Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

I usually buy 90% fat free sirloin chopped meat.
My husband thinks he does better than I, diet wise, with his Morninstar quarter pounder grillers.

His grillers, on the box, state 10% saturated fat and 18% total fat, not saying where the other 8 come from.

Which is actually the better heart healthy choice?

Isn't the actual hamburger lower in overall fat and identical in saturated fat? So it would seem to be the healthier choice?

I am not interested in becoming a vegetarian, nor am I interested in another brand or type of burger. I am allergic to mushrooms and a lot of these contain mushrooms.

Thank you for thinking about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
According to this: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, ground, 90% lean meat / 10% fat, loaf, cooked, baked [hamburger, ground sirloin]

A three oz portion of round sirloin has 19%DV saturated fat, which is twice as much as the veggie burger, and is higher in cholesterol.

The Morningstar nutrition is here: Morningstar Farms® -MorningStarFarmsGrillersOriginal

I don't think you're ever going to be able to argue that red meat is heart healthier than a veggie burger.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
According to this: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, ground, 90% lean meat / 10% fat, loaf, cooked, baked [hamburger, ground sirloin]

A three oz portion of round sirloin has 19%DV saturated fat, which is twice as much as the veggie burger, and is higher in cholesterol.

The Morningstar nutrition is here: Morningstar Farms® -MorningStarFarmsGrillersOriginal

I don't think you're ever going to be able to argue that red meat is heart healthier than a veggie burger.
Ah, so 10% fat sirloin is actually 19% saturated fat? I don't understand, but sure, without questioning anything it would appear that we all should stay away from red meat - but the fat is the reason why.

So, if the meat is 90% lean free, how can it be 19% saturated fat? Defies logic.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
90/10 ground beef doesn't mean that it's 90% fat free. It just means that the meat mix is 90% lean beef, which still contains fat.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
I would think that the sirloin is 10% fat by weight, but that translates into 19% of your daily recommended saturated fat intake per serving under traditional dietary guidelines.

Veggie patties probably don't give fat by weight. In the nutrition facts, it'll tell you that one serving contains 10% of fat based on what you should eat in a day, nothing to do with fat/filler volume or weight.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Yeah it's recommended daily value, not actual content. The chart specifies that.
The total fat amount of this 3-ounce slab of ground beef, contains 9 grams of fat. That 9 grams represents 15% of the daily recommended value. The 9 grams does -not- represent 15% fat. You can see that clearly by looking at the top, where it says that 3 ounces = 85 grams total.

9 grams of fat, is 10% (give or take a fraction) of 85 grams.

OF that 9 grams, 4 of them are saturated. That's slightly less than half of the existing fat. So - approximately 4% of the total 85 gram slab of ground beef consists of saturated fat.

That 4% of saturated fat, or 4 grams out of 85, represents 19% of what some random nutritional guideline claims you shouldn't exceed in a 24-hour period.

Also, notice the morningstar farms burger is 20 grams lighter than the 3-ounce chunk of ground sirloin. If you used the same starting weight (in other words, all things being equal), the ground sirloin would have LESS fat overall than the morningstar farms burger. However, it would still have a higher *saturated* fat percentage, by a couple of percentage points.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
90/10 ground beef doesn't mean that it's 90% fat free. It just means that the meat mix is 90% lean beef, which still contains fat.
What, the?

90% lean beef and 10% crap. Can they do that?

So the 90% lean beef is 10% fat and
the 10% crap is 9% fat?

Doesn't sound right, somehow.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I would think that the sirloin is 10% fat by weight, but that translates into 19% of your daily recommended saturated fat intake per serving under traditional dietary guidelines.

Veggie patties probably don't give fat by weight. In the nutrition facts, it'll tell you that one serving contains 10% of fat based on what you should eat in a day, nothing to do with fat/filler volume or weight.
Don't think so, either, because that percentage has to be the percent of fat in the substance, not in your diet. Meaning if you took one ounce or one pound of that meat the percent of fat would have to be the same.

The labels on foods in the grocery stores all contain the percent of fat, sugar, sodium, etc, that is contained in the actual substance, to my understanding.

The reason why the label also specifies the portion size is because of the fat, sugar, sodium is sometimes given in weight measurements, which make it easier to compare with other products and easier to use in meal preparation. I think this is the case, anyway.

Geeze, now I'm more confused than when I started.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Try this link:

chopped sirloin vs. morningstar grillers - Compare which is healthier?

It compares nutritional value of any two foods in it's database.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Try this link:

chopped sirloin vs. morningstar grillers - Compare which is healthier?

It compares nutritional value of any two foods in it's database.
Thank you.

It says the chopped sirloin is trimmed to 1/8" fat on a 100g serving. I'd have to know what percent of fat that was to be able to compare the meat they are using to the 90% lean stuff I get at the market.

I used to be able to get 95% lean meat.

Now I really am starting to get concerned. The info should be readily available and what we get is little kinks that seem deliberately placed.

Ok. I tried the Morningstar product and just by eating it a person can tell it has very little fat.
So, the 90% lean on the meat package does not mean it is only 10% fat somehow. It is misleading.

Thank you for all your effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss