U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 PM

2,702 posts, read 4,516,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Whey can make you a farty mess...fo' sho'.
It didn't give me any gas at all, it was just very binding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,825,592 times
OP, I have read but not sure where, that psyllium seeds are very binding for some people and I was glad to read this b/c I think I have that problem. You might try a different fiber. Inulin fiber is supposed to be good--esp if you take probiotics with it, b/c the inulin (prebiotics) works in tandem with the probiotics. I"m pretty sure that's what they use in Activia yogurt, but I'm sure other brands are doing that now too.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:11 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,248,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Hi Aleecya,

Look up suggested diets for PCOS online (also look up insulin reducing diets as those with PCOS have higher insulin levels and it's crucial to get them down if you don't want diabetes etc. later in life).

My doc (Naturopath) wants me to avoid the following:
all grains
all root vegetables
all sweetners except stevia and perhaps xylitol
all caffeine and decaf items
all breads, candy, chocolate and baked goods etc.
all drinks with sugars in them
all alchohol

Look at all nutirional labels and if it's got more than 2 g of sugar in it, it's most likely best to avoid. This is a VERY small portion of the info, it's best to see a Naturopath.

This plan is VERY strict but it's what it takes to avoid further complications from PCOS. If you are young, start now and get used to it and you will see results.

Are you taking metformin? It worked wonders for me.

Most docs don't have enough knowledge on this condition, even my doc who specializes in it is always buying books with new research and studying the condition to figure out what is best. Yahoo has some groups on PCOS but I don't want to spend that much time focusing on it so I don't belong to them.

Good luck!
I don't understand the issue with coffee or alcohol. Both have health benefits that probably outweigh any negative effects. The only downside I can think is they might stimulate your appetite. However, neither has any or many carbs so shouldn't of themselves raise insulin levels.

My recommendation is increase your intake of green vegetables especially those with fiber like asparagus. I'll bet if you fill your plate with half green vegetables and the other half with fats and proteins and stay away from simple carbs (along with getting in some exercise every day) you won't have any more digestive issues or food related problems of any other kind.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't understand the issue with coffee or alcohol. Both have health benefits that probably outweigh any negative effects. The only downside I can think is they might stimulate your appetite. However, neither has any or many carbs so shouldn't of themselves raise insulin levels.

My recommendation is increase your intake of green vegetables especially those with fiber like asparagus. I'll bet if you fill your plate with half green vegetables and the other half with fats and proteins and stay away from simple carbs (along with getting in some exercise every day) you won't have any more digestive issues or food related problems of any other kind.
Coffee and wine (my choice of alcoholic drink) both increase insulin and when you are prone to too much, it's not good, I do sometimes have a decaf coffee with cream, and a glass (or two) or red wine. Funny I seem to lose more when when I'm having a glass of red wine nightly and that appartently makes no sense at all.

New studies show that women who consume 3-6 glasses of wine per week have a 50% higher chance of getting breast cancer.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,248,903 times
Quote:
Coffee and wine (my choice of alcoholic drink) both increase insulin and when you are prone to too much, it's not good, I do sometimes have a decaf coffee with cream, and a glass (or two) or red wine. Funny I seem to lose more when when I'm having a glass of red wine nightly and that appartently makes no sense at all.

New studies show that women who consume 3-6 glasses of wine per week have a 50% higher chance of getting breast cancer.
You might want to double check that. I'm a pretty hard core Atkins fan and have never read anything about coffee or alchohol affecting insulin. Carbs, especially sugar, will increase insulin but if you drink your coffee black and don't drink any sweetened mixers with your liquor I don't think you're going to produce significant insulin spikes.

New studies have also shown that drinking, even drinking heavily, reduces heart disease. That finding linking that small amount of wine with such a large increase in breast cancer rates can't possibly be right. Can someone else on here verify that?

Edit: The study said 15% not 50%. A woman in her 50s has a 2.4% chance of getting breast cancer which rises to 2.76% with moderate alcohol conumption.. Is that really enough to worry about? You're more likely to get killed in a car accident if you leave your house but you still do it.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 11-24-2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
You might want to double check that. I'm a pretty hard core Atkins fan and have never read anything about coffee or alchohol affecting insulin. Carbs, especially sugar, will increase insulin but if you drink your coffee black and don't drink any sweetened mixers with your liquor I don't think you're going to produce significant insulin spikes.

New studies have also shown that drinking, even drinking heavily, reduces heart disease. That finding linking that small amount of wine with such a large increase in breast cancer rates can't possibly be right. Can someone else on here verify that?

Edit: The study said 15% not 50%. A woman in her 50s has a 2.4% chance of getting breast cancer which rises to 2.76% with moderate alcohol conumption.. Is that really enough to worry about? You're more likely to get killed in a car accident if you leave your house but you still do it.
I do have wine now and then, and more lately maybe 3-5 glasses per week. I am not worried about it too much and interestingly I have found I am more apt to lose weight when I drink it. I can't find the logic in that though. As far as the caffeine goes, I do get blood sugar drops after drinking it but usually I do have one decaf per day.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:37 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,686,045 times
So have you already cut out wheat completely from your diet? I only ask because you have celiac, so any amount of wheat could be why your intestines are out of whack...

I recently eliminated wheat from my diet completely and it has made a huge difference in the digestion department. It might be worth looking into that more; according to what I read getting rid of wheat could help with every issue you mentioned. (Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight) I swear, I have no incentive to promote that book at all, I'm just really shocked by how different I feel already and, I don't know, I guess having the knowledge makes me feel like I really have a chance at getting the results I've worked for my whole life and never obtained. I really hope that is what happens... But, you may have already taken the step of cutting out wheat. I just wasn't sure because you mentioned specifically that you eat complex carbs (which tons of places tout as being healthy), and I think they could be what is causing your problem since most carbs are wheat or other grains in the typical American diet.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
So have you already cut out wheat completely from your diet? I only ask because you have celiac, so any amount of wheat could be why your intestines are out of whack...

I recently eliminated wheat from my diet completely and it has made a huge difference in the digestion department. It might be worth looking into that more; according to what I read getting rid of wheat could help with every issue you mentioned. (Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight) I swear, I have no incentive to promote that book at all, I'm just really shocked by how different I feel already and, I don't know, I guess having the knowledge makes me feel like I really have a chance at getting the results I've worked for my whole life and never obtained. I really hope that is what happens... But, you may have already taken the step of cutting out wheat. I just wasn't sure because you mentioned specifically that you eat complex carbs (which tons of places tout as being healthy), and I think they could be what is causing your problem since most carbs are wheat or other grains in the typical American diet.
I cut out all wheat and gluten completely about 3 years ago when I was diagnosed...wheat isn't enough to cut out, as gluten is in almost everything these days. Unfortunately, cutting out wheat (and most grains) didn't do much to help me lose weight.

Wheat and gluten never caused noticeable issues with digestion for me (I know that's uncommon) but it damaged my intestines according to some of the tests.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
....never read anything about coffee or alchohol affecting insulin.
Edit: The study said 15% not 50%.
My doc says it does effect insulin so I believed him, maybe not in the usual way but if I drink a coffee I get all shaky afterwards (low blood sugar) and want to eat something to bring up my blood sugar.

That's good news about the study, I like my glass of wine .

Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 AM

1,883 posts, read 1,686,045 times
Quote:
Wheat and gluten never caused noticeable issues with digestion for me (I know that's uncommon) but it damaged my intestines according to some of the tests.
Actually, according to what I read in that book I mentioned, it's surprisingly common for people to have problems with gluten and not know it because they don't have any digestive symptoms. Crazy, right?

The book focuses on wheat because that's makes up about 75% of the typical American's grain consumption. But, he mentions all the other grains with gluten in them in the book as well. It's quite interesting, at least to me.

It is tough to avoid wheat and gluten, they really do seem to be in everything! Good for you for doing it though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss