Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxedoutbrattpower View Post
People are fat because they eat too much and too frequently:

How Much Protein - Carbs, Protein and Insulin - YouTube
Well you're half right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. It isn't a "food additive". It's a sweetener, just like cane and beet sugar, honey, maply syrup, saccharine, splenda, stevia, and whatever else is the latest trend, are sweeteners. It doesn't slow or shut off the "full" response any more than a piece of steak slows or shuts off the "full" response. It has less nutrition than a piece of steak, but if you are eating healthy and paying attention to what you shovel in your mouth, then it won't matter if it slows your "full response" faster than something else or not. You know if you eat a piece of steak with steak sauce, and a small salad, and a tall glass of lemon water, you will have consumed exactly the same amount of food whether or not the steak sauce had brown sugar or HFCS in it.

2. The whole country is not sick or obese.

So - again - this is faulty logic, resulting in an untrue statement.

Corn syrup is a sweetener. It's calories and carbs with little nutritional value, just like sugar is calories and carbs with little nutritional value. It has a similar sweetness rank to sugar, and it is used similarly to sugar in sweetening things. It is also stable, which means it can be used cheaply and easily in canned and prepared goods.

If you're looking for something that isn't so nutritionally vacant, then I'd recommend cooking from scratch, reading labels more carefully, or just avoiding anything pre-made, frozen, or canned. People who need to avoid corn syrup -also- need to avoid sugar and fruit. If you don't need to avoid sugar and fruit, then you don't need to avoid corn syrup.

Regardless of -which- you're consuming, it's not a good idea to eat too much of it. Sugar, fruit, or corn syrup. If all these foods were made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, there would STILL be an obesity problem. The problem isn't that people are consuming corn syrup. The problem is that people are consuming too much, period.
I personally do not have a problem with fruit sugars and white can sugar. But the corn sugar does not do the same thing as steak when it comes to how it affects the hunger hormones and blood sugar level. And fruit sugar vs. white sugar or corn syrup also do not affect the blood sugar levels the same way.

I beg to differ on the country not being sick or obese though. Its almost up to 20% for kids. There wasn't even a fat kid in my class when I was in school. And its no less than 20% in every single state for adults being obese. The total being 1/3 for the country. That doesn't cover the overweight who are also being affected by the excess. 1/3 is high enough.

I agree that people are consuming too much period. But if you take the way the food is now engineered to make the consumer eat more before their own body lets them know its enough...I don't think you understand. You will still be hungry after you eat that sugar DESPITE having taken in enough calories. So with artificial food you can not eat right unless you do know what you are doing. And no one really cares about that until weight or health becomes a problem.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I personally do not have a problem with fruit sugars and white can sugar. But the corn sugar does not do the same thing as steak when it comes to how it affects the hunger hormones and blood sugar level. And fruit sugar vs. white sugar or corn syrup also do not affect the blood sugar levels the same way.

I beg to differ on the country not being sick or obese though. Its almost up to 20% for kids. There wasn't even a fat kid in my class when I was in school. And its no less than 20% in every single state for adults being obese. The total being 1/3 for the country. That doesn't cover the overweight who are also being affected by the excess. 1/3 is high enough.

I agree that people are consuming too much period. But if you take the way the food is now engineered to make the consumer eat more before their own body lets them know its enough...I don't think you understand. You will still be hungry after you eat that sugar DESPITE having taken in enough calories. So with artificial food you can not eat right unless you do know what you are doing. And no one really cares about that until weight or health becomes a problem.
Comparing HCFS and steak really makes no sense.

A critical examination of the evidenc... [Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

"Based on the currently available evidence, the expert panel concluded that HFCS does not appear to contribute to overweight and obesity any differently than do other energy sources."

Sugars and satiety: does the type of sweetener make a difference?

"Conclusion: There was no evidence that commercial cola beverages sweetened with either sucrose or HFCS have significantly different effects on hunger, satiety, or short-term energy intakes."

So your statement that foods are engineered to make us eat more is really not true.

Foods are engineered to make them taste better, and we may eat more because it tastes good, not because the food itself made us hungry. Sure, food manufacturers want to sell more of their products. They have to have better tasting products to compete in their markets. And they also have to keep prices down, so they use HCFS because it's cheaper.

So what matters is how much table sugar or HCFS you consume. And that is what will determine whether you gain weight or not.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The steak reference was mine, Suzy. It is a nit that Opsimathia chose to pick among the paragraphs of my post:

Quote:
It [corn syrup] doesn't slow or shut off the "full" response any more than a piece of steak slows or shuts off the "full" response.
The point being, your "full response" is triggered when you're full, unless you have something -wrong- with your body, such as Prader-Willi syndrome (a genetic disorder which causes the patient to experience the sensation of severe starvation, all the time, no matter how much he has eaten. It usually results in morbid obesity - a person suffering from this could literally die of overfeeding). There are less severe causes of the sensation of hunger, including plain old fashioned gas. However, most relatively intelligent people know that if they've eaten a big meal, they're probably full even if they have a gas bubble exploding in their tummies.

Last edited by AnonChick; 09-06-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxedoutbrattpower View Post
No, 100% right.
Ok. Explain to us...using real science...why a higher meal frequency would contribute to obesity when compared to a diet with less frequency but the same amount of calories.

I'll be awaiting your answer.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
The steak reference was mine, Suzy. It is a nit that Opsimathia chose to pick among the paragraphs of my post:

The point being, your "full response" is triggered when you're full, unless you have something -wrong- with your body, such as Prader-Willi syndrome (a genetic disorder which causes the patient to experience the sensation of severe starvation, all the time, no matter how much he has eaten. It usually results in morbid obesity - a person suffering from this could literally die of overfeeding). There are less severe causes of the sensation of hunger, including plain old fashioned gas. However, most relatively intelligent people know that if they've eaten a big meal, they're probably full even if they have a gas bubble exploding in their tummies.
It mimics something like that. Sugar, salt and refined flours all over stimulate the appetite.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 AM

The "appetite" is a mind thing. Fullness is a stomach thing. I have an appetite that would let me eat a whole small bacon pizza, every single time I order one. I love bacon pizza. My mind constantly tells me, "have another slice! Eat MOAR PIZZA!"

But my stomach reminds me, "you really don't need the last three - put them in the fridge for tomorrow." My stomach says, "there's more than enough in here and we might asplode if you try stuffing another piece in."

Usually I listen - with sadness - to my stomach. Once in awhile, I listen - with great regret an hour later - to my mind.

My body knows it's full. My mind doesn't care that my body knows it's full. My mind LIKES pizza. My body accepts the fuel and processes it, and doesn't care whether it's a pleasing substance or not.

And my combined whole self, being of reasonable intelligence and maturity, knows the difference between a hungry belly and a demanding appetite.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Okay, it's clear, IMHO:

--larger portion sizes of food and soft drinks
--less exercise
--more high calorie "snack" foods
--HFCS added to everything

We're an overweight population with rampant diabetes and heart conditions. Now, what do we do about it?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Okay, it's clear, IMHO:

--larger portion sizes of food and soft drinks
--less exercise
--more high calorie "snack" foods
--HFCS added to everything

We're an overweight population with rampant diabetes and heart conditions. Now, what do we do about it?
Eat less, exercise more.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Quote:
Eat less, exercise more.
Well, yes, but that doesn't seem to be working too well...obesity keeps growing...there's gotta be something intrinsically wrong with us if we know what to do but most cannot seem to do it. It's worrisome, especially when I see the poor kids, so many overweight at such a young age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss