Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why in the world would you eat that crap? The fact that it stays fresh for a month is disturbing.
This "crap" is nothing more than preservatives for the meat.

And not everyone has time to cook using fresh meat in every single meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
I eat a small amount of everything that I fancy. Everything in moderation, and I have lower than average blood pressure, have low cholesterol, very low triglycerides no risk of heart disease, am and always have been very slim and very fit.

I don't like these pedantic bores who try to call you up on every last thing you put in your mouth and say "oh it's got this chemical and that chemical in it, it's POISON!!!!11!!!!!1!"

My grand dad who is 77 eats chocolate, cakes, but all in moderation and he still plays tennis and is the same weight as when he was 18. Doesn't have all the typical health issues most older people have!

Most people simply eat too much. It doesn't matter what it is, if you eat too much, it's bad for you.

I will eat what I want when I want.

Do I eat meat? Oh yes.

Do I eat sugar? Oh yes.

Do I things with unpronounceable chemicals in? Oh yes.

But I only eat these a little at a time. Not all at once and every day like most of the people who end up with obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure.

Your attitude to your food and how you moderate what you eat is what matters. Too much of anything is bad for you. Eating too many bananas will kill you. Drinking too much water will kill you.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Because not everyone has time to cook using fresh meat for every single meal.

Sure they do...they just choose not to have the time. That's one of the biggest excuses ppl use for not eating healthy.

And what I said was....roast the breast and slice it into daily portions..not cooking it everyday. You can freeze some portions or keep them in the fridge to use for your salads or sandwiches.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
This "crap" is nothing more than preservatives for the meat.

And not everyone has time to cook using fresh meat in every single meal.

lol it's still crap no matter what you choose to call it.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Healthy food is fresh and raw. Mostly fruits and veggies.

Once refined sugar is included it is stepping into the 'bad' zone. Further along the path to 'bad' is processed wheat, and the entire huge array of chemicals that are commonly added to change flavor, smell, texture and shelf-life.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
... And not everyone has time to cook using fresh meat in every single meal.
You may possibly 'need' one portion of meat, eaten once a week. Humans have no documented 'need' for any more protein than that.

Most of our protein 'needs' are easily supplied from plant sources.

So one portion of meat: fish, white meat, red meat, eaten once a week.

Why do you wish to consume meat with every meal?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You may possibly 'need' one portion of meat, eaten once a week. Humans have no documented 'need' for any more protein than that.

Most of our protein 'needs' are easily supplied from plant sources.

So one portion of meat: fish, white meat, red meat, eaten once a week.

Why do you wish to consume meat with every meal?
I don't eat meat with every meal. I eat meat with maybe 1 - 2 meals out of 6 meals per day.

What I am referring to is the fact that every time I make turkey breast sandwiches, I don't want to have to cook them. I like the convenience of taking a couple of slices of pre-prepared deli turkey breast from a package.

And regarding need for protein, I lift weights, and protein is needed for building muscle.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I don't eat meat with every meal. I eat meat with maybe 1 - 2 meals out of 6 meals per day.

What I am referring to is the fact that every time I make turkey breast sandwiches, I don't want to have to cook them. I like the convenience of taking a couple of slices of pre-prepared deli turkey breast from a package.
For the sake of convenience!

I understand.

However the OP was asking about what is healthy.

Quote:
... And regarding need for protein, I lift weights, and protein is needed for building muscle.
You bought into the marketing. Dont feel bad Millions of dollars have been spent on the ad campaigns and propaganda.

Are you suggesting that cultures where meat is only eaten once/week [or less] have nobody who is muscular?

The Roman Armies marched on a diet of barley. They occasionally supplemented their diet with game [including rodents and small birds]. The point here is that they did not eat meat on a daily basis. When they did get meat it was often no more than a mouthful [being shared among many].

The Roman Armies conquered nearly every nation they marched against.

When you lift weights to build muscle and eat red meat everyday; a lot of that protein leaves your body in your urine stream.

Consider - yogurt, quinoa, nuts, beans, grains, ...

Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Sure they do...they just choose not to have the time. That's one of the biggest excuses ppl use for not eating healthy.

And what I said was....roast the breast and slice it into daily portions..not cooking it everyday. You can freeze some portions or keep them in the fridge to use for your salads or sandwiches.
Sorry, but I do have other interests in life besides food preparation, and I don't want to have to deal with purchasing and cooking fresh turkey meat on a regular basis, just so I can enjoy a turkey breast sandwich for lunch.

I often make sandwiches to go, and it is much easier just grabbing two pre-measured slices from a package which fit nicely between slices of bread, than it is to deal with cutting up fresh turkey myself.

Regarding your other comment ... I eat significantly healthier than most, so please don't lump me into the category of "not eating healthy". That is totally absurd!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but I do have other interests in life besides food preparation, and I don't want to have to deal with purchasing and cooking fresh turkey meat on a regular basis, just so I can enjoy a turkey breast sandwich for lunch.

I often make sandwiches to go, and it is much easier just grabbing two pre-measured slices from a package which fit nicely between slices of bread, than it is to deal with cutting up fresh turkey myself.

Regarding your other comment ... I eat significantly healthier than most, so please don't lump me into the category of "not eating healthy". That is totally absurd!

Did you even read my posts?

I never said you'd cut fresh turkey and cook it everytime you want a sandwich. I clearly said, twice and now would be the third time, that you roast it ( and that takes maybe an hour once a week) and slice it and prepackage it for your daily portions.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but based on your list, you dont eat healhier than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss