Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

I had noticed that my everyday dinner plates, bought in the late 1970s, are bigger than some china we inherited from my husband's grandmother. The china was made in Europe and is almost 100 years old. The plates are 9.5 inches in diameter. The 1970s plates are 10.5 inches in diameter, which gives you room for 21% more food!

A little time with google found this:

Dinner Plates: Size Matters! | SocialDieter

Some of our local restaurants use serving plates the size of a turkey platter! I routinely get 2 to 4 meals out of what is served at those places!

So it may not be the HFCS in food making you eat more. You may just need to eat from a smaller plate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Well, yes, but that doesn't seem to be working too well...obesity keeps growing...there's gotta be something intrinsically wrong with us if we know what to do but most cannot seem to do it. It's worrisome, especially when I see the poor kids, so many overweight at such a young age.
With kids, the biggest problem is lack of exercise. Too much TV, computer, and video game time.

Add too many fatty, sugary snacks and drinks, often consumed in front of the TV or while using the computer or playing the computer game, and there you are. But the same thing will happen whether the sugar in the drink is HFCS or cane sugar. If you eat out, you can drink endless amounts of sugar sweetened beverages with free refills. With an attentive waitperson constantly refilling your glass, at the end of the meal you do not even know how much of the beverage you have consumed. The type of sugar just doesn't matter. How much sugar does.

When I was growing up, there were only 3 TV channels. I watched maybe 30 minutes of TV a day. I played outdoors after school or on weekends. OK, I read a lot of books, too, but I did exercise! I ate three meals a day and had an occasional snack --- usually two cookies. Mama made meals from scratch, and second helpings (of Southern food, including fried chicken --- but she only cooked one chicken for four people!) were acceptable. We drank iced tea sweetened with sugar. Mama also made scrumptious homemade desserts. But she did not keep a lot of junk food and soft drinks in the house. We had a Coke (the ones in the small green bottles --- and only one!) if she made hot dogs or hamburgers. If we were playing and got hot and thirsty, we drank water from a pitcher kept in the fridge.

I look at pictures of myself and my cousins and we were skinny compared to today's kids.

Looking back, I know we ate smaller portions. And we moved more.

Today, kids snack all day long and eat meals. They move a lot less.

Educating people to eat less and move more is difficult. But HFCS is not the problem.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The "appetite" is a mind thing. Fullness is a stomach thing. I have an appetite that would let me eat a whole small bacon pizza, every single time I order one. I love bacon pizza. My mind constantly tells me, "have another slice! Eat MOAR PIZZA!"

But my stomach reminds me, "you really don't need the last three - put them in the fridge for tomorrow." My stomach says, "there's more than enough in here and we might asplode if you try stuffing another piece in."

Usually I listen - with sadness - to my stomach. Once in awhile, I listen - with great regret an hour later - to my mind.

My body knows it's full. My mind doesn't care that my body knows it's full. My mind LIKES pizza. My body accepts the fuel and processes it, and doesn't care whether it's a pleasing substance or not.

And my combined whole self, being of reasonable intelligence and maturity, knows the difference between a hungry belly and a demanding appetite.
Its a lot more complex than that. The hormones that give that full feeling are affected controlling the mind and stomach sensation. So you can't trust your natural feelings that kept you in line with what full really is.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Its a lot more complex than that. The hormones that give that full feeling are affected controlling the mind and stomach sensation. So you can't trust your natural feelings that kept you in line with what full really is.
Actually, I can trust them. I can trust them because I'm the one who just consumed the pizza. I trust that I KNOW when I'm really full, and when I'm just really *desiring* (as opposed to needing) another slice of pizza. You don't need to have any feelings at all, to know that your stomach is around the size of your fist, and eating more than what will fit in it without it stretching, is eating more than you need.

You CAN eat more..and in most cases, eating more won't hurt you. However, it really doesn't matter because you are the one shoving the food down your throat. If you don't KNOW that what you're eating is more than your stomach requires, then it's not hormones. It's lack of intelligence.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxedoutbrattpower View Post
Eat less often, exercise intensely, eat real foods not junk. Don't snack.
Snacks are fine if they're healthful (nuts, fruit, veggies, cheese) and added into a controlled number of calories you allow yourself.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:10 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually, I can trust them. I can trust them because I'm the one who just consumed the pizza. I trust that I KNOW when I'm really full, and when I'm just really *desiring* (as opposed to needing) another slice of pizza. You don't need to have any feelings at all, to know that your stomach is around the size of your fist, and eating more than what will fit in it without it stretching, is eating more than you need.

You CAN eat more..and in most cases, eating more won't hurt you. However, it really doesn't matter because you are the one shoving the food down your throat. If you don't KNOW that what you're eating is more than your stomach requires, then it's not hormones. It's lack of intelligence.
Well an apple is the size of my fist. But its not enough calories for a meal even at around 115lbs. A fist size amount of beef would be too much.(about 700 cals @ 9 oz) Or if it was cheese pizza vs. sausage. Relatively the same volume but way more calories and fat on the sausage! And if the crust is thicker or brushed with oil...adds more calories without a lot of volume.

Hormones do affect your full sensation despite if you are educated or not. I am just explaining to you why people can't trust their gut if they eat a lot of that type of processed food. Hormones do cause hunger and satiety. In some obese bodies it is broken too so they have to know logically what they can have and ignore normal sensations that other may get.

How they affect your appetite and your weight

Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Well an apple is the size of my fist. But its not enough calories for a meal even at around 115lbs. A fist size amount of beef would be too much.(about 700 cals @ 9 oz) Or if it was cheese pizza vs. sausage. Relatively the same volume but way more calories and fat on the sausage! And if the crust is thicker or brushed with oil...adds more calories without a lot of volume.

Hormones do affect your full sensation despite if you are educated or not. I am just explaining to you why people can't trust their gut if they eat a lot of that type of processed food. Hormones do cause hunger and satiety. In some obese bodies it is broken too so they have to know logically what they can have and ignore normal sensations that other may get.

How they affect your appetite and your weight

The issue is not whether these hormones are involved in appetite but whether food additives, specifically HFCS, alter them to increase appetite.

This study suggests not:

Effects of high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose co... [Nutrition. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

and here:

High-fructose corn syrup, energy intake, and appetite regulation

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-08-2011 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
yes. thats why WW has two approaches - one is tracking - counting calories more or less. The other is based on purely on feeling full - but on that approach, you CANNOT eat whatever you way - you are confined to fruits, veggies, lean proteins, low fat dairy, and whole grains. Cause if you eat VERY calorie dense fools, eating to satiety won't assure weight loss. I am beginning to skimp on tracking (esp at the end of my tracking week) and rely on feelings of fullness, but that only works cause for 9 months ive gotten used to a different mix of foods than I used to eat.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Ok. Explain to us...using real science...why a higher meal frequency would contribute to obesity when compared to a diet with less frequency but the same amount of calories.

I'll be awaiting your answer.
You'll be waiting a long time - He won't be able to.

Sure, insulin spikes after almost ANY intake of food. The real question should be what is your blood glucose level, as more frequent meals have been shown to result in more stable blood sugar levels. That is related to your perceived energy level and also impact your desire to eat more.

The best thing I've done within the past year is to be really consistent in eating 5-6 small "meals" per day.

Last edited by roneb; 09-08-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I had noticed that my everyday dinner plates, bought in the late 1970s, are bigger than some china we inherited from my husband's grandmother. The china was made in Europe and is almost 100 years old. The plates are 9.5 inches in diameter. The 1970s plates are 10.5 inches in diameter, which gives you room for 21% more food!

A little time with google found this:

Dinner Plates: Size Matters! | SocialDieter

Some of our local restaurants use serving plates the size of a turkey platter! I routinely get 2 to 4 meals out of what is served at those places!

So it may not be the HFCS in food making you eat more. You may just need to eat from a smaller plate!
Thanks for posting the link! It does a nice job summarizing some studies that have been known/presented in health and nutrition workshops for awhile now. I'm glad to see someone else who knows about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss