Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

I want to keep glycemic index & thus bld sugar down. Is it best to eat dry pasta (whole wheat) vs cooked pasta w/ higher glycemic load, raw yams/sweet potatoes & raw red potatoes (shown to reduce hypertension?) or better yet, Russet potatoes?, etc? I'm lost as to how best to reduce insulin spikes after eating these type foods other than just not eating them.

I'm thinking of doing the Paleo diet & then would need to drop ALL these, yes? Thanks for any advice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
No, none of them are good. I could do the work for you, but I don't feel like it right now. Google "eat raw potato", "eat raw sweet potato", "eat uncooked pasta".

You said, "I'm thinking of doing the trypsin inhibitors..."

You have looked into this. Why are you considering eating raw potatoes or uncooked pasta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I want to keep glycemic index & thus bld sugar down. Is it best to eat dry pasta (whole wheat) vs cooked pasta w/ higher glycemic load, raw yams/sweet potatoes & raw red potatoes (shown to reduce hypertension?) or better yet, Russet potatoes?, etc? I'm lost as to how best to reduce insulin spikes after eating these type foods other than just not eating them.

I'm thinking of doing the trypsin inhibitors & then would need to drop ALL these, yes? Thanks for any advice here.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, none of them are good. I could do the work for you, but I don't feel like it right now. Google "eat raw potato", "eat raw sweet potato", "eat uncooked pasta".

You said, "I'm thinking of doing the trypsin inhibitors..."

You have looked into this. Why are you considering eating raw potatoes or uncooked pasta?
Hi, I'm even more lost now. Haha.

My quote was "thinking of PALEO diet"... "not TRYPSIN inhibitors". How'd that change from my PALEO quote to that one, hmmm?

Ok, please let me know why/what is that not ok to eat any starches -- no matter how cooked? Thanks.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
A raw potato's probably going to give you a pretty bad stomach ache.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:50 PM

7 posts, read 11,496 times
***! How can you even think of eating raw potatoes and pastas.

None of them are good even if you want to put your insulin level low.

Its better to go with the advise of your doctor.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

I'm thinking of doing the Paleo diet & then would need to drop ALL these, yes? Thanks for any advice here.
These foods generally aren't very appealing raw. There is a really easy way to reduce the glycemic load of these foods. The best thing to do is to use portion size. So let's say you generally eat 1 cup of rice or pasta. Change your serving size to 1/2 cup and then add 1 cup of veggies to replace the starch.

You'll eat a lot less of the starchy food and decrease the glycemic load with both a smaller portion and the increased fiber you are eating.

Let's go back to the pasta example. Let's say you take your 1/2 cup of pasta, then add 1/2 cup of marinara sauce and then another 1/2 of broccoli to the plate. This will look like more food and add an extra serving og veggies.

If you are eating rice, pair it with a stir-fried veggies. Or make a rice pilaf with lentils, tomatoes and onions in addition to the white rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss