U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-01-2011, 05:41 PM

594 posts, read 712,002 times
Oh my, so many inaccuracies, I don't know where to begin!

First, I'm fairly certain if you read the label on your protein shake, it will say "Not a meal replacement". You have to get specific meal replacement shakes, not just any whey protein. You cannot cut out all solid foods! You can replace 1 meal a day with a protein shake and that will help you, but you cannot cut out all foods. Not only is cutting out all solid foods bad for your health, but it also affects your metabolism. Your metabolism will slow down and make it harder for you to lose weight in the long run.

Second, YOU CANNOT TURN FAT INTO MUSCLE! Such a huge misconception from people who never work out. They are completely different things! You have to lose the fat first, then build muscle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 06:09 PM

10,852 posts, read 9,321,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
First, I'm fairly certain if you read the label on your protein shake, it will say "Not a meal replacement". You have to get specific meal replacement shakes, not just any whey protein.
That's a very conservative approach though. Whey is a poor choice for a meal replacement shake for the reasons I already outlined, but outside of the hunger issue there really isn't much downside to it.

Quote:
You cannot cut out all solid foods! You can replace 1 meal a day with a protein shake and that will help you, but you cannot cut out all foods. Not only is cutting out all solid foods bad for your health, but it also affects your metabolism. Your metabolism will slow down and make it harder for you to lose weight in the long run.
I wouldn't say that. There is a diet out there called the Velocity Diet which is literally nothing but liquid nutrition for several weeks to months. Now I am not a fan of that and certainly don't advocate it except in rare circumstances, but it can be done and works quite well.

The OP might be interested in checking out this book by Lyle McDonald. It follows the same basic premise (very low calories and carbs) but with food rather than protein shakes.

The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook by Lyle McDonald | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM

1,631 posts, read 1,493,654 times
If you want to do an all liquid diet, I think you should check out this site and watch the documentary:

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film

The documentary is available to watch instantly if you have netflix. I watched it last week when I was home from work one day and I thought it was very intriguing. I don't think I could ever do a full 60 day juice fast like the guy did in the film, but I really want to try a shorter one now.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,344,051 times
Wouldn't recommend an all liquid diet, as I had to do that for two week prior to my GB surgery. But I do recommend replacing at least one meal/day with a protein drink and two would be better if you can handle it. The two weeks of nothing but liquids made me Extremely angry, especially the first 4-5 days. Can't really explain it, but boy was I mad at everything. Probably was the huge shock to the system, especially since prior to that, I was being the ultimate pig because I knew all that was about to change.
All bariatric patients have to live with a high protein diet and protein drinks/bars are the two easiest ways to accomplish that. My current favorites are the Full Bar, Glucerna, and Atkins drinks. Quite a few of the bars are also good. I recommend trying one of each and determining what will work for you; just make sure you read the labels! Some of them are very bad for weight loss and can contain over 400 calories. I rarely do anything that is over 200 calories. Many of these bars also have a lot of other benefits like vitamins, minerals, etc. However, you should probably take a multi-vitamin every day if you aren't already and may also want to consider Citrical because you will most likely become calcium deficient.
I've been doing this since the middle of August 2010 and have literally cut my weight in half, so I know what I'm saying works and I also know it's safe because everything I did was under a doctor's supervision. Of course you should get with your doctor to make sure it will work for you as well and also get your blood tested routinely. The only issues I had was lower than normal calcium and potassium. Citrical takes care of the latter and potassium is something most of us are probably deficient in. BTW, a banana is far from the best place to get it..

Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 PM

575 posts, read 145,133 times
What's the hurry? How long did it take you to gain the weight? It will take some time to loss it properly and in a healthy way. See a nutritionist to get the healthiest advice and a sensible weight loss plan made just for you. Your body needs fuel to work out which means food or you will be left very weak.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 AM

457 posts, read 134,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
OK I have decided to go on liquid protein diet.
I bought a myoplex shake mix with about 250 calories per serving.
I plan on drinking two to threes shakes 500-750 calories a day.
Im trying to loose 40-80lbs and tone up for the spring/summer season.

In the middle of my diet I plan supplememting my diet with low carb chicken cesar salads and subway food, so I can keep off the weight. then I will go on a workout regimen.

Im currently 5'10 235. with very wide hips and butt which looks weird
on a male.
IM trying to get down to around 180, with most of the weightloss,coming from my stomach and lowerbody. and then add about 10-15lbs through working out to my upperbody.

I would just use the fat I have now and turn it into muscle but I need
to loose weight to flatten and shrink my butt and hips especiallly for dress
pants in the office. I have to impress all the new ladies in the office lol.

any tips should I do anything to different.
This is also my problem. I want to lose weight in my butt. Any success OP?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM

14,367 posts, read 11,896,122 times
I feel like a liquid diet is not something guys should be doing. That doesn't seem healthy at all.

As long as you're eating good and not eating too many calories you will lose weight. Keep working out and running and you'll be fine.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,063,094 times
I have known a few people that have done this diet. They are all bigger now then when they started it.
Gimmick diets don't work because at some point you will go back to eating solid food. If you are not disciplined enough to follow a healthy diet after the liquid you will fail.
Why do people insist the weight come off fast? It did not go on fast. Fast weight loss leads to weight gain and then the vicious circle starts again.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM

457 posts, read 134,855 times
What would be the healthy way to lose fat below the waist?

I have a stocky build but i don't like the butt size. I use to work-out a lot. deadlifts, squats, bench press, military presses, etc were my thang. Last year, I went into a depression and suffered from social anxieties to the point that i didn't go out to the gym or hang out with friends. I gained like 10lbs; i still have my musculature build.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,063,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
What would be the healthy way to lose fat below the waist?

I have a stocky build but i don't like the butt size. I use to work-out a lot. deadlifts, squats, bench press, military presses, etc were my thang. Last year, I went into a depression and suffered from social anxieties to the point that i didn't go out to the gym or hang out with friends. I gained like 10lbs; i still have my musculature build.
No way to get fat to come off one part of the body. Your body will choose where it wants to drop weight first and there is not a lot you can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss