Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times

Advertisements

I am 52, male, 6'-5".

Over the past two years or so I had lost a lot of weight, partly due to some big lifestyle changes (loss of my partner, who was an avid cook) and partly through change in diet.

I got down to 175 lbs back in August/September, but usually hovererd around 180 lbs, which was/is my target weight.

Unfortunatly overindulging around Thanksgiving & Christmas pushed my weight up to the 185-190 range, and I was able to get down to 185 lbs, but seem to be stuck. Just recently I popped back up to 190 lbs again. Worried about this creeping weight gain and getting stuck at a higher weight than I want.

I think part of this is less exercise (not walking as much or swimming, like I used to do in the summer), but also I think I must be doing something wrong when it comes to eating. I was thinking of cutting out items to reduce calorie gain, but think I must be screwing up somewhere. Or it could be that "plateau" people talk about..

Anyway, going to experiment with some things to maybe change calorie intake. Dont think I can do much about exercise unless I change the type of exercise I do (which is pretty much walking and hiking...about 3 miles/day weather permitting, longer on weekends).

But was wondering if people had similar experiences and how you worked past this? It is frustrating and of concern that I'd gain back the weight I lost, incrementally....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Rather than eliminating items to reduce calories, why not just modify your portion sizes? Or, reduce the portion sizes of things you know are "hot spots" of weight-gain, and raise the portion sizes of things that are "safe."

For instance - if you usually can easily consume 5-6 slices of pizza in a single sitting...

Try having 2-3 slices, and add a tossed salad with a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar. And what the heck, enjoy a few strawberries and walnuts for dessert.

Instead of a half a roast chicken, try a whole unbreaded, skinless, boneless chicken breast fillet topped with sauteed mushrooms and bruschetta (chopped tomato, onion, garlic, with olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano). And instead of a cup and a half of mashed potatoes and gravy, try half a cup of mashed potatoes with a little shredded cheddar cheese, and a salad with baby greens, calamata olives, roasted red pepper, and balsamic vinaigrette.

See how you eat LOTS of food..and LOTS of variety. And some of it is even "fattening." But you're reducing the quantity of the "fattening stuff" and adding more of the "good stuff."

Also, when you do your walks, try walking faster. Or, every 1/4 mile, sprint for the equivalent of a New York City block. Then slow down til you're walking your usual pace again.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM

538 posts, read 731,921 times
Eat less carbs. Eat more fat.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
If you're 6'5" why would you want to go below 185-190?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times
Quote:
Or, reduce the portion sizes of things you know are "hot spots" of weight-gain, and raise the portion sizes of things that are "safe."

Also, when you do your walks, try walking faster. Or, every 1/4 mile, sprint for the equivalent of a New York City block
..yes these are two ideas I am working on. The sprinting thing I did last year when I was losing.....mixing a run with a walk. I did that more to save time, but I can see how it might have a health benefit.

@@@

I want to be in the 180-185 range since that is within the recommended weight range using the BMI index provided by the CDC. At 180 I would be at 21.3, which falls within the 18.5 & 24.9 range they recommend. Besides, at waist size 34 I can fit into more fashinable clothes ;-)

Old 01-25-2012, 06:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
I wouldnt cut calories over 10 lbs. Just stick to healthy eating and move a little more. Something I read long ago is that we have a lower vitamin d level in our system that affects our metabolism a bit. In some people enough to have to require prescription adjustments of medication. I thought that was very interesting and could explain why most everyone puts on that 5-10 winter fat even if eating right.

Its good that you are aware! Just get back to moving before the gain becomes a real gain.You are probably just holding water weight and as soon as you do anything really active 5 pounds will be gone within the week.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
I am trying to lose weight myself but it is extremely hard for me because I take a lot of medication which are know for weight gain. While I am maintaining my current weight, I only can lose 3-5 pounds. I have been on Weight Watchers for 8 months. It does help me maintain but when I did Atkins a few years back I lose 40 pounds in 4 months. I tried Atkins as well and I can't lose weight there either.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I am trying to lose weight myself but it is extremely hard for me because I take a lot of medication which are know for weight gain. While I am maintaining my current weight, I only can lose 3-5 pounds. I have been on Weight Watchers for 8 months. It does help me maintain but when I did Atkins a few years back I lose 40 pounds in 4 months. I tried Atkins as well and I can't lose weight there either.
Stick with WW if you can. Are you exercising? Are you truthful when writing down your food intake?
You may want to talk to your Dr. about the meds you are taking if you have not already. They may have some suggestions for you.
Losing 40 lbs in 4 months is a lot and not realistic for a lot of folks, unless you are very heavy to start with.
One to two pounds a week loss is normal and healthy. Its slow going but you do get to your goal eventually, and at that point you have an excellent chance of keeping the weight off for life if you continue to eat healthy.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I agree with Lucky try weight watchers. I have lost 43 lbs so far. You also do not have to deprive yourself of the foods you love like some other plans out there.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Stick with WW if you can. Are you exercising? Are you truthful when writing down your food intake?
You may want to talk to your Dr. about the meds you are taking if you have not already. They may have some suggestions for you.
Losing 40 lbs in 4 months is a lot and not realistic for a lot of folks, unless you are very heavy to start with.
One to two pounds a week loss is normal and healthy. Its slow going but you do get to your goal eventually, and at that point you have an excellent chance of keeping the weight off for life if you continue to eat healthy.
I have an appointment tomorrow so I will ask her what I can do.

40lbs in 4 months is realistic because most people on Atkins lose about 6-8 pounds the first week but even if you are losing 2-2.5 pounds a week, that's average. 2.5 pounds per week is 10 pounds per month. So 10 pounds per month is 40 pounds. I was about 180 pounds after I had my daughter so I have at least that much to lose. I was hoping to lose anything this time.

I have a app on my iPhone where I can keep track of all my WW points including a calculator. I use 26 points per day. If it wasn't for WW, I probably would have gained a ton from meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss