Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,681,648 times

Advertisements

NO.

A knee injury can affect you for the rest of your life. Don't even risk it. If you want a higher calorie burn get a stationary bike with resistance. You can also do the HIIT method on a bike to shed fat. Its rough but oh man how it works. For your workouts getting boring you can break them up and its actually better for weight loss. So if your normal workout is 30 minutes. Do a 15er in the morning and a 15er before dinner.

Jogging is also bad for your breasts if you are top heavy. The right bra for large breasts and jogging is going to run you at least 60 bucks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM

83 posts, read 133,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
No. You need access to a pool. You will get a far better whole-body exercise session, that is virtually zero impact, and that will not get you overheated. And you need to be lifting weights. The benefits of Weightlifting are too many for me to enumerate right now. But it will help enormously with your weight control.
Agree 100%. +1

Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 PM

207 posts, read 534,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5991619 View Post
Agree 100%. +1
thanx

Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,149,244 times
Walking boring?? I powerwalk every single day, 7-12 miles at a very brisk fitness pace in Ridgewood, NJ ... I love it ... Then I finish up by jumping rope. 6 sets of 75 jumps ...

Walking is better on your legs/joints than running ... It enables me to keep my weight down, and I do a lot of my thinking/focusing/zoning while walking-

Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,738,034 times
Hey OP, good luck on whatever you decide. You could join a walking meetup too--there are many of them in the area where I live. There are stroll in the park meetups, nature hikes, and crazy sonabitch hikers and I did one of those last a few months ago and had a blast, though it was hard to keep up. It's a great way to meet people and there might even be a group tailor made for you.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,164,384 times
No to jogging! But a comfortable stroll isn't what you need either. Walk fast enough to elevate your pulse rate; that's all you need. It would be MUCH, MUCH better to walk briskly for 30 minutes than to jog for even half that time.

I have a bad ankle now (caused by nerve damage from a ruptured disk) and can't walk long distances, but before that happened I walked 50 to 60 miles each week -- 10 mile walks for 5 or 6 days. It was great exercise, and I had several different routes that I walked so it seldom got too boring, and if I was in a strange area it was even more interesting.

I do agree that swimming would be even better, but if you don't have easy access to a proper pool or feel uncomfortable going to one, walking is great exercise. Be sure to use a very good pair of walking or jogging shoes that fit correctly, and plan to replace them regularly.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 PM

22,605 posts, read 24,427,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
So far I have lost some weight from WW. But to me walking is somewhat boring. Do you think I should start out walking everyday for 45 minutes? Or should i just start jogging? I can jog up to only 5 minutes. I am 5'2 233.8

Uh............no. Running is hard on the body to start with, even if you are in good shape.

With your stats......stick to brisk walking and weight training.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,960,511 times
How about fast paced walking?

The faster you walk, the more calories you burn.

Then after you lose more weight and you feel more physically fit, you can advance to jogging.

The below website can show you how many calories you will use during various exercises. Just enter your weight and number of minutes you plan to exercise.

Calories Burned - Exercise Calculator

Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,573,026 times
It comes down to how strong you are in you thighs and surrounding muscles, in terms of how hard it will be on your knees, when I was 230 lbs I went over from jogging to hill intervall running...
It was this spring, and I had just gained 30~lbs after a surgery, and 3,5 months of total inactivity.
Then i jogged for 2 weeks, to get the cardio to be able to do the intervalls and then i went at the intervalls. So now I'm around 210 lbs, aiming for those 190...

Screw the docs they don't know crap, and the check-up for if you are fit to work out is usually a joke.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,960,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
It comes down to how strong you are in you thighs and surrounding muscles, in terms of how hard it will be on your knees, when I was 230 lbs I went over from jogging to hill intervall running...
It was this spring, and I had just gained 30~lbs after a surgery, and 3,5 months of total inactivity.
Then i jogged for 2 weeks, to get the cardio to be able to do the intervalls and then i went at the intervalls. So now I'm around 210 lbs, aiming for those 190...

Screw the docs they don't know crap, and the check-up for if you are fit to work out is usually a joke.
Not sure of your height, but she is only 5'2", so 230 on her knees may be much more stressful than on yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss