Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,157,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Moderator cut: quote deleted because of language

True. Man how irritating it is to hear people go on and on and on with their excuses as to why they are overweght: "My mom buys only fattening food", "It easier to go to the drive-thru", "Oooooh, I just love chocolate", "I have to have my diet coke", "blah blah blah blah as to why I willl forwever be fat".

It really is that easy unless you are battling some disease, to just lay off of the sugar and the fattening food. Just lay off.

It's addiction, and with addiction, you just have to go cold turkey, and "sweat it out". It's not any different to detoxing from drugs or alcohol--the DT's might not be as severe, but once you're over the bad part, the really hard part begins--staying off it. The hardest part of THAT is that you HAVE to eat to live--whereas you don't HAVE to drink or shoot up or snort or whatever to live. AND so much of society is built around food. Holidays, happy times, sad times, parties, BBQ's, sporting events, social events--everything seems to revolve around food!

Yes, I agree, you just have to lay off. Some of us have to lay off forever, not a while, not a little bit.....forever. Once an addict, always an addict. It's your choice whether you're relapsed or recovering.

I disagree that eat less, move more is enough for many people. For some yes, for others, many others, no. Too many other factors at play. If eat less, move more worked for me, I'd have lost all my excess weight years ago. I've only recently (last 7 or so months) hit the 26's on BMI, and to get there I had to go a fair bit more drastic than calories in, calories out. But, after 30 odd years of dieting, I reckon I wrecked my inbuilt systems, so nothing short of drastic was going to help. Save the lectures and the could have should haves --I did them all. And just got fatter and fatter in the process.

anyway, yes, lay off the sugar. Even if you don't lose weight, you'll likely reduce your over all inflamation, lower your blood sugar and more imporatantly you're elevated insulin levels (all 3 of which make you feel like $h!t), and lessen your risk of cardivascular disease, kidney disease, liver disease, blindness and Lord knows what else. Sugar can be some bad stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
I know this is really hoakey sounding, and totally unscientific. But I caught a few episodes of Ruby last year, and she said something that's very appropriate to this topic. She was at a party, and people were trying to get her to have "just a taste" of this or that or the other thing. They weren't "enablers" so much as they really didn't understand what she was going through. And she said that she has a -deadly- allergy to cheesecake, and pecan pie, and fried chicken, and all the other things she has to completely eliminate from her diet because of her overeating addiction problem.

She said if she thought of her problem as a deadly allergy that will kill her, she can handle not eating the things better. She missed eating these foods terribly and wanted SO much to have "just a taste." But she knew if she had "just a taste" it wouldn't stop there. She'd have just a taste, and since she already did that, she might as well have "just another nibble." And then "just a smidge." And just like an alcoholic, she'd be off the wagon, eating two whole fried chickens, half a pecan pie, a plate of chocolate cupcakes, etc. etc. like she used to do.

And just like many addicts have to accept, is that "just a little will never be enough." You can have none, or you can have enough to kill you. Those are the options when you are an overeater, or a drug addict, or an alcoholic.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:39 PM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Default Just a bite

Leftovers? Little Bites Count... A LOT: Quickie in the Kitchen w/ Laurel House - YouTube

Mindless snacking at work can add up big time : The Work Buzz

Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,012,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxedoutbrattpower View Post
Let's listen to Gary Taubes debate Dr. Oz on the exercise thingie:

Web Exclusive: Dr. Oz and Gary Taubes Debate Exercise | The Dr. Oz Show

Exercise and movement without question is rooted in ancient tribal culture and the need to physically hunt for food, cultivate the land, build things, defend against enemies etc. This is the basis in which the whole thing metabolically rooted.

Moderator cut: no copyrighted images allowed
Awesome! We get to watch a quack TV doctor and an engineer with no medical education have a debate. Well, at least Dr. Oz managed to get this one right.

Also, I'd never actually seen Taubes before this. Dude is one smug ass *****. Had he acted like that (and flat out lied) on my show, I would have back handed him.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,784,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I know this is really hoakey sounding, and totally unscientific. But I caught a few episodes of Ruby last year, and she said something that's very appropriate to this topic. She was at a party, and people were trying to get her to have "just a taste" of this or that or the other thing. They weren't "enablers" so much as they really didn't understand what she was going through. And she said that she has a -deadly- allergy to cheesecake, and pecan pie, and fried chicken, and all the other things she has to completely eliminate from her diet because of her overeating addiction problem.

She said if she thought of her problem as a deadly allergy that will kill her, she can handle not eating the things better. She missed eating these foods terribly and wanted SO much to have "just a taste." But she knew if she had "just a taste" it wouldn't stop there. She'd have just a taste, and since she already did that, she might as well have "just another nibble." And then "just a smidge." And just like an alcoholic, she'd be off the wagon, eating two whole fried chickens, half a pecan pie, a plate of chocolate cupcakes, etc. etc. like she used to do.

And just like many addicts have to accept, is that "just a little will never be enough." You can have none, or you can have enough to kill you. Those are the options when you are an overeater, or a drug addict, or an alcoholic.
I <3 Ruby! I really hope her show comes back this year. There is fact behind it too. Anyone who can go from over 700lbs to the 320's with diet and excercise (along with some therapy and OA) is pretty impressive. She is very inspirational to many.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,486,042 times
Sugar will really drive my appetite. But, even if I eat a low carb diet and not ENOUGH fat......well, I end up getting really hungry. Too much protein and I start feeling nauseated after about a week.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,784,490 times
tickyul-its funny how you say "Sugar will really drive my appetite". For some reason its like that with me and sweet tea. When I drink sweet tea, I am thirstier. However if I drink unsweet, not as thirsty. The sugar/sweetner makes me crave more.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 PM

192 posts, read 249,524 times
It's a mistake to malign fruit - it's not fruit's fault that humans refine corn fructose, remove all the filling fiber, add a bunch of fat, then stuff our face, not getting a full signal.

* Fruit is low on the glycemic index
* There's no fat frugivores (I"m one)

There's an anti-fruit movement based on half-truths, cherry-picking-unscientific studies.... all to sell new diet books. The propaganda is all over TV: (diet commercials, CNN filler...)

....and people get fatter and sicker.

Meanwhile, there are thin, healthy people who eat fruit and avoid fast-food and junk.

Fruit is only bad IF your diet is high in fat AND carbs: fat blocks carbs and insulin from leaving the blood......and the pancreas keeps making insulin. THAT's the problem.
===================================

These experts are pro-fruit:

Dr. Benjamin Spock, M.D.
Dr. Dean Ornish
Dr. Doug Graham
Neal Barnard, M.D.
Michael Klaper, M.D.
John A. McDougall, M.D

* The other primates eat mostly fruit. We are Fruigivores. And the 80/10/10 diet shows the best way to do it.

The 80/10/10 diet community (we eat 15-30 fruits a day) just put on a 7 day festival. Here's a pic (worth a 1000 words)

Here's some pics of muscular 80/10/10rs (811'rs)
80 10 10 Gladiators!
80 10 10 HCRV Gladiators!!! - 30 Bananas a Day!

Fruit for the WIN !

Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,486,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
tickyul-its funny how you say "Sugar will really drive my appetite". For some reason its like that with me and sweet tea. When I drink sweet tea, I am thirstier. However if I drink unsweet, not as thirsty. The sugar/sweetner makes me crave more.
You are probably insulin resistant like me and many others. The macronutrient that DRIVES an insulin response the hardest is Carbohydrates.....some being worse than others.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
There's an anti-fruit movement based on half-truths, cherry-picking-unscientific studies.... all to sell new diet books. The propaganda is all over TV: (diet commercials, CNN filler...)
Actually, Atkins has no problem with fruit particularly in the later steps of the program. It's actually a good thing to add back in as you increase your carbs during ongoing weight loss and into maintenance. He does not advocate juice however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss