Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM

275 posts, read 773,407 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband and I have lost a total of 80lbs in 4 months mostly by making healthy eating changes and portion control. We deliberately did not start on an exercise program because we knew the weight loss would eventually slow down then we can jump start it with an exercise program. So we will start an exercise program soon, however, I would like to know if there are any other methods you tried in the past that worked with weight plateaus? I read things like going back to eat high calorie foods for couple of weeks or alternating high calorie with low calorie days might work. Any other ideas are appreciated? We are feeling awesome and I don't want us to get discouraged and lose momentum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Congrats on your success! Keep doing what you've been doing, and add the exercise to see if that doesn't break that plateau. Gradually increase the intensity and duration of your exercise, too.

Are you planning to do any strength training? That also makes a big difference.

Plateaus are common and normal; they are your body's way of adjusting to the changes you're making in nutrition and exercise. Don't let them discourage you.

I've followed a low-carb food plan for 12 years, and if the pounds creep up, I go on what's called a "meat fast" for a few days, where I increase my protein intake and cut my carbohydrate intake way down.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Thanks Ohiogirl81, I am so proud of us, really. Plateau is becoming more of a problem for my husband right now. He lost 50lbs so he is really slowing down in his weight loss and getting discouraged. I like your idea of meat fast. Perhaps my husband could try that but do opposite. His current diet is protein heavy, he loses more that way. He could try several days of carb heavy diet and see if there is any change. Mean while we will start with cardio exercise and add strength training.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Congrats on your weight loss. Please do not do any kind of a 'fast'. It will only be counterproductive in the long run. Just keep doing what you have been doing. Exercise is going to be the plateau breaker. It is now time to mix things up. Add strength training if you have not yet. Up your cardio intensity. Try doing intervals which really help the calorie burn, or just choose a new way to work out like a different sport or class.
Also realize as you get smaller the amount of weight you drop on a weekly basis is going to go down quite a bit. Do not get discouraged. Any weight loss no matter how small is a move in the right direction.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Congrats on your weight loss. Please do not do any kind of a 'fast'. It will only be counterproductive in the long run.
That hasn't been my experience; meat fasts have been quite helpful for me when I was actively losing, and even now that I'm maintaining a 140-pound loss when I allow old habits to resurface.

A meat fast is nothing more than eating mostly protein for one or two days, and drinking plenty of water -- a little more intense than Atkins or South Beach induction phases, which is why you do it only for a day or two. Atkins and South Beach recommend returning to induction for two weeks when you have a plateau or have gained weight.

Then you continue with your normal food plan. Quite simple, actually.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That hasn't been my experience; meat fasts have been quite helpful for me when I was actively losing, and even now that I'm maintaining a 140-pound loss when I allow old habits to resurface.

A meat fast is nothing more than eating mostly protein for one or two days, and drinking plenty of water -- a little more intense than Atkins or South Beach induction phases, which is why you do it only for a day or two. Atkins and South Beach recommend returning to induction for two weeks when you have a plateau or have gained weight.

Then you continue with your normal food plan. Quite simple, actually.
I am glad it worked for you. But I stand by my position that fasts do more harm than good. I am also a firm believer in not eliminating any food groups.
There is no magic bullet to losing weight, just consume less than you burn. Its simple mathematics. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that doing a meat fast would be good for ones body or digestive system.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Default We lost a total of 80lbs between my husband and I but now we hit a weight plateau, any suggestions?

Ya'll need exercise to burn calories, firm up your muscle tone,
and increase your metabolism.

Sex burns four times the calories, as the same time in football.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:19 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Start measuring. Sometimes I would shrink but my weight would stay the same or go up. It did go up when exercising quite a bit at first. Usually 5-10 lbs. But then it would drop and take me to a lower measurement at the same original weight.

Start measuring accomplishments now by sticking to your plan and sticking to some exercise. Start slow so you stick with it.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 AM

Thanks everyone. While I normally agree with Luckyd609, in this case I don't think it will cause any harm to change some food groups around for a few days. My diet is pretty balanced, I get both carbs and protein. My husband on the other hand can't loose with carb/protein diet. We have tried this in the past. So he has a more protein heavy diet. Nothing as drastic as Atkins but his carb intake is low. I do think switching things around a little might help jolt his body back to losing weight. Add exercise and we should be fine.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Start measuring. Sometimes I would shrink but my weight would stay the same or go up. It did go up when exercising quite a bit at first. Usually 5-10 lbs. But then it would drop and take me to a lower measurement at the same original weight.

Start measuring accomplishments now by sticking to your plan and sticking to some exercise. Start slow so you stick with it.

I do measure my body and I also log everything I eat. Nutrimirror.com has been a life saver for me. You are right, some weeks it looks like I lost nothing but when I enter my measurements for waist and hip, there is always a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss