Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I need a bit of help on my diet. I've lost around 94 lbs in the past year just by cutting back on portions, stopping snacking, cutting out red meat, cutting back on soda, and drinking more water. The problem is I think I've plateaud. I'm looking to start the Power 90 program but need a little assist with the diet.

The problem is I'm a very picky eater. I don't like most of the items you see on a lot of diets, like fish, sour cream, yogurt, fruits and veggies (though I am trying to eat more veggies), I'm pretty much a meat and potato (rice) type.

I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions people may have.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Hello all, I need a bit of help on my diet. I've lost around 94 lbs in the past year just by cutting back on portions, stopping snacking, cutting out red meat, cutting back on soda, and drinking more water. The problem is I think I've plateaud. I'm looking to start the Power 90 program but need a little assist with the diet.

The problem is I'm a very picky eater. I don't like most of the items you see on a lot of diets, like fish, sour cream, yogurt, fruits and veggies (though I am trying to eat more veggies), I'm pretty much a meat and potato (rice) type.

Thank you!
What makes you think you've plateaued? Are you exercising more along with the diet?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What makes you think you've plateaued? Are you exercising more along with the diet?
The rate of loss seems to have slowed dramatically. And to be honest I haven't been exercising really. The loss I've had so far was from changing my eating habits.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
The rate of loss seems to have slowed dramatically. And to be honest I haven't been exercising really. The loss I've had so far was from changing my eating habits.
Would you consider trying some walking? You can start with some short ones and work your way up. I found that helped me keep things going.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Would you consider trying some walking? You can start with some short ones and work your way up. I found that helped me keep things going.
Definitely. I was doing some walking over the Summer but it was just too damn hot in central Texas (I was in Alaska before Texas). I'm in AZ and it's a lot more temperate so I think walking would be good.

But I do want to work on the diet as well. Any suggestions?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:57 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Exercise is your answer. Experiment and find something you like to do. Start with walking and go from there.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:

Thank you!
First of all, congratulations on the 94 pounds so far.
Second, I've never heard of sour cream as being a diet food. It's a pretty rich, ultra-fat product.
Third, eliminate the soda entirely, and that might just be the push you need to get the next phase. Do -not- replace it with "diet" anything. Just replace it with plain, unflavored water, or if you absolutely must flavor it, add a squeeze of a wedge of lemon or lime to the glass, no sweetener.

LEAN red meat is a good protein, and if you're not eating fish, fruits, veggies, or red meat, you might be lacking protein. Add a little. Just a few ounces per day.

Try to add at least one green salad every other day, with romaine, spinach or baby spinach, green-leaf and red-leaf lettuce, a couple cherry or grape tomatoes, a pinch of cheese for flavoring, maybe a few brocolli florettes, some snap peas, a couple of fresh baby carrots, a leaf or two of endive or curly-leaf lettuce, a half dozen or so chickpeas, and dress it simply with a splash of olive oil and vinegar.

Reduce whatever potatoes or other starch (corn, bread, pasta) to 1/4 less of whatever you're currently consuming. So - if you're having a plate of pasta, have 3/4 of a plate of pasta. If you're having 2 slices of bread, have just 1 big slice instead. If you have a full ladle of mashed potatoes, have 3/4 of a ladle of them.

If you do all that AND excercise, the rest should come off easy, and still give you plenty of food options to enjoy.

Definitely walk! Or turn on the stereo and dance in the privacy and comfort of your living room, for at least 15 minutes, twice every day (minimum 30 minutes total daily)!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Second, I've never heard of sour cream as being a diet food. It's a pretty rich, ultra-fat product.
It's allowed on Atkins after you get past induction. 1 oz. (a couple tablespoons?) only has 59 calories. The bigger issue is what you put it on or in.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
It's allowed on Atkins after you get past induction. 1 oz. (a couple tablespoons?) only has 59 calories. The bigger issue is what you put it on or in.
Well yeah as a topping...but when you include "sour cream" in a list of "full serving" type foods such as veggies, meat, fish...I thought they were talking about like - eating half a cup of the stuff.

I'm a huge fan of sour cream, myself, and enjoy it right out of the bowl with a spoon. But - half a cup of sour cream provides a person with 75% of their -total- daily recommended maximum of saturated fat. Even two tablespoons is 16% - that's 1/6 of the total daily max. I can think of more tasty things to spend my max sat fat on. Like - two tablespoons of coffee ice cream, for example

Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Greek yogurt is a good sub for sour cream.

Accept that your loss will be slower though. You lost almost 100 lbs so your body is going to use less food to support itself (calories). That means doing the same things is going to give you a slower loss because overall you are burning less calories than you were 100 lbs ago.

If you like rice and potato things mix veggies into them. For example I like mac and cheese. So I mix 2-3 scoops of veggies with 1-2 scoops of mac and cheese. Stir it up and you have a nice little cheesy dish full of veggies. They also make a mac and cheese that has veggies mixed in the pasta and count for 1/2 serving of veggies per serving(along with the starch part). I just use the "veggie steamers" bags you buy in the freezer section to keep it easy.

If you love baked potato try adding broccoli
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss