Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Also how many carbs is a person suppose to have in a day? If I eat the whole grain oatmeal and the low carb tortilla and yogurt, I am already at about 40.
40 isn't too bad. In Atkins induction (first 2 harcore weeks) they recommend 20 but to put it in perspective, the average American eats over 200 so you're at the low end. You'll probably be able to lose at that level. Stay away from artificial sweeteners and alcohol as they can inhibit weight loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post

Morning cardio on empty stomach, eat your meal 1 hour after.

If cardio is mid morning, determine if you are running out of need energy in that cardio. If you are feeling out of energy, have a small amount of carb (calorie wise, about half of what you think you'll burn in the exercise) 1 hour prior to the cardio.

For non-workout days, try to cut out un-needed carbs.

One good way is to have "healthier alternate" food available. So if I crave ice cream on Sunday--maybe blueberries and light yogurt can satisfy me. Less carb and sugar, but better for my sanity and control.
Ok, so I should do my walk/run on an empty stomach? I do it in the morning and if I don't have something in my stomach I get "light headed". I usually eat my oatmeal before I do the cardio.

I love ice cream but decided I will either eat one of those "skinney cow" sugar free ice creams or I found this coconut cream fruit bar by dreyers that seems to be pretty healthy. Low sugar etc. I crave ice cream every day, not just Sunday ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
You can still eat popcorn and pasta, you just need to eat the right ones. I have this popcorn that comes in a 100 calorie serving-sized bag and I only eat Dreamfield pasta, which is made for diabetics. Popcorn (like the one I mentioned, not the super buttery ginornmous serving sized bags) is actually one of the few snacks that were recommended to me by my bariatric surgeon and if he likes it, there's no way in hell it can be bad for you..

With the changes mentioned, I can see at least the first 5-8 pounds coming off pretty quick. The last 7-10 will probably require you to step up the exercise, though. Just go slow and steady and don't get upset if things don't go quite as fast as you want. It definitely gets slower and harder as we get older..
Can you buy that dreamfield pasta in most grocery stores? I have tried the small bags of popcorn wiht 100 calories...they are pretty good.

I weighed myself this morning, after being on it 4 days and I lost one pound so hopefully it will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
40 isn't too bad. In Atkins induction (first 2 harcore weeks) they recommend 20 but to put it in perspective, the average American eats over 200 so you're at the low end. You'll probably be able to lose at that level. Stay away from artificial sweeteners and alcohol as they can inhibit weight loss.
Wow only 20, I don't think I could ever do that. The oatmeal alone is 17. 45 seems to be about my average for carbs.
I stopped drinking crystal lite and only use Stevia to sweeten now and I don't drink so that isn't a problem. I have also cut out any candy or chocolate.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Ok, so I should do my walk/run on an empty stomach? I do it in the morning and if I don't have something in my stomach I get "light headed". I usually eat my oatmeal before I do the cardio.

I love ice cream but decided I will either eat one of those "skinney cow" sugar free ice creams or I found this coconut cream fruit bar by dreyers that seems to be pretty healthy. Low sugar etc. I crave ice cream every day, not just Sunday ...

Can you buy that dreamfield pasta in most grocery stores? I have tried the small bags of popcorn wiht 100 calories...they are pretty good.

I weighed myself this morning, after being on it 4 days and I lost one pound so hopefully it will continue.

Wow only 20, I don't think I could ever do that. The oatmeal alone is 17. 45 seems to be about my average for carbs.
I stopped drinking crystal lite and only use Stevia to sweeten now and I don't drink so that isn't a problem. I have also cut out any candy or chocolate.
Actually if you're going to eat a bunch of carbs at one sitting, like the oatmeal, the best time to do it is before you do your cardio, so keep doing that. There's no point in exercising hungry.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
It's not that difficult to severely cut down on carbs. Just remember to only count the net and not the whole. High fiber is the easiest way to do that. Try following a diabetic diet plan if you need additional help.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM

42 posts, read 143,739 times
The key item in Chickrae's starting post is that she i giving up sweets. Give up the refined sugars (basically most if not all processed foods) and the fat melts away. No need to "diet". Eat as much as you want of naturally occurring fruits, veggies, meats, and dairy. Once you give up the refined foods, you will soon find that you are not as hungry and don't need to eat as much. At the end of the day, your total calorie intake for the day will be less that when you were eating refined foods. And you will gain alot of energy. No feeling of lethargy during the day. I know from personal experience. I've lost 24 lbs in a little over 2 months How Do I Lose Belly Fat? | Life With Dickie

Old 09-17-2011, 03:47 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babui View Post
The key item in Chickrae's starting post is that she i giving up sweets. Give up the refined sugars (basically most if not all processed foods) and the fat melts away. No need to "diet". Eat as much as you want of naturally occurring fruits, veggies, meats, and dairy. Once you give up the refined foods, you will soon find that you are not as hungry and don't need to eat as much. At the end of the day, your total calorie intake for the day will be less that when you were eating refined foods. And you will gain alot of energy. No feeling of lethargy during the day. I know from personal experience. I've lost 24 lbs in a little over 2 months How Do I Lose Belly Fat? | Life With Dickie

also get rid of Crystal Light and drink only water. Or brew some green tea without sugar or sweetner. Once your tastebuds get used to not having sugar or sweetness..you won't crave it.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:06 AM

42 posts, read 143,739 times
Good point. I must admit that I had a hard time giving up my two teaspoons of sugar in my Dunkin Donuts coffee (twice a day). After 3 days of trying coffee without sugar, I gave in and started using stevia. It hasn't affected my weight loss.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It's not that difficult to severely cut down on carbs. Just remember to only count the net and not the whole. High fiber is the easiest way to do that.
Can you explain how you count the two? Do you subtract the fiber from the whole amount to get the net?

Quote:
The key item in Chickrae's starting post is that she i giving up sweets. Give up the refined sugars (basically most if not all processed foods) and the fat melts away.
This was probably the hardest thing for me to give up also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
also get rid of Crystal Light and drink only water. Or brew some green tea without sugar or sweetner. Once your tastebuds get used to not having sugar or sweetness..you won't crave it.
I agree, after this first week of no sweets I haven't even craved candy or cookies all week.

Quote:
Good point. I must admit that I had a hard time giving up my two teaspoons of sugar in my Dunkin Donuts coffee (twice a day). After 3 days of trying coffee without sugar, I gave in and started using stevia. It hasn't affected my weight loss.
I like the taste of stevia in my oatmeal and in the no calorie drink mix I mix up. It gives it a sweet flavor but not too sweet like the crystal lite was. I have totally stopped buying any crystal lite.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
One heaped teaspoon of sugar has 25 calories. So 4 of these a day is 100 calories. Not a lot.

Still good to get rid of it, but that should explain why it hasn't changed your weight so far. 100 calories per weekday = 500 calories per week = 26,000 calories per year = 7 lbs per year (3500 calories per lb of body weight).

Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
One heaped teaspoon of sugar has 25 calories. So 4 of these a day is 100 calories. Not a lot.

Still good to get rid of it, but that should explain why it hasn't changed your weight so far. 100 calories per weekday = 500 calories per week = 26,000 calories per year = 7 lbs per year (3500 calories per lb of body weight)
Oh wow that makes me feel fat lol. It's hard to completely get rid of all sugar as so many things have some in it. But I have reduced it greatly this past week and I will continue to do so.

I weighed myself this morning. I am only down a pound and a half from last Monday, but that's something I guess. I did my run/walk 40 minutes 3 times last week. Went on a six mile bike ride one day (strenuous I might add) and then a 4 mile bike ride this morning. NOw I just need to work in some strength training at home.

Last edited by Chickrae; 09-19-2011 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss