U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM

807 posts, read 1,200,932 times
Default Anyone on Ideal Protein?

Ideal Protein is the name of this diet I've been reviewing and considering. it seems to focus on high protein drinks, produce, and meat, fish, seafood. No sugar, no carbs and lots of vegetables and salad.
If anyone has experienced Ideal Protein, please provide feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 PM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
Sounds like an intentional excess of protein, if you're having foods with lots of protein AND high protein shakes. If you're getting enough protein from foods, you shouldn't need to supplement it.

Furthermore, taking too much protein increases your risk of developing kidney stones by 250%.

Instead of trying yet another "take more than your body actually needs of this, and none of that" diet, why not just eat more sensibly, and include exercise in your daily regimen?

I just checked the website for your "Ideal Diet" and it turns out to be one of those "Weight Loss Centers" that (of course) recommend their own products. Their products sound kind of disgusting - soy crunch cereal flavored with powdered milk, just add water and some drops of their vanilla crap for extra tasty goodness.

Their breakfasts are almost entirely grain-based, so the "no carb" is probably a misunderstanding on your part. Ditto for the sugars - one of their things is maple oatmeal so unless it's artificial flavoring, it has sugar in it.

You'd be better off avoiding these kinds of diets like the plague. Any diet that requires overly processed "just add water" foods as the primary part of the meal, is going to ultimately be unhealthy. You might lose lots of weight, but it'll probably be due to you being too busy puking your brains out to gain any.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:44 PM

8,076 posts, read 5,371,908 times
If you want to try a low carb diet..............I HIGHLY suggest you DO NOT try a HIGH PROTEIN form of low carb. Too much protein is hard on the body and a WASTE. You see, when you eat more protein than your body can utilize for the purpose of repair and growth, it just get converted to fat and/or glucose.

Better to do a tried and true low carb diet.....something along the lines of Atkins.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 1,294,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you want to try a low carb diet..............I HIGHLY suggest you DO NOT try a HIGH PROTEIN form of low carb. Too much protein is hard on the body and a WASTE. You see, when you eat more protein than your body can utilize for the purpose of repair and growth, it just get converted to fat and/or glucose.

Better to do a tried and true low carb diet.....something along the lines of Atkins.
Please explain to me what enzymes the body would use for those two transfromations, I (and probably most of the chemistry-related scientific world) would be very interested in hearing how amino-acids magicly transform into glucose and and fat.

The diet sounds much like the regular low carb diet to me, with a fancy name on it. Meat, eggs, chicken and protein shakes, with veggies, yeah sounds pretty much like it. Depending on how much of each is taken the protein intake doesn't have to be super-high.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 AM

10,920 posts, read 9,539,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
The diet sounds much like the regular low carb diet to me, with a fancy name on it. Meat, eggs, chicken and protein shakes, with veggies, yeah sounds pretty much like it. Depending on how much of each is taken the protein intake doesn't have to be super-high.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:04 AM

14,141 posts, read 15,770,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

I eat quite a bit of protein relative to other things and haven't noticed it making me any fatter. What you're saying about excess protein probably just applies to excess calories in general, regardless the source.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM

807 posts, read 1,200,932 times
The packs of food from the diet contain about 17 or 18g of protein each. You're supposed to eat 3 per day, 4 if you are working out. Plus there is a protein meal (4-8oz) you would cook yourself at home...so for an overweight person it should be right around the appropriate amount of protein to consume per day. The packs of food do contain carbs, but otherwise it is encouraged not to eat pasta, rice, bread, etc. Just fresh vegeables and meats from the grocery store. Like other diets, it is also recommended to take multivitamins and at least 64oz of water per day. I've read some user reviews and it appears to be effective.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,212,685 times
Anon Chick,

Could you please reference where you learned that eating protein increases the chance of kidney stones by 250%? You throw that 'fact' into a lot of posts, so am wondering where you got it?

This is from Men's Health magazine, Dec. 2010:

Thanks.

High Protein is Harmful

Myth #1: "High protein intake is harmful to your kidneys."

The origin: Back in 1983, researchers first discovered that eating more protein increases your "glomerular filtration rate," or GFR. Think of GFR as the amount of blood your kidneys are filtering per minute. From this finding, many scientists made the leap that a higher GFR places your kidneys under greater stress.

What science really shows: Nearly 2 decades ago, Dutch researchers found that while a protein-rich meal did boost GFR, it didn't have an adverse effect on overall kidney function. In fact, there's zero published research showing that downing hefty amounts of protein—specifically, up to 1.27 grams per pound of body weight a day—damages healthy kidneys.

The bottom line: As a rule of thumb, shoot to eat your target body weight in grams of protein daily. For example, if you're a chubby 200 pounds and want to be a lean 180, then have 180 grams of protein a day. Likewise if you're a skinny 150 pounds but want to be a muscular 180.

Read more: High Protein is Harmful - The Truth Behind 5 Food Myths

Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 PM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
1. I didn't learn that eating protein increases the chance of kidney stones, nor did I make such a claim. I said eating *too much* protein increases the chance of *developing* kidney stones.
2. I also don't throw that fact into a lot of posts, and in "fact," I don't believe I've ever mentioned it at all before this thread.

Here's my source of information (note: this isn't some commercial magazine, it's actual medical research):
Johri, N; Cooper B, Robertson W, Choong S, Rickards D, Unwin R (2010). "An update and practical guide to renal stone management". Nephron Clinical Practice 116 (3): c159–71. doi:10.1159/000317196. PMID 20606476. An Update and Practical Guide to Renal Stone Management.

I also got this information from the National Kidney Foundation:
National Kidney Foundation: A to Z Health Guide Item

Note, that excessive protein does not -cause- kidney stones; rather, it increases your risk of developing them. Which - is what I said in the first place.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,770,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Note, that excessive protein does not -cause- kidney stones; rather, it increases your risk of developing them. Which - is what I said in the first place.
Isn't that a bit of semantic hair-splitting? That's like saying cigarettes don't cause lung cancer; rather they increase your risk of developing it. I don't understand the difference unless you're saying there's a correlation but no causation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss