Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 AM

34 posts, read 77,256 times

Advertisements

I have seen it many times in comparison to lose weight women find it difficult to lose weight than men?
What are the problems that women face to reduce weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Hormones, anatomy, social pressure, motherhood, maternity, culture, the media.

It's "acceptable" for men to be a little pudgy. It isn't "acceptable" for women to be a little pudgy, and that sets them on the defensive from the very beginning.

Womens' hormones are totally different from mens' hormones. They hold onto fat differently, they let go of fat differently.

The media insists that women who aren't *skinny* are undesireable. Many woman who try to lose weight, don't need to lose weight. And if they don't need to lose it, they will find it harder to succeed.

Why do men find it difficult to not judge women by whether or not they can pinch an inch?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Men tend to have a much higher percentage of muscle on their bodies than women do. Women tend to have softer bodies and a naturally higher fat percentage than men do on average. Like Anon said, it's a hormonal thing.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times
I agree with Anon. Also keep in mind that it took us years/months to gain the weight. It's good to give ourselves the gift of time when it comes to losing it. Strict diets often fail. Who can live with what feels like deprivation?

Cutting back in subtle ways often is key to meeting weight goals. One less piece of candy, cake, pastry, soda, shaving a quarter off our portion sizes...slow and easy equals a lot over time--and is sustainable.

My weight has stabilized to a range I can live with (size 8-10) since I stopped drinking sugary drinks (soda, canned/bottled fruit juice, energy drinks) and have made two meals a day vegetarian...and cut way back on my love of bread. And joined the gym--and go 5x a week.

Not hungry, and at a healthy weight seems magical--but is do-able.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Its not more difficult for women to lose weight then men, put a men and a women on a similar diet and they will be similar weights. Though women do naturally carry more body fat.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
Honestly I have never found it difficult to lose weight once I was determined to do so.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times
less muscle mass.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,491 times
1)Encouraging women to lose weight who are actually in a healthy body weight range is incredibly difficult because your body wants to hold on to enough fat to be able to reproduce. I'd bet there are quite a few women whose first experiences with trying to lose weight were when they were in a healthy weight range. These sorts of experiences set the stage for a lifetime of difficulty for many, I think.

2)A petite woman who has sendentary doesn't need very many calories to get by compared to say an athletic guy in his twenties who is over six feet tall. So if you are intuitively in tune with what your body needs, things like restaurants meals, and eating with someone who can handle a lot of calories can throw a woman's sense of what she should eat. off. I had a friend who was short and didn't exercise much. Mostly she maintained her weight well. When I was younger I never really understood why she ate so little until. It didn't click with me that just being taller and more active allowed me to eat quite a bit more.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybishop View Post
I have seen it many times in comparison to lose weight women find it difficult to lose weight than men?
Is this supposed to be a question, or is it a statement? It it is a statement then this might be true and it might not be. I wish you had provided some data so we don't try to explain something that might not be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybishop View Post
What are the problems that women face to reduce weight?
They like the taste of food.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
1)Encouraging women to lose weight who are actually in a healthy body weight range is incredibly difficult because your body wants to hold on to enough fat to be able to reproduce. I'd bet there are quite a few women whose first experiences with trying to lose weight were when they were in a healthy weight range. These sorts of experiences set the stage for a lifetime of difficulty for many, I think

Encouraging mento lose weight who are actually in a healthy body weight range is incredibly difficult because your body wants to hold on to enough fat to be able to reproduce. I'd bet there are quite a few men whose first experiences with trying to lose weight were when they were in a healthy weight range. These sorts of experiences set the stage for a lifetime of difficulty for many, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss