Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 AM

673 posts, read 3,145,584 times

Advertisements

I went back a few threads and didnt see anything on this topic (although I probably overlooked it) so I'm sorry if this is a repeat. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the South Beach Diet and if it really worked? I know someone who claims she lost alot, like 60lbs, on SB without excercising. She was pretty large and I'm questioning that.

I currently do excercise, or try to, at least 30 minutes a day. I ride bike, walk, and swim. I've also tried to cut my portions in half but of course the holiday weekend ruined that. I was thinking about trying South Beach but would like to hear from others who have tried it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 PM

255 posts, read 821,488 times
I lost about 15 pounds doing a South Beach-based diet modification -- I just stopped eating high GI carbs, including sugar, bread (that was initially painful for me, since I am a bread fiend), potatoes, and pasta. I exercised, too, for about 45 minutes a day 4-5 days a week on my treadmill (sometimes walking, sometimes running). When I stopped eating all those carbs, I noticed that I felt less bloated and didn't become hungry again as quickly. I also made sure I had low-carb snacks, like lots of part-skim string cheese, on hand.

One important thing I realized is that even if you "fall off the wagon" and say, have a big greasy doughnut, once in a great while, you can't beat yourself up over it and just give up -- you have to just get back on track and accept that you may slip up once in a while. Any "diet" that is too restrictive is likely to be unsuccessful.

I'm skeptical about the individual's claim that she was able lose to the amount of weight claimed without exercising (unless it took her a long time) -- and very doubtful that she would be able to keep it off in the long run. Exercise is critical to staying healthy, even if you're not trying to lose weight.

PS: I don't even like potatoes anymore!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
The South Beach diet is a load of horsepucky !

There is no diet other than not over eating and exercising every day. You should eat ALL foods . Do not ever diet. Doesn't work. Doesn't last.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 PM

255 posts, read 821,488 times
Arrow Methinks you might be a tad confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
The South Beach diet is a load of horsepucky !

There is no diet other than not over eating and exercising every day. You should eat ALL foods . Do not ever diet. Doesn't work. Doesn't last.
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, you seem to have missed the fact that Wi_Girl was asking if people had tried South Beach. I would personally find your post a great deal more compelling if you had personal experience with SB and provided information about that, rather than your blanket statement about dieting in general.

Further, I strongly disagree with your advice that people "should eat all foods" -- there are plenty that aren't good for you, or that aren't conducive to good health in certain people for specific reasons.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust07 View Post
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, you seem to have missed the fact that Wi_Girl was asking if people had tried South Beach. I would personally find your post a great deal more compelling if you had personal experience with SB and provided information about that, rather than your blanket statement about dieting in general.

Further, I strongly disagree with your advice that people "should eat all foods" -- there are plenty that aren't good for you, or that aren't conducive to good health in certain people for specific reasons.
Yes I tried it and it didnt work. Gained it right back.

Yes you should try to eat all foods- even those that "arent good for you" in moderation, of course.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
My husband lost 12 pounds on the South Beach diet.
And yes, he totally "fell off the wagon" and gained it all back.
(New job, big move across country, etc etc.)
While I agree that we should eat all foods in moderation, I also agree with Wanderlust that certain habits can be changed. Since the SB diet, there are certain foods that I just don't buy anymore and my husband does not miss them (at home, at least: I have no control over his lunch-time food intake.)
I really thought that the second and third phase of the SB diet was not bad at all. Some of those recipes were tasty.
When our life settles down, I might try to get him back on it again.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:40 PM

[mod] website name removed-/mod]Everyone can not eat all food because of food allergies which most people do not know about. There are many thing in foods know that cause people to gain weight. The latest studies stat that 75% of Americans will be over weight by20015. So what you are saying is that 75% of the people are eating too much food. It has a lot to do with how the food is grown, processed, and prepared. Food has sugar, MSG, Gluten, preservatives, transfats and other additives that all are said to cause some sort of health or weight issue. We eat this all day every day. [mod] website name removed-/mod]There is not enough space for me to go into the detail. Happy hunting,,,[/quote]

I guess what I meant about "eating all foods" was, not going on a diet. Yes, its true you shouldn't gorge on cookies and soft drinks and eat red meats all the time. But you can include them in your eating and not exclude them, as these "diets" suggest. Really, no foods should be off limits, you should just eat the much healthier foods and have them be the bulk of what you eat. For example- mostly fish, fruits and vegtables, and soy milk, or whole milk.
And lots of whole grains and fiber.

But these diets are wrong saying that cutting out carbs is going to help. You need carbohydrates- just not a whole lot. And you should never "diet" but just change into a lifestyle that can incorporate all kinds of foods.

Since I've been not dieting, I have lost 40 lbs in 2 years. Yeah, its slow, but I know I am not going to gain it back.
I tried South Beach and other diets- and they are so hard to stick to, that I just gave up.

These diets only work if you stick to them for the rest of your life and once you go back to eating regular, the weight returns.

My point is, never diet in the first place, but eat mostly healthy foods and exercise.And I treat myself to a piece of chocolate cake or a cookie- and I never over indulge but just enjoy it once in awhile- and it CAN FIT into a healthy eating routine.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-10-2007 at 04:41 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 05:32 PM

74 posts, read 713,060 times
I personally think that the SB diet has some very good merits. Phase 1 is difficult and extreme, but for people (like me as well) that can get totally addicted to bad carbs and fat it's a good way to flush your system and get your body used to not having lots of bread and starches. You learn real quick to replace all those lost simple carbs with veggies and that's not a bad habit to pick up. That said, I recommend most people skip phase 1 because it is so restrictive and try to stick to phases 2 and 3.

It's good that you're already exercising! Keep it up and try out the SB plan. Ultimately it prescribes good healthy eating with lots of veggies and grains and lean proteins.

Goodluck.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 AM

233 posts, read 751,664 times
with the south beach diet, it is nothing more than the sister of the atkins diet. it is false, any diet that tells you eat a lot of meat and lose weight, the only thing being lost is large amounts of water and lean muscle tissue, when meat is eaten in large amounts a byproduct of it is urea, this is something the body can not tolerate, it is large amounts of water to dilute it and eliminated it. it is something i would highly recommend you avoid.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 AM

74 posts, read 713,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
with the south beach diet, it is nothing more than the sister of the atkins diet. it is false, any diet that tells you eat a lot of meat and lose weight, the only thing being lost is large amounts of water and lean muscle tissue, when meat is eaten in large amounts a byproduct of it is urea, this is something the body can not tolerate, it is large amounts of water to dilute it and eliminated it. it is something i would highly recommend you avoid.
I have to respectfully disagree. SB does not recommend eating large amounts of meat. It focuses on large amounts of vegetables, whole grains, only lean meats, fruits, legumes, and tofu. That's pretty healthy and balanced. Not anywhere near Atkins all meat, eggs, and cheese plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss