Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times

Advertisements

but sorry, it doesnt involve INCREASING consumption of meat and butterfat either, or cutting out carbs.

Cholesterol-lowering foods better than low-fat diet? What study says - HealthPop - CBS News

Soy protein, oats and barley, and nuts.

Whoddathunkit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
There's more than one way to skin a cat. I notice they didn't mention Weight Watchers, either.

PS - Low-carbers don't cut OUT carbs, they reduce them. My dinner tonight was Carribbean jerk chicken with green beans, onion, and red pepper. When the weather cools, I'll be eating hot cereals that include oat bran. We use soy protein in low-carbing.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:15 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
I eat a handful of almonds every day on my low carb routine and so according to that article, I'm covered. I still do low carb to get and keep the weight off. I don't see anything there that's inconsistent with what I'm doing now. The good news is it appears sat fats don't have much of an impact either way as long as you get rid of the weight, exercise, and eat enough other good stuff.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
There's more than one way to skin a cat. I notice they didn't mention Weight Watchers, either.
No, but WW isn't constantly dissing whole grains and soy, as at least SOME low carb advocates do. Indeed ALL the foods listed could easily fit into WW.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 08-26-2011 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The good news is it appears sat fats don't have much of an impact either way as long as you get rid of the weight, exercise, and eat enough other good stuff.

Just to clarify low sat fat vs whatever the amount of sat fat the folks eating the "cholesterol lowering fooods" in this study ate doesnt matter. The article doesnt say what that latter amount is.

eating much higher levels of sat fat might well matter - not tested in this study.

and, though I was the OP, let me caveat, as always, its just one study.

Though its consistent with earlier studies on the benefits of oats, for example.

That a serving of nuts is as much protection as oats appears to be new to me - thats where I would like to see more studies.

Also interesting that soy is protective. Even processed soy, apparently, which has been much denigrated based on other studies.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
PS - Low-carbers don't cut OUT carbs, .

yes, I should have used more precise language.

Of course low sat fat diets dont cut out all sat fats, etc, etc. Its almost impossible to completely cut out any one macronutrient, I think.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
yes, I should have used more precise language.

Of course low sat fat diets dont cut out all sat fats, etc, etc. Its almost impossible to completely cut out any one macronutrient, I think.
Yes, I'd agree. Few foods are purely one macronutrient. And your body can create glucose out of non-carbohydrate sources (gluconeogenesis).

Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxedoutbrattpower View Post
Cholesterol is necessary for life. Low cholesterol leads to death. The Framingham Study debunked the Ancel Keys Lipid Theory about 40 years ago.

Framingham Heart Study
This is incorrect. The study provided evidence that high HDL levels reduced the risk of heart disease.

This thread pertains to LDL levels, which the study confirms is a risk at high levels of heart disease.

Not all cholesterol is the same. High LDL = bad. High HDL = good.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Nobody has a higher success rate than people taking Lipitor or other statins to lower cholesterol.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:53 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
This is incorrect. The study provided evidence that high HDL levels reduced the risk of heart disease.

This thread pertains to LDL levels, which the study confirms is a risk at high levels of heart disease.

Not all cholesterol is the same. High LDL = bad. High HDL = good.

Actually, I read something recently that the difference in people who dies between the control and test groups were something like in group one something like 1.6% of the people died due to heart and in group 2 something like 2% died. it was a difference of around 3 people.

But, they used this data to say something like 20% more people die when cholestoral stays high arent used... even though the total wasnt statistically significant...

All I'm saying is dont take the abstract of a study, or the medias headline to explain what a study says...

I wish medical studies data was a bit more public.

I'll look for the article I read that in

Here

Watch this if you're interested

How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vr-c...layer_embedded

And check out this article
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27taubes.html

Last edited by Highwyre237; 09-01-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss