything he could find, and reported on it. I think this is exactly what a science journalist is expected to do. Hopefully the medical community will continue to look further into exactly what has caused the obesity levels to grow within any population with a western diet. At McDonalds, is it the Burger, cheese and bacon? or is it the bun fries and 32oz coke...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss