Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,692,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
yes in fact that was the first thing i did. totally cut carbs down, sugars, beers, saturated fats. and jogged like 5 days per week. i was in decent shape then without even taking Lovasa. i should also had that i am not even the slightest bit fat. im actually pretty thin. but i'll be honest that diet was friggin hard. im italian and grew up eating alot of carbs, pastas and whatnot. and i love beer. sorry i just wont give it up completely. lately i just havent been able to exercise as much. maybe 2x per week.
Bummer that didn't work. It worked for my father too. But while he was in the process at first they went up. I don't know why. You do need to get in 30 minutes of activity every day. Walking will do if you can't or won't jog. He also focused on fiber intake. He was fat at the time and with the exercise he lost a few. So weight could have been contributing to it.

Try eating oatmeal for breakfast and eating more healthy fats:
Dietary fats: Know which types to choose - MayoClinic.com
NHLBI, High Blood Cholesterol: What You Need to Know

Have you been screened for other health problems?:
High Cholesterol-Cause
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,531,600 times
Quote:
yes in fact that was the first thing i did. totally cut carbs down, sugars, beers, saturated fats. and jogged like 5 days per week. i was in decent shape then without even taking Lovasa. i should also had that i am not even the slightest bit fat. im actually pretty thin. but i'll be honest that diet was friggin hard. im italian and grew up eating alot of carbs, pastas and whatnot. and i love beer. sorry i just wont give it up completely. lately i just havent been able to exercise as much. maybe 2x per week.

If you are in a normal BMI range, I dont know theres much evidence that lowering your weight further it will lower your Triglycerides (ask your doctor though) IF your doctor agrees, you may not need to lower your beer or pasta beyond what you have done. I would say consume more olive oil, which shouldnt be hard for someone who loves Italian food, but Im not sure if it really lowers tri's. I guess the best thing is exercise.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:30 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,761,367 times
Quote:
thats what i usually need to work on. greatly lowering trigs. my LDL is only a little over and my HDL is only alittle under. jogging is key if i can get my lazy ass to do it more often.
The good new is that you can get them down quickly--I think they're almost as responsive to what you eat as your blood sugar but the bad news is that you have to stay on top of it. If you don't like to jog, why not find something more amusing? Jogging is like walking a treadmill for me and about as exciting so I dance for fun and exercise. If you like to hike or bike you can join a meetup group so you always have someone to go with and you can build quite a social life if that's what you want. Or jog 1 day, dance 1 day, bike 1 day and hike 1 day. Who says it has to be all or nothing?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,230,902 times
all good suggestions. when i first got the bad news it was around 3-4 years ago. the doc scared the crap out of me and i went on the diet to end all diets. i also binged on oatmeal and jogged several days a week. now that did put me in the safe range but after a while i just couldnt take the diet anymore. i had to back off and binge on pizza and wings for a bit. one thing led to another and i stopped the diet/jogging all together. my next blood test showed my trigs at 600. so i know that the diet will work if i stick to it. now with adding lovasa especially. i just hate dieting!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,105,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
triglycerides are bad but why on earth would you want to fight cholesterol ??

That is one of the healthiest steroids your body can get

Do you exercise ? and what type of fats are in your diet ?
Only a small minority of researchers question the link between high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. Not all statins have statistically reduced heart disease (example Vitorin) but Lipitor's track record is long and strong. Without getting into good vs. bad cholesterol - I think it is irresponsible for you to suggest that someone should not reduce their cholesterol.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,230,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Only a small minority of researchers question the link between high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. Not all statins have statistically reduced heart disease (example Vitorin) but Lipitor's track record is long and strong. Without getting into good vs. bad cholesterol - I think it is irresponsible for you to suggest that someone should not reduce their cholesterol.
the main reason that i dont want to get on any type of statin med is that i have read alot about negative side effects. including severe memory loss.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
all good suggestions. when i first got the bad news it was around 3-4 years ago. the doc scared the crap out of me and i went on the diet to end all diets. i also binged on oatmeal and jogged several days a week. now that did put me in the safe range but after a while i just couldnt take the diet anymore. i had to back off and binge on pizza and wings for a bit. one thing led to another and i stopped the diet/jogging all together. my next blood test showed my trigs at 600. so i know that the diet will work if i stick to it. now with adding lovasa especially. i just hate dieting!

but the good news is you are not overweight. If you dont have a blood sugar issue, Im not sure there is any particular reason to avoid carbs. Or mono/poly unsat fats. The conventional wisdom (I know some folks here wont agree) is to cut back the sat fats and exercise more.

Thats all. Maybe not so hard? How about chicken wings without the skin? Or vegan wings from Morningstar farms? either way, you can still do the hot sauce. Try a soy cheeze pizza. Or just keep the amount of pizza down, and have pasta with vegetables and lots of olive oil instead. Or just track your sat fat consumption.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Without getting into good vs. bad cholesterol - I think it is irresponsible for you to suggest that someone should not reduce their cholesterol.
you have to get into it. My doc would kill me if I tried to reduce my HDL, rather than my LDL or tri's.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,191,158 times
Quote:
But remember that high cholesterol is just one risk factor, along with smoking, genetics, age, and level of activity. One has to weigh the risk of using drugs to control it versus the probability that higher cholesterol will lead to health issues in any given individual. If you have no or few other risk factors you may not want or need to use these drugs and your doctor may tell you that.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,761,367 times
Quote:
I read that some people who have taken Lipitor can get a strange and fortunately rare type of amnesia where you can actually lose your memory for about 12 hours and go about their business but have absolutely no memory of what happened during that time. That would terrify me and I'd rather take my chances with high cholesterol. Besides I don't trust the party line--smells too much like money to me. Your body and brain both produce cholesterol and it's a necessary substance.

Also just because a small minority of researchers question the link? That doesn't change my mind at all. Had a relative in the 1800's who gave quinine to the settlers to control the malaria in the area and he was denounced by the city docs as a quack.

Besides, my mother took Lipitor for years and got to the point where she couldn't walk and began showing signs of dementia during that time. Sure, you can talk me into taking Lipitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss